Purolator Classic question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what the dirt holding/trapping capacity is for a Purolator Classic filter?

Their website says the Pureone holds 13g whilst their synthetic filter holds 27g. Presumably, the Classic holds less that both of those.

The synthetic is meant to be run for a maximum of 16,000kms and I would assume the Pureone would be good for half that, or 8,000kms. That being said, should a Classic, with even less capacity, be any good beyond 5-6,000kms?

Ran classic with amsoil xl 0w20 a few years ago.
2.3l ford ranger, if I remember the black stone report, 1.9 tbn left, low to no contaminants, and it went 10k mi...

Last edited:
The Classic should be at least good for the factory-specified OCI.

Supposedly the classic is only slightly less good than the P1 and is a great value. However, I still prefer the P1 for the textured grip.

You could probably get the 8k from the classic though, and 16k is doable on the P1.

Using P1 for 7-8k on Armada. Many P1's cut and so far all have been excellent shape indicating they coulda gone longer.

mannyhs - you seem to have two questions ...

1) what is the holding capacity of the PC? I cannot answer that.

2) can we infer some FCI duration, based upon the holding capacity statements for their other products? I so "no".

Purolator makes recommendations based upon what they know about their filters and some of what they have to "guess" due to not knowing the exact condition of the equipment their customers will put the filters on, nor the maintenance program the customers have in place; they have a legal reason to be ultra conservative.

I have run a PC out to 10k miles, dissected it, and found nothing wrong.

Thanks for the responses everyone - I'm glad to hear others have run it for some lengthy intervals and still had good results.

I currently have MaxLife in the engine and know, from the UOAs on the site, that it is robust enough to run beyond the Hyundai recommended 6,000kms OCI. I just wanted to make sure the filter was also up to the task.

As dnewton3 said, it's most likely for reasons of legality/liability that they are conservative with their numbers.

The PureOne isn't readily available where I am in Canada and the synthetic filter seemed excessive since I wasn't planning on running the oil for the length of time the filter is designed for.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
The Classic should be at least good for the factory-specified OCI.

Supposedly the classic is only slightly less good than the P1 and is a great value. However, I still prefer the P1 for the textured grip.

You could probably get the 8k from the classic though, and 16k is doable on the P1.

You know, I've debated between the two and with AAP codes usually it's a no brainier to just go P1. Peace of mind for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back