2014 Mazda 3 Clutch Noise. Throw out bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm uncertain what this noise is. My car only has 6k miles. The noise comes and goes. I'm not overly worried because I have a warranty and it's not noticeable when the music is on.

Thoughts? I sprayed some lithium grease in the pedal area. The noise went away and then came back. I think it's something deeper than the grease can reach.

Hard to diagnose on the internet!

Usually a throwout bearing will make some sort of cyclic noise somewhere in the pedal travel.

Sorry that probably isn't much help. The dealer may help if it gets bad enough that they can diagnose it...

Sounds like your spring in pedal or mechanism.

When ours went into failure(very common) on our 2005 Legacy GT it chirped loudly. It was not a big deal. $40 part and about $360(6hrs) of labor.

Agree that it sounds like the peddle mechanism. Try WD40 and it all the moving parts you can get to. On clutch cars I've had, they always had this or some kind of noise and I just got use to it. Ed

Originally Posted By: rjundi

When ours went into failure(very common) on our 2005 Legacy GT it chirped loudly. It was not a big deal. $40 part and about $360(6hrs) of labor.

Wow $60/hr for labor is awesome, last I looked my guy was getting $95/hr and the dealers were about $120/hr give or take $5.

OP- It sounds like the pedal and associated swivel points, definitely not the TOB. Let the dealer lube it for you.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Wow $60/hr for labor is awesome, last I looked my guy was getting $95/hr and the dealers were about $120/hr give or take $5.

OP- It sounds like the pedal and associated swivel points, definitely not the TOB. Let the dealer lube it for you.

Yes why I own and keep an older Subaru. A 25 year master tech on Subaru only retired from dealer. Beyond honest and just a nice guy. Ladies love him. Parts for him are normal retail but a guy has to eat. Yes your rates around here the same for the rest.

He makes money though. He charges book rates but knows all sorts of short cuts. For example a timing belt/water pump replacement is 3hrs book labor. He called me 1.5 latter after car dropped off!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Yes why I own and keep an older Subaru. A 25 year master tech on Subaru only retired from dealer. Beyond honest and just a nice guy. Ladies love him. Parts for him are normal retail but a guy has to eat. Yes your rates around here the same for the rest.

He makes money though. He charges book rates but knows all sorts of short cuts. For example a timing belt/water pump replacement is 3hrs book labor. He called me 1.5 latter after car dropped off!

That's great. These guys charge book rate if they can match or beat it. If they fall behind they charge their labor rate for the actual time it took them. Either way they win.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Sounds like the engine is off in the video. If that's the case, it's not the throwout bearing.

Yes the engine was off. It occurs at stop lights/signs and when the car is shut off. Not all the time. It's sporadic. I'll take it into Mazda on Monday for a diagnosis/repair

Originally Posted By: brandini
Dealer, it's a NEW NEW NEW car! They'll roll out the red carpet because that model is Mazda's new golden child!

It is Mazda's Golden child. the 3 outsells the 6 and CX-5 easily. The previous outgoing model didn't have many problems because it was being produced for several years. The 2014 3 is all new redesign.

Also my previous mazda clutch squeak was fixed by greasing the tip of the slave cylinder where it pushes the clutch fork.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back