How good is Eneos Oil? Worth the cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On paper and in UOAs/VOAs, it doesn't really impress me over the other off-the-shelf synthetics. It also doesn't go on sale and isn't widely available.

The Eneos is moderately interesting, but still not worth it at the prices they charge here in the US.

It depends on the grade. They are generally shear stable oils particularly the top of the line Sustina oils.
I like their Sustina 0W-20 but don't know if it's worth the premium price over TGMO or MGMO 0W-20.
Their 0W-50 is really a 0W-40 and I don't think it's worthe the premium price over M1 0W-40.
The Sustina 5W-30 is impressive but is it worth the price? I suppose it depends on what you're using it in. Check out the following UOA:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...bar#Post3197991

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
It depends on the grade. They are generally shear stable oils particularly the top of the line Sustina oils.

Have they changed formulation too since 2010?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The High VI 0W-20's from Toyota, Honda and ENEOS shear by design close to 10% shortly after put into service. The HTHS vis drops from 2.6cP to 2.35-2.40cP but then stabilizes.

In what grade?
How long do you plan on running it?
Eneos Sustina 0W-20 seems worth the bucks it would cost if you'd run it long enough.
If you plan on 5K drains, go to Walmart and pick up a jug of PP, QSUD or Synpower 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: Mach1Owner
0w-20 or 5w-30 for 7500 changes

Give it a shot. Both are decent oils. Maybe order a few cases so the shipping isn't astronomical. Some brick and mortar stores are carrying it now, supposedly.

0W-20 is spec'd for your car so that's the grade to use with a mineral 5W-30 mentioned as an alternative, presumably if a 0W-20 isn't available.
Nissan does have there own brand of 0W-20 and we know nothing about it or who makes it for them. I don't know what it costs but if I owned a Nissan for which the 0W-20 grade was spec'd I'd be very curious to know at least something about it. Is it a high VI oil like Toyota and Mazda, what are the AW additive levels like, that sort of thing.

If you owned a Nissan or Infiniti in Canada, CATERHAM, all you'd have to know is that Mobil products (Mobil Super series and Mobil 1 series) are the service fill, aside from the ester nonsense.
smile.gif

The dealers themselves are known for constantly for putting 5w-30 in the i4 instead of 0w-20.

I think theirs is made by Valvoline. I have heard this a few times.

The dealers themselves are known for constantly for putting 5w-30 in the i4 instead of 0w-20.

I think theirs is made by Valvoline. I have heard this a few times.

I mean Pennsoil makes it. Thats why if you got a oil change at a Nissan dealership you can get a Pennz rebate. It seems that Nissan holds a patent on "Nissan Ester Oil" so at least some of their cars get Group V oil. Probably specifically made by Pennzoil for them.

Last edited:
It seems that Nissan holds a patent on "Nissan Ester Oil" so at least some of their cars get Group V oil. Probably specifically made by Pennzoil for them.

Except that it's really not an ester based oil.
wink.gif

The chances of them making a special ester oil to a Nissan design/recipe is about the same as...well let's say...and additive company giving Mobil their secret proprietary additive to make an oil for Toyota...or companies throwing away GTL basestocks...

Well unless Nissan just makes their own, and some how that lets them honor Pennzoil discount coupons, I don't see what other alternatives there is.

I think it was Sherlock Holmes that suggested that the simplest answer is the most likely (with another caveat for once the simple answers were used up)...

maybe it's got the rebate because it's just Pennzoil...no magic brew/additives, just plain old pennzoil

How do you know what their custom oil is made out of?

There are links, papers on the net, and discussions all over the site. You can do the looking yourself, but suffice it to say that it may not even be more than a synthetic blend. The ester is an additive in the oil and not the base stock at all.

Find me a Group V ILSAC rated oil. We've been through this here before, and not just once.
wink.gif

How do you know what their custom oil is made out of?

It's hard to tell the difference between PAO and Group III oils in UOA, but ester oils are easy to spot. The Nissan oil is not substantially ester based. Compare some UOA results on the Nissan oil to Redline or Motul 300V, you'll be able to tell too.

The short answer is Eneos is not worth it. No boutique or import oils are. When you can buy Mobil 1 for $5/qt and Pennzoil Ultra for $5.75/qt at Walmart, nothing costing $9+/qt is worth it unless your car requires some uncommon OEM spec oil like say, VW 504/507.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
The chances of them making a special ester oil to a Nissan design/recipe is about the same as...well let's say...and additive company giving Mobil their secret proprietary additive to make an oil for Toyota...or companies throwing away GTL basestocks...

^^^Quite true, but then you have Motul which makes a Nismo specific 0W-30 300V.
I have been told by Motul USA that this can ONLY be purchased from Nissan/Nismo dealers.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back