Buying a vehicle with a salvage title

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Looking for input on important questions to ask when buying a vehicle with a salvage title.

In this instance, I am going to look at a 1999 GMC Sierra tomorrow. Truck is very low miles (113K), and is as clean as any vehicle I've seen in MN, given the year.

What I know thus far is that it was involved in an accident in 2005, and repaired. Apparently front left damage, no frame damage was involved.

Since the accident was 9 years ago, I can probably safely assume that the repair was done correctly?

What should I be asking, when talking to the owner? I know it is his DD, and he is selling to fund a 3/4 ton plow truck.

Thanks.

PS - LIM gasket was done, and all fluids (front to back), were flushed/drained in past year.

Find out how long it was in his name.

I'd worry about rust before body damage on a body-on-frame vehicle like this.

An accident in 2005 on a vehicle that's been driven ever since is nothing to worry about.
A '99 Chevy truck (which a GMC is) should be priced low enough that the damage history is of no consequence anyway.
I'd be more concerned about the claimed miles, which seem low for a vehicle of this age.

With a salvage title it's more about the paperwork than it is about whether you have a safe car. The registry can make you life [censored] getting a new salvage title in your name on a salvage titled vehicle.

Bahhh on a vehicle that old a salvage title really makes no difference but generally price is cut approx 1/3 for a newer vehicle...

I bought a salvage title Mercury Marauder and had no problem registering it... Kept it a little over two years and sold it for more than I paid...

The titling won't be an issue in MN. I am sure it was re-titled in 2005 as 'salvage'.

I am looking at $4700, right now. KBB for fair is $7136.00. They don't provide a 'poor' price, which is what a salvage title would be considered.

I guess I am looking at it as a truck that should easily have 100k left in it, for a $4700.00 investment...

00M0M_lTgSUkhEkAX_600x450.jpg

I wouldn't be too worried about the salvage title on an older vehicle as long as it runs and drives well. Just inspect the truck like any other used vehicle. Check the undercarriage, especially frame and brake lines. Make sure it tracks straight. Inspect the tires for alignment issues. The truck looks clean and the price looks good.

Last edited:
As long as the truck is in good condition a salvage title doesn't really matter at this point.

It would matter more if it were say a 2010 with a lot of book value still.

Originally Posted By: mjk
The titling won't be an issue in MN. I am sure it was re-titled in 2005 as 'salvage'.

I am looking at $4700, right now. KBB for fair is $7136.00. They don't provide a 'poor' price, which is what a salvage title would be considered.

I guess I am looking at it as a truck that should easily have 100k left in it, for a $4700.00 investment...

$4700 seems kind of high to me. $3500 to $3900 would be a more realistic price for a truck like you describe. Trade-in value on a truck like this is going to be roughly $2000 to $2500.

Originally Posted By: mjk

What I know thus far is that it was involved in an accident in 2005, and repaired. Apparently front left damage, no frame damage was involved.

If the truck was "totaled" at 6 years old, it is a safe bet that the frame WAS bent. But, frames can be straightened (and are all the time, that is what frame machines are for). Having been used for 9 years after the accident is an indication that the repairs were likely done properly by someone that knew what they were doing.

Simple solution...take it to an experienced alignment shop that has the latest Hunter alignment rack and spend $69 having them do a complete 4 wheel alignment. Request the senior tech look at it and make sure it is lined up and not a "sidewinder". But don't forget "salvage" reduces the value at least 40%.

Last edited:
Never trust what a motivated seller tells you, do what Doog says and get it aligned to make sure there's no damage. It'll eat tires like t-rex if it won't stay aligned. I'd also get a trusted mechanic to check out engine. Does carfax report show it being registered yearly? Never know, may have sat somewhere for yrs with that low of mileage (repo, 05 wreck, etc.)

The big variables in this are:

1) How bad was the damage?
2) Who did the repairs?

Those are the unknowns.

But the fact that it is still on the road today is a good sign.

Look at the gaps between the body panels, make sure the doors open and close good. Listen for rattles in the cab when driving it, watch for any bubbles in the paint, which might suggest rust forming under the surface of the paint, or forming underneath filler.

I'd trust a vehicle with a rebuilt title that is on a true frame (such as a pickup) more than I would a unibody vehicle.

My 2004 Silverado was very close to being totaled in 2009 (it took about $10,000 in damage), but I am still driving it today. It took a hard hit, and the frame was still well within factory specs. I took pictures of it while it was damaged, and all throughout the repair process, so that the next owner will be able to see and judge for himself.

The 1992 Cavalier RS that is my daily driver was totaled in 2006 with 76,600 miles on it and now has a prior salvage title. I've put about 116,000 miles on it since then. It was hit hard on the passenger side front corner and basically sheared off the front bumper, lights, grill, bent both fenders and hood, bent the radiator support and bent the uni-body.

I bought it wrecked and had the uni-body and radiator support straightened. I installed a junkyard front clip on it myself. The hood to cowl panels don't align perfectly but that doesn't affect how it drives. It has no alignment issues and has been a great car for the past 7 1/2 years.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one like mine, You just have to look them over carefully.

Wayne

Gawd, we had Cavaliers and Sunbirds in our fleet when my kids lived at home. Not the nicest cars but rugged and cheap to fix when they broke. Great transportation IMO.

I have purchased many salvage titled cars as we have a body shop in the family and if done properly there is little to complain about.

I have seen brand new cars that had severe issues with alignment and mounting points, etc. just like you might think would be a problem with a salvage title...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back