PQIA tests ten 5W-20s - one gets an Advisory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alot of the 5w20's are right there at 14-15%

the PYB seems to be wrong, not physically possible with a conv. 5w20.

the valvoline seems troubling they were way off at 18+

definitely wouldnt want to run one of these in a turbo DI car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
PQIA continues its series on 5W-20 motor oils. Valvoline NextGen gets an Advisory for a high Noack.

Would this indicate that Ashland is only sampling a portion of batches rather than QCing every batch, or that there is a problem in their basic process of reusing motor oil?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Alot of the 5w20's are right there at 14-15%

the PYB seems to be wrong, not physically possible with a conv. 5w20.

Maybe not considering the QSAD is in the 7s.

Wow! Can't believe the Valvoline numbers though, this should stir up a bit of commotion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
PQIA continues its series on 5W-20 motor oils. Valvoline NextGen gets an Advisory for a high Noack.

Would this indicate that Ashland is only sampling a portion of batches rather than QCing every batch, or that there is a problem in their basic process of reusing motor oil?

There should be no expectation that every batch is tested.

There are quality control techniques, specifically SPC (statistical process control) that eliminates the need to do 100% compliance checks; if one can show that a process is "extremely repeatable" in producing a compliant product, the requirement to inspect the product is reduced.

I would suspect that the "feed stock" portion of their nextgen production would be heavily metered, but the additives and subsequent packing etc, not so much. JMO.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing RamFan. Maybe sopus just uses a better base oil in their conventional than the competition.

I want to see Chevron and Havoline too.

The Valvoline thing does bum me out,I was so excited about running some of that in my Sonata that I got for cheap.

Well they are fairly low VI, but the motorcraft has even lower 147vi and is near 15noack.

also 7.8 is impressive for conventional.

6.5 is 17% lower by comparison.. From previous results,I would think you would have to be GTL,PAO, or something more exotic redline? to be near 6.5... nothing close to a GII/GII+ conventional.

But hey maybe they are onto something there.

I'd be interested in seeing a noack list and deposit testing on all the super high VI oils vs lower

... m1 0w20, toyota 0w20,castrol titanium 0w20 etc.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
that pennzoil 6.5 noack has to be a missprint.

I think SOPUS may be using a higher percentage of its GTL base stocks in more of their products than they let on.
I knew I didn't like or trust that rehashed NextGen stuff, thankfully I never even considered using it.

Yes that's very interesting the NOACK spec's of 7.8% for QS and 6.5% for PYB.
I would think that's impossible for a mineral based 5W-20.
One explanation would be that SOPUS is using their GTL base oils which they have in abundance to formulate full syn or syn blends their so-called dino oils?
If that's the case then we've got a bargain on our hands.

Also when you factor in how low the CCS spec's are compared to the other dino oils it does look very much like QS and PYB are synthetic GTL based oils.
So take your pick. QS seems to be a bit lighter than PYB.

Geeze. As a SOPUS fanboy those numbers make me happy...though I am still skeptical. Might just start buying PYB instead of PP. The price difference seems to be too much to justify the cost

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
There should be no expectation that every batch is tested.

I would agree if the input were crude oil of a known type and make-up.

Used motor oil, which may include Group II, III, IV, and V oils in viscosities from 0W racing oil to SAE 50 diesel oil with unknown prior uses and in varying ratios, strikes me as something you might want to keep an eye on.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
that pennzoil 6.5 noack has to be a missprint.

QS low as well...7.8, and both have good -30C vis QS a bit better. Those 2 are [censored] good conventionals.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
One explanation would be that SOPUS is using their GTL base oils which they have in abundance to formulate full syn or syn blends their so-called dino oils?

It sure looks that way. With all the post about how good PYB and other SOPUS dino oils perform it sort of makes sense now just looking at the numbers.
This stuff seems to be similar to a Gp III synthetic.

TDS from 2011 shows a NOAK of 14.7% but that's long before the GTL plant came online.
If the QS wasn't also low I would be skeptical but they are close.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I wonder if this applies to all PYB (i.e. 10W40,20W50)? Makes me tempted to use it.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Think we just found out why that Valvoline was $1 quart at Autozone?

I bought the 5w30, seems in line but not spectacular in its pwia test. UOA also look good, not going to run more than 3 months in short tripper.

NextGen 5w30 PQIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back