New car, 2014 Mustang 5.0 Track Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I unloaded the Tundra and got her. This has the track package, has an external radiator, shares alot of Boss 302 parts. Calls for 5w-50 fully synthetic. I have seen some virgin analysis on the Motorcraft spec, and the add pack wasn't the greatest. Apparently these motors are known to burn a little in breakin. Thoughts?

Use an approved lubricant while under warranty (Motorcraft or Quaker State 5w-50) and enjoy the heck out of that car
thumbsup2.gif

Does it have an oil pressure and temperature guage ? j/k

Sounds awesome, and I hope that you enjoy it.

Nice! Never have been a fan of 'murican cars, and my father was an executive w Ford for over 20yrs, until I got to drive a Boss 302 Laguna Seca Edition through about 160mi of backroads and then for about 2hrs on track.

Absolutely awesome cars! They have no business handling as well as they do, and the power output and torque curve is insanely strong.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Approved lubricant while under warranty. Probably would run great on some Mobil 1 0W40 if you want to experiment later.

This. I would use the motorcraft or other approved oils until the warranty was up and then try out mobil 1 or maybe even redline, depending on how hard you drive the car
smirk.gif

Enjoy your Track Pack, I love mine!! Just did the first oil change on mine at 5082 miles. I used the Motorcraft 5W50 and did it under a repair order at my work to keep everything copacetic with the warranty.

Have we covered the differences already between the track pack and the standard version? Last I recall was just increased oil capacity plus the oil cooler?

Just trying to figure out if anything in the design would keep someone from using something between 5w20 and 5w50.

there isnt. they're saying 5w50 cause the temps it'll see at track. but the motorcraft 5w50 shears.

here's a link to a thread on another forum that'll be very very helpful.

www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/805918-official-gt-5-0-boss-302-uoa-thread.html

I just don't understand why people are so scared to run something other than what ford suggests. 5w50 is overkill. plus poor base stocks, weak TBN retention. poor shear stability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Just trying to figure out if anything in the design would keep someone from using something between 5w20 and 5w50.

there isnt. they're saying 5w50 cause the temps it'll see at track. but the motorcraft 5w50 shears.

here's a link to a thread on another forum that'll be very very helpful.

www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/805918-official-gt-5-0-boss-302-uoa-thread.html

I just don't understand why people are so scared to run something other than what ford suggests. 5w50 is overkill. plus poor base stocks, weak TBN retention. poor shear stability.

It's the spec oil for an engine under warranty, it isn't that hard to understand really. And I'd love to know your reasoning behind saying it has poor base stocks. Most oils with a big visc spread shear, so that's not surprising. And it only needs to have long duration TBN retention if it is running drain intervals that call for it, if it isn't, it doesn't. There's no reason to have an oil with a 25,000 mile TBN reserve being changed by the OLM at 6,000 miles.

Thanks all for the great advice!

Track Package has

Brembo Brakes / Calipers
Boss 302 Rear End
3.73 with the LSD
GT500 LCA and other suspension bits
Boss 302 Radiator/ Cooler

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back