Great idea to discourage texting while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traffic safety experts say texting or cell phoning while driving is as dangerous as drunk driving-so apply the same penalties for these activities as for drunk driving.

Originally Posted By: willbur
Traffic safety experts say texting or cell phoning while driving is as dangerous as drunk driving-so apply the same penalties for these activities as for drunk driving.

I agree with you brother.

In some ways its worse, a drunk is usually watching the road but has terrible reaction times and judgment. Someone texting has repetitive loss of visual contact with the road.

I just don't understand it. I see people walking across streets in front of cars, in parking lots at night etc. I hate phones anyway so i just dont understand why you cannot wait until you are stopped or before you drive. You are just not that important that everyone else has to accommodate your lack of attention.
I think if a pedestrian is hit, and its proven they were texting at the moment, the driver should not be charged. If an accident is caused and the driver is proven to be texting. A night in jail.

Last edited:
This is completely idiotic. It's like Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" movie where he deliberately and moronically exercises absolutely no personal restraint at all, no consideration of logic or of the circumstances.

Consider these two circumstances:
1) You're driving on an Interstate-type highway. Long, wide, straight, empty, many miles between exits. A text comes in on your phone.
2) You're driving on a busy city street with intersections, parked cars, pedestrians, traffic lights, and maybe other obstacles. A text comes in on your phone.

Are you going to pull a Morgan Spurlock and mindlessly look at and answer the text in both circumstances? Or would you answer in one circumstance but not in the other?

There's a reason why studies have a hard time determining whether or not hand-held/texting bans actually have any effect at all besides pacifying disaffected activists.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
This is completely idiotic. It's like Morgan Spurlock's "Supersize Me" movie where he deliberately and moronically exercises absolutely no personal restraint at all, no consideration of logic or of the circumstances.

1) You're driving on an Interstate-type highway. Long, wide, straight, empty, many miles between exits. A text comes in on your phone.
2) You're driving on a busy city street with intersections, parked cars, pedestrians, traffic lights, and maybe other obstacles. A text comes in on your phone.

Are you going to pull a Morgan Spurlock and mindlessly look at and answer the text in both circumstances? Or would you answer in one circumstance but not in the other?

There's a reason why studies have a hard time determining whether or not hand-held/texting bans actually have any effect at all besides pacifying disaffected activists.

I would not look at it in either instance. People are under the impression they HAVE to respond instantly. If it was and urgent situation or my job depended on it, i'd pull over to the side of the road. I will say i don't text at all. I refuse to start with the absurdity. My family knows to simply call me. Any text sent will not be read. I did'nt grow with with a cell phone at all, I think i can make it a few miles with out having to respond. I have sent 2 text messages in my life, one each year to my son on his birthday, thats the only ones i'll be sending.

Last edited:
In Illinois, it is now a $120 ticket, and it counts against ones driving record as a moving violation, just like speeding or running a stop sign.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
What about the phones that read texts to you over the car's speakers and let you respond via voice?

if it keeps your eyes on the road, i don't have a problem with it. I would not use it myself.

I believe the latest info states that texting and driving is now more dangerous than drunk driving...knowing this, I find it hard to believe that it isn't outlawed, AND ENFORCED nationwide...

Originally Posted By: Tegger

Why is it necessary to read/respond to either while driving? And bans on anything will have little to no effect if they aren't enforced...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
In Illinois, it is now a $120 ticket, and it counts against ones driving record as a moving violation, just like speeding or running a stop sign.

I'm in IL most of the time due to my job and I can tell you that none of the laws against any type of cell phone use are enforced there...I even see cops talking on hand held cell phones while driving which is illegal...

Until the first of the year it was all local laws. Now it is hands free state wide in IL.

Judging by the number of people I know who have been involved in accidents where one of the drivers was texting, I wouldn't mind at all if we went back to manual transmission cars with loose steering and stiff suspension.

I don't think I could text in my Jeep even if I wanted to.

What about the phones that read texts to you over the car's speakers and let you respond via voice?

That's what a lot of commercial trucks have so you can get your dispatches/messages via the Qualcomm.

I wish I could have gotten a better video. In traffic moving about 10MPH I watched the Progressive claims rep(SUV with bright markings) in my mirror working on his laptop. Illegal.....

I love a Russian dashcam video where I guy got his car hit by a person appeared to be texting. Victim got out of car reached in car and smashed the person phone into pieces....

Would someone please explain to me the content of a text that would be worth the risk? Haven't seen one yet. I suppose if you're an ER Dr., or something along those lines, but....

Originally Posted By: spasm3

if it keeps your eyes on the road, i don't have a problem with it. I would not use it myself.

Eyes on the road, and hands on the steering wheel/shifter. It does require some concentration, however. While that feature will keep the fuzz from giving a texting ticket since the phone can be stashed in a backpack and is hands-free, it won't keep the prosecutor from alleging distracted driving if one gets in an accident while texting via voice command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back