purolator pure one vs "normal" filter

i was using the pure one filter (pl 14460) and was noticing quite a bit of noise at start up. plus my uoa has been not so good.

i bought pennzoil and the regular purolator filter (l 14460) for the auto-rx, and the noise has been greatly reduced.

i'm wondering if the pl filter is so much more restrictive than the regular model that i'm hosing myself at startup.

any opinions? facts?

Personally, I'm not very fond of the purolator ADBV. I'll post a new topic from the 6 oil filters that I cut open, two of which were purolators.

I'm assuming that your oil filter is mounted inverted on your vehicle. If not the ADBV isn't an issue with your noisy starts. If your mounting position is upright I'd be surprised if one filter over another offered enough of a restriction to flow to cause oil starvation at start up. You could try a Wix filter as they have a silicone ADBV which may seal better in an inverted mounting position.

I put a PureONE on our '03 Hyundai Santa Fe. I only kept it on for one day. There was so much noise at start up, and it lasted for about 7 seconds. We don't have an oil pressure gauge, but the oil light went off in the "normal" amount of time, but the noise continued? I pulled it off, and put on a regular Purolator, and the noise was gone! This car only has about 6,000 miles on it, and has never made this sound before, and not since.

I have now went back to Hyundai OEM filters. They are very well made and don't cost any more than the Wix.

Also, I was using regular Purolators on my '96 Saturn...until last week, I noticed oil under my car (which doesn't leak). After crawling underneath it, the Purolator was leaking at the rolled seam! I replaced the filter, and the leak is gone.

I'm done with Purolator!

Brian

the bypass valve in all filters OR in the block will insure that no matter how restrictive the media is, you will get oil flow. if the filter is totally clogged, it will still flow oil, so the purolator might have restrictive media, but it is of no concern.

quote:

the bypass valve in all filters OR in the block will insure that no matter how restrictive the media is, you will get oil flow. if the filter is totally clogged, it will still flow oil, so the purolator might have restrictive media, but it is of no concern.

Then my PureONE must have had a bad bypass valve. All the more reason that I'm done with Purolator.

I'm now sorry that I didn't keep the filter to cut it open. I was so mad about the engine noise that I threw it out!

Brian

Remember the bypass valve (wherever it is located) only comes into play whenever the required pressure drop occurs. The filter can cause pressure drop up to that limit before the valve opens..some filters cause very little drop at all, some others cause more pressure drop but still less than the valve requires to open. Those higher pressure drop (more restrictive) filters can still reduce flow just because of the higher pressure reduction...especially at startup with cooler/thicker oil and lower rpm/oil flowrate. The bypass valve in other words is a last ditch device,,,you want it to come into play as little as possible

Well...if it was me and I owned that car and wanted to use a Pure1 I'd see if the PL24458 fits.

With the specs so different between the recommended Wix and Pure1, I'm not surprised at the difference in behavior. I believe the Pure1 is a good filter but needs to be oversized to compensate for it's restrictive flow due to it's fine filtering performance.

Seeing where you live, you might want to go for flow in the winter and use something like an oversized Pure1 for summer.

Anyway, I'd try something like the PL24458 if it fits before you condemn all Pure1 filters.

Good luck.

Or the 14459 if available which is the same(?) as the 14460 except it has an ADBV and lower bypass.

I've had several stock sized pureone's cause cold start rattle. I just about hated that filter. But, when I tried the oversized, I did not have any issues. Maybe the filters I bought were defective, maybe my oil pump didn't like the oil filter's resistance. The oversized seem to work great and at ~$6, are cheaper than the Mobil1/KN/boutique filters out there.

