VQ30DE on Delo 400 15W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all. I've done a search on here about the VQ30DE engine and I've read a fair bit. However I didn't come across anything about using a HDEO in it.

Now, have a 2002 Nissan Maxima with about 160,000km's on the clock. Generally used for commuting through the suburbs. Say, 20km drives. Climate is mild.

I already use Delo 400 in my Festiva, Mazda 121, R6 trackbike and TTR250 dirtbike. So yeah, what are your thoughts on using it for the Maxima? Any potential issues? Otherwise I'll use an appropriate PCMO.

Thanks for the input.

I used to read the VQ forums all the time and 40 weight oils were the favorites. There`s a perfect UOA here someplace recently with a VQ powered car running a 5W40. Just can`t remember what kind`ve oil it was.

15w40 is way too heavy for that car. The VQ30DE is not picky about its oil; some of the later VQ35HRs were much harder on oil since the motor was rather high-strung.

Stick with a 5w30 PCMO.

15W40 is too thick. I am using 5W30 PU for my Maxima. I am think about using 0W40 if I am working my Maxima very hard. Follow users manual and it should be fine.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int...LA_PCO_2011.pdf

Take a look at the recommended VQ30DE viscosity in Brazil.

And?

There are literally millions of VQ30/VQ35 motors that have passed 200k on whatever 5w30 the quick-lube place used. They're not spec'd for 15w40 in America, and they don't need something that thick. They'll happily hum along for many years on 5w30.

The perpetuation of 15w40 and 10w30 for passegner cars in other countries is mostly a cultural thing, if you're wondering.

Originally Posted By: dparm
And?

There are literally millions of VQ30/VQ35 motors that have passed 200k on whatever 5w30 the quick-lube place used. They're not spec'd for 15w40 in America, and they don't need something that thick. They'll happily hum along for many years on 5w30.

And?

There are literally millions of VQ30/VQ35 motors that have passed 200k on whatever 10w-40 the quick-lube place used. They're not spec'd for 5w-30 in Australia, and they don't need something that thin. They'll happily hum along for many years on 10w-40.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
It would work perfectly fine in your location. It's going to be 100*F next week.

Hahaha you're not wrong! Have a bit of a scortcher coming up. A few 40ish deg c days. If you know that then you prob know that it can get a little chilly in winter too.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Frankly, I'd like for OP to post what his owner's manual recommends...

Yeah me too but I don't have it. I'll just google it.
Thanks for the input. I buy the delo in 20l drums and use it in 4 other vehicles hence my quering. Sounds like i'd better look up if there is a manufacturer spec otherwise a xW-30 sounds the way to go.

Someone else posted something about 15w40 being way too thick but they might use 0w40. Why? When they are the same viscosity after a few mins warmup?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dirtydannyd
Someone else posted something about 15w40 being way too thick but they might use 0w40. Why? When they are the same viscosity after a few mins warmup?

I'll post my two cents because you can see I'm out of spec in my G37. In your vehicle or mine, if I had the 15w-40 around and was wanting to get rid of it (and had nothing else in which to use it), I'd use it without worrying. Up here, though, given the climate, I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain it to use it. In your part of the world, it probably specified a number of different viscosities, and probably 5w-30 in North America.

Some, like myself, might use a 0w-40 or a 5w-40 because of better cold climate starting. It was close to -40 last week. 5w-40 worked quite well. 15w-40 might have been a bit of a chore.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dirtydannyd

Generally speaking, yes.

But at startup, when the bulk of engine wear is happening, you are pumping something many times thicker through. It's unnecessary, simple as that.

15W-40 is a lot thicker than 0W-40, 5W-40, and 10W-40, even when hot.

While the SAE KV @ 100 C range is the same for above oils, the SAE HTHSV min for 15W-40 is more (3.7 cP vs. 3.5 cP). (KV = kinematic [low-shear] viscosity, HTHSV = high-temperature, high-shear viscosity.)

In practice, the difference is even more. For example for Mobil 1 0W-40 and Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W-40, they are 3.8 cP and 4.3 cP, respectively. This is a huge difference in HTHSV, as the wear protection and fuel economy (internal oil friction) in a warmed-up engine are solely determined by HTHSV and even a small difference translates into a big difference in wear protection and fuel economy (internal oil friction).

HTHSV refers to high-shear, high-temperature viscosity. Shear means closely sliding parts. Between fast shearing parts, where the oil film is only microns thick, the temperature of the oil suddenly rises to much higher temperatures than the bulk-oil temperature elsewhere. Oil exiting the thinnest section of the oil film suddenly cools down to the bulk-oil temperature. Also, the fast-shearing viscosity (HTHSV) of the oil is smaller than its slow-shearing viscosity (kinematic viscosity [KV]) at the same temperature, as the viscosity-index improvers that increase the viscosity are temporarily sheared during high shear.

All this said, I also looked at the oil recommendations by Nissan for this engine, and they are all over the place depending on the country where the car is sold. The two below seem most standard among miscellaneous countries:

Nissan_maxima_a33_oil_chart_3_.jpg

Nissan_maxima_a33_oil_chart_1.jpg

My recommendation:

Conventional 5W-30: Do not use, as it will shear to 5W-20 or near-5W-20 viscosity (both KV and HTHSV) in less than 1000 kiometers.

Fully synthetic 5W-30: Excellent choice if oil consumption is not high. If oil consumption is high, it won't be an economical choice. This would be my preference for fuel economy and adequate protection.

Conventional 10W-30: Excellent choice, with only slightly worse fuel economy than fully synthetic 5W-30. Also slightly shorter oil-change interval than with fully synthetic 5W-30.

Conventional 10W-40: Good choice but oil pressure will be more (more strain on the oil pump) and oil temperature and bearing and ring temperatures will be higher. Also, fuel economy will be less. Added wear protection in certain driving conditions (high-temperature, high-speed, high-load, or some combination).

Fully synthetic 0W-40: Same as conventional 10W-40 with better cold-engine fuel economy, however much more expensive.

HDEO 5W-40: Avoid as HDEOs contain additives that are neither needed nor entirely suitable for your gasoline engine. However, it will work. Expensive as it's a fully synthetic grade.

HDEO 15W-40: Practically the thickest oil you can get, just about as thick as 20W-50 as far as HTHSV -- the critical viscosity -- is concerned. Avoid it, as the fuel economy would be the least and the engine friction, oil pressure, etc. will be the highest, despite excellent wear protection in the most-demanding driving conditions (as described under 10W-40), with the oil film being the thickest. Same reservations as 5W-40 HDEO apply. However, it will work and it's a good choice from an economical point if your engine is consuming a lot of oil, as the oil consumption with 15W-40 will be the least and it's also a cheap to get oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back