WD-40 Bike lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
lube.jpg

Anyone tried the new line of bike lubes from WD-40? Just got some of their 'dry' chain lube. I thought it was rebranded WhiteLightning but it is not. Totally different look,feel smell and properties. Test ride soon. CLICK HERE

Last edited:
They gave some to us to try out for free.

It seems like a good alternative to the other dedicated chain lubes. The stuff I was using on customer bikes for a while definitely had a perfume like mens cologne though, which was a turn-off.

Originally Posted By: cchase
They gave some to us to try out for free.

It seems like a good alternative to the other dedicated chain lubes. The stuff I was using on customer bikes for a while definitely had a perfume like mens cologne though, which was a turn-off.

THIS !!! The scent is a little overdone. Wiped the shifter cables with it and there was a definite improvement, chain was silent through the ride though.

When we are talking about chain lubrication I share Sheldon remarks. It is rather religious/psihological than any science and fact based.
A friend of mine gives a cynics question.
When you visit our LBS you see a plenty of chain lubes, with different packages, colors and prices. It look like a perfumery shop. It rise the question. Is the shorter lifespan of current chains causes by those bad lubricants?

I’d like to share chain lube. It works fine for my bikes, my ride style, maintenance schedules, weather conditions and may others.
- 65…80 % paraffin
- 20…35% heavy Iso460…1000 moly grease
- Optional - Aditional MOS or graphite powder
Frequency – once per two season
- April – end October. – Warm and dry condition. Use setup with more paraffin
- November…April – Cold and wet. Use setup with more oil
- Race bike takes additional maintenance.
Bikes
- Race – Mostly used at summer when it is dry and weekends. – 1000…1500km /year
- Trekking – Internal gear hub, chain case, Dutch style. – 5000km/year
Again that I what I use. I don’t pretend that this is the best way, nor that it would work for you.
Actually the best way is closed chain case oil lubricated – mileage 100 000….300 000 miles

Originally Posted By: miro
I’d like to share chain lube. It works fine for my bikes, my ride style, maintenance schedules, weather conditions and may others.
- 65…80 % paraffin
- 20…35% heavy Iso460…1000 moly grease
- Optional - Aditional MOS or graphite powder
Frequency – once per two season
- April – end October. – Warm and dry condition. Use setup with more paraffin
- November…April – Cold and wet. Use setup with more oil
- Race bike takes additional maintenance.
Bikes
- Race – Mostly used at summer when it is dry and weekends. – 1000…1500km /year
- Trekking – Internal gear hub, chain case, Dutch style. – 5000km/year
Again that I what I use. I don’t pretend that this is the best way, nor that it would work for you.
Actually the best way is closed chain case oil lubricated – mileage 100 000….300 000 miles

Similar formulation.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/artic...-formula-36424/

Originally Posted By: Rand
looks like its around 10$ for a 4oz bottle of wet or dry.

I'll stick with supporting bike-centric companies. Although a decent move by wd40, trying to capitalize on the increasing number of new riders of whom are only familiar with one "lubricant", which is the brand.

Originally Posted By: cutter
Originally Posted By: Rand
looks like its around 10$ for a 4oz bottle of wet or dry.

I'll stick with supporting bike-centric companies. Although a decent move by wd40, trying to capitalize on the increasing number of new riders of whom are only familiar with one "lubricant", which is the brand.

WD40 is a smaller sponsor of the Grand Fondo NJ

I've just made one mixture for my bicycle chain wax.
2/3 Parafine
1/3 Total Ceran WR2 - calcium sulfonate grease
Mixed at T=100C and tiny 30cc medical injection.

Up until now I used the same mixture but with Li MOS grease. It was working very good but it was messy and difficult to find dirt's from dark wax.

The time will tell how good/ bad is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back