I'm still a big fan of purolators noname proline filters that can be had at pepboys for
Just substitute the puro PN's in this link for info on any Purolator filter:

http://ecat.arvinmeritor.com/smartlink/?partnum=L14460

[ March 07, 2004, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: unDummy ]

Don't have intitmate knowledge of Subarus, but Wix calls for a 51334 for that engine. (Not just cross-reference, but their catalog actually stipulates 51334.) This is an 8-11 psi bypass filter WITH anti-drainback. Echoing 427Z06's comments, the simple lack of an ADBV in your PureOne might have contributed partly or entirely to your start-up noise. I'm not sure if any supposed increased restriction in the PureOne would necessarily have contributed to valvetrain noise since, if this was the case, the bypass valve should have quickly opened, theoretically passing enough oil to lube the engine under any circumstance. (At least that's the theory, but that's the basic philosophy of bypass valve design -- I don't see any reason to doubt it.)

Start-up noise is usually, although not entirely, caused by a poor-performing ADBV (or in your case, a lack of one). For what it's worth, for months now I've been successfully using a PureOne 24458 on a Mitsu-Mopar 3.0, although this engine isn't very sensitive to ADBV performance. I'm perfectly happy with the PL24458, and it has an internal cartridge which is about 50% longer than the same-diameter L/PL14459 (50% more media area).

domo arigato!

you guys are the best! i will begin the hunt for the wix filter.

i saw the little black thingy at the bottom of the filter and figured it was the adbv.

bowdown.gif

Here's something interesting, if you look up the Pure1 specs for the PL14460 you get:

Height: 2.95
Anti-Drain Back Valve: No
O.D.: 3.15
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 20-25
Type of Filter: Spin-on
Threads: M20x1.5

If you go to the WIX site and cross reference this filter you get:

Part Number: 51334
Type: Full Flow
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Hmmm...totally different by-pass pressures and no ADBV on the Pure1. What are you putting this filter on?

2002 subaru impreza 2.5rs. i'm hoping that my issue something stupid like the filter. after the auto-rx i'm going to run an interval of pennzoil and do another uoa.

if that still bites i will switch brands of filters as well. something high-flow.

no more pure-one from here on out though; i'll just stick to the base model.

Tweeker: If you're gonna look for a Wix (and Wix does make first-rate filters), you might do better to find a Napa Gold or a Carquest Premium Blue. They're both repackaged Wix's, and all three are identical. The Napa and Carquest filters might simply be easier to find.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
Didn't the first post on this topic say that he used auto rx and "the noise has been greatly reduced."?????? Maybe the noise was from the engine itself and got cleaned up by the RX?

the auto-rx went in the engine a couple hundred miles after the oil / filter change, and the change in noise was immediate. just don't know if it's the oil or the filter or my overactive imagination.

thanks tc, i'll check out those filters as well. we have a napa here in town.

cheers.gif

Didn't the first post on this topic say that he used auto rx and "the noise has been greatly reduced."?????? Maybe the noise was from the engine itself and got cleaned up by the RX?

I have a 2001 Subaru 2.5RS. I have used the PL14460 and also had more engine noise on startup.
I switched back to the L14460 and the noise went away. I attributed the increased noise to the more restrictive filtering media. There doesn't seem to be a difference in the time it takes my oil to get dark with either the PureOne or the regular Purolator. The oil filter on our cars hangs straight down off the bottom of the engine so there is no need for an anti-drainback valve. Purolator is one of the few filter makers that has a seperate filter for our cars. Subaru OEM (US) filters are made by Purolator. Most stores cross-reference the 2.5l Subaru engine with a Fram PH3593/ Super Tech 3593 and the like. The P/L14459 is a cross reference for the Fram PH3593 which is used on many Hondas and my previous car (Isuzu I-Mark RS).It does have an ADBV. I would love to use a ST3593 but am not sure about using a filter with an ADBV on a car that doesn't need one.
Hope this helps.
If you want to learn a lot about your car go to
NASIOC (North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club)
..........................Doug

[ March 11, 2004, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: omaha2.5rs ]

There is always going to be a pressure drop across any restriction...even low flow rates will have a drop across a filter. More restriction or thicker oil, either one will cause a higher drop.

Back