Australian Ford Ranger 3.2l 5cyl - 11.3k km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Had a UOA done on my 2013 5cyl TDCi Ford Ranger, factory fill I believe is Motorcraft Formula Ford "F" 5W-30, meeting WSS-M2C913-C which is a requirement for this engine. Motor is a 5 cylinder 3.2l turbo diesel with 147kW & 470Nm.

This sample was taken prior to the first oil change as per my dealers recommendations, hence why it has 11.3k km's on factory fill. First service is at 15k kms, so I want to make sure it was holding up prior to that service.

OIL Motorcraft Formula Ford "F" 5W-30
KM's IN USE 11.3k
KM's 11.3k
SAMPLE TAKEN 15/11/13

COMMENTS:

- Copper content is high and could indicate thrust washer/bearing wear.

- Silicon is elevated but is possibly due to the sealant used in assembly. Check at next service.

- A normalisation factor of 0.981 has been applied to the wear metals during final analysis.

- Other results are satisfactory.

- Wear may be due to equipment run-in. Resample in 250 hours to establish a compartment trend.

Code:
ALUMINUM 11

CHROMIUM 1.9

IRON 58

COPPER 58

LEAD 0

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 100

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 22

SILVER 2

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 6

BORON 93

SILICON 7

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 2780

MAGNESIUM 22

PHOSPHORUS 662

ZINC 882

BARIUM 1

SULPHUR 2750

VANADIUM 0

CHROMIUM 1.9

CADMIUM 0.1

WATER 0.121

OXIDATION 12.4

NITRATION 7.56

FUEL DILUTION 0.8

TBN 8.76

I'd be interested to see everyones thoughts. Severe service interval for this vehicle is 7.5k kms but I rarely tow anything, however my wife drives the vehicle daily to work which is approximately 30kms each way.

Last edited:
Everything looks good for a new engine/factory fill. Nice add pack, too. Your wear metals should look much better next time as it wears in.

I'm so jealous of you with that diesel ranger! I'd love to have that option here. I hope it does well for you!

Hey TB48, How do you find that engine?
It will be going into the 2015 Ford Transit for North America and possibly the F150. I will be buying 100s of Transits for my fleet so very curious on your experience.
How much oil does it take?

Originally Posted By: Danno
It will be going into the 2015 Ford Transit for North America and possibly the F150. I will be buying 100s of Transits for my fleet so very curious on your experience.

Hi Danno,

The engine itself is great, it has plenty of power and when coupled with the 6spd auto we have here, has really long legs on the open road. It has some low-rev turbo lag but it can be rectified with chips and/or throttle boosters that are on the market. Fuel economy is steady at 9.5l/100km (24M/gl) around town, and I've had it as low as 7.2l/100km (32M/gl) on the open road.

It takes approximately 10l of oil (9.7l I think)

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
Everything looks good for a new engine/factory fill. Nice add pack, too. Your wear metals should look much better next time as it wears in.

I'm so jealous of you with that diesel ranger! I'd love to have that option here. I hope it does well for you!

Cheers, I was actually pretty impressed with how well its stood up, I'm reasonably confident that it will easily last 15k kms. If I do any heavy, regular towing or take it off road then I will drop intervals to 7.5k kms, but so far so good.

I actually cant believe that you guys dont get this motor in a pickup up there!

Originally Posted By: dustyroads

+1. In a ranger too. Awesome.

Originally Posted By: TeeBee48

I actually cant believe that you guys dont get this motor in a pickup up there!

Up to now, there has been no need. The mid-size pickup market has died and full-size pickups own the market. With gasoline cheaper than diesel and at $3.50 per gallon, the small diesel would have just died if launched.

However Ram (Dodge) just launched a 3.0L V-6 diesel in their Ram. I expect Ford to put your engine in the F150 to reply to Dodge as fuel economy measures tighten up.
Ram has a signifcant price premium on the small diesel of about $4.0K as well.

Decently equipped, these trucks can be on the road for $40.0K

Links to Ram diesel road test and full size comparo.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-v-6-first-drive-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/dodge-ram-vs-ford-f-150-and-chevy-silverado-comparison-test

I guess that's fair enough, some full size US pickups down here require you to hold a Light Rigid truck licence (in my state anyway), so there's not really that much demand because not everyone can drive them. Additionally, a RHD Silverado will set you back about AUD$120k down here so only really heavy towers are running them at the moment.

We have 3.0l V6 diesel in our version of the Nissan Frontier, which is currently the class leader in mid-size pickup engines. 170kW and 550Nm of torque. The Dodge looks like a decent truck though!

The Dodge is a fine looking truck. The Hemi 5.7L V8 is an awesome engine.
The Canadian dollar and AUD are similar in value. $120K for a pickup is skyhigh compared to Canada where a decent one is about $40K.

Originally Posted By: TeeBee48
Originally Posted By: Danno

Hi Danno,

The engine itself is great, it has plenty of power and when coupled with the 6spd auto we have here, has really long legs on the open road. It has some low-rev turbo lag but it can be rectified with chips and/or throttle boosters that are on the market. Fuel economy is steady at 9.5l/100km (24M/gl) around town, and I've had it as low as 7.2l/100km (32M/gl) on the open road.

It takes approximately 10l of oil (9.7l I think)

I too am very jealous.
shocked2.gif

*on a side not, didn't Nissan have something with Dodge for a Diesel engine?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back