From the horses mouth, re: AC Delco filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, some background:

I saw some poorly made filters at Advance Auto that were in AC Delco boxes. They were a darker color blue, and they were suspiciously missing the GM 8-digit part number. They were also made in Mexico. I e-mailed AC Delco's counterfeit investigations department, and they FINALLY replied (3 weeks later).

I have attached thier response below. OF particular interest is the confirmation that, In fact, they DO have two sources for filters: Delphi and Champion labs. We knew this all along, but it is good to hear it straight from AC Delco.

Anyways, here is what they said:

quote:

Good morning John sorry to be getting back to you so late. We first must
clarify what you are describing. Each PF52 should come in an individual box
with the PF52 numbers on three sides of the bottom half of the box. Under
the PF52 numbers should be an eight digit part number, that number is
25171377. The PF52 filter is made in the USA either by Champ Labs or
Delphi.

My contact in Detroit tells me that it is possible to find PF52 oil
filters made in Mexico that are legitimate, but that would be considered
very old product. Normally the oil filters in a retail outlet would be
placed individually on the shelf in their respective packaging, not in a
large box or placed on the shelf not in an individual package. Also the
made in Mexico filters would not have the Duraguard lettering on the box.

Would you accept a genuine PF52 oil filter for one of the alleged
counterfeit filters you saw, if you bought and shipped it to me? You can
call me if you like at 810-835-8013, Monday morning would be fine.

I plan to go get one this weekend!
smile.gif

The ones I saw were definitely bogus.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:

Would you accept a genuine PF52 oil filter for one of the alleged counterfeit filters you saw, if you bought and shipped it to me? You can
call me if you like at 810-835-8013, Monday morning would be fine.

[/QUOTE]

You're supposed to pay for a filter AND shipping in return for a filter?
Tell him to make it worth your while!

I could not find any of the suspected counterfeit PF52s, but I did find a counterfeit (I think) PF454. I sent some pics of the box and the outside of the filter. I can post if anyone is interested.

Here you go... this filter is UGLY, and does not appear to be a "real" AC Delco

1. Note the lack of the word "Duraguard" and the missing 8-digit GM number:

box

2. Note the printed label (every other AC filter I've seen has a sticker) and darker color blue:

filter

3. Inner tube is just a flat piece of perforated metal rolled into a tube, overlapped, and spot welded together:

tube

4. High Quality glue job:

glue

Sorry the pics aren't better... this is the best my cheap camera could do.

[ March 12, 2004, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: novadude ]

My local Advance autoparts also has ACDelco's like this. I was looking for a filter to use on a Blazer (PF47) and they had a entire shelf full of the very cheap looking Mexican made product. It also didn't have the GM part number or duragard trademark.

So are you saying that this is just old product?

I chose to pass on the ACDelco and bought a Supertech instead.

[ March 14, 2004, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

Personally, I think they are counterfeit.

The AC Delco rep has not responded to the pictures yet.

I know I will NEVER install one of these on my cars! In fact, if it turns out these are NOT counterfeit, then I am done with AC Delco... not sure I trust a company that would distribute crap like this.

It's hard to see from the pictures I guess. What makes these filters so bad?
dunno.gif
Have you cut them apart? It's very hard to see the quality of a filter without actually looking at the insides. I'd suggest you do this before bashing this filter so bad. I'm not saying it's neccasarily a good filter, but just because it's made in Mexico and it doesn't look the same as another fitler doesn't make it the awful filter your making it out to be.

I eagerly await more pics and the response from AC.

-T

I HAVE GOT TO THINK THAT A LARGE OUTFIT LIKE PARTS [AMERICA[ADVANCE AUTO PARTS] WOULD NOT BE BEHIND ANYTHING LIKE SELLING COUNTERFIT AC-GM PARTS! I mean do you know the legal power of GM? What? to make an extra buck a filter? Give me a break!
If it turns out that these filters pictured are counterfit[I don't think they are and will explain] it is most likely an INSIDE JOB[STORE EMPLOYEE] of some type, again I hardly think so!

My fellow Americans listen up! This is the future direction of massed produced pruducts... produced for the masses. Quality is just a word and costs are all that matters! The quality that we have been use to [i.e. Made in America] is being reeplaced by such REPLICAS as you see in these filters. I tell friends and relatives if they have anything MADE IN USA, to keep if for it will soon be a collectors' item!

Sorry the picture quality is so poor.

The two BIG things I do not like:

1. The inner tube is a flat piece of perforated sheet, rolled into a tube, overlapped, and held together by a few spot welds. That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling, particularly when I've seen better in other filters.

2. The huge amount of glue in the bottom of the filter hints at poor quality / assembly practice.

I'll see what kind of response I get from GM and let you guys know. Trust me, if you'd look at this filter next to a champion or delphi filter, you would KNOW that it is not made by either manufacturer (compared to the construction of thier other filters).

Bought a PF 52 tonight at Advance Auto, turns out it's a Mexico filter. Not very happy about this deal. Also box says it fits the 97-99 Corvette. Thats incorrect. (97-06's Corvettes used the PF 44 ... new part number PF 46. What's up with these Mexican junk filters ???

I bought a PF52 from Advance in November for my fall oil change on my riding mower. It too was the made in Mexico type. I can back these guys up, there is a tremendous quality difference between the "genuine" and the Mexican filter. It was so significant that I almost put the old filter back on! I just decided to use the Mexico filter and I'll do another oil change before the spring season starts up. I'll go with a real PF52 if I can find it, if not, it'll be Wix from here on out - sorry AC Delco, but you've got to do better than that!

It's junk. It's smaller, lighter, thin gasket, and I bet if I cut it open I'd really be sick. Returned them today and went down the street to PEP Boys and bought the Detroit, Mi USA made Delco Oil Filters. ****, Looks like in the next few years all we'll have is Mexican junk filters. I'm sick ! >George

I bet the company in Mexico that made them is still making them and they are being bought up. Either that or they found a stash of them left over and thats what you are getting.

If bet that store is not a AC Delco Retailer which would mean their filters don't come from AC Delco jobbers.

My friend is a AC Delco Retailer and Service Center (former GM dealer parts mgr) checked into this with AC Delco a while back (1-2 yrs ago) when some of these were being sold at Walmart locally. They told him those filters were never supposed to be imported into the USA, they were destined for SA markets but some big chain store in the SW bought a ton of them and was selling them. Must be your favorite store, I cannot recall the name he told me. He said every once in a while someone would come in and complain to him about an oil filter they bought from Walmart and expected him to go good on it. LOL

[ January 11, 2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Hmm, got me to thinking. ABout a year ago, I bought a case (12) of the Chevy 1218 long delco's off eBay. Took a look just now and they all have a stick-on sticker with "ACDELCO" and "Duraguard" along with the GM part number and bar code. Tube is ribbed and perforated and lap/crimp jointed. Looks like a good batch. I've seen some on eBay with no bar code and no part number. Makes me suspecious!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back