BMW 528i - Hologram Removal and Paint Correction

Status
Not open for further replies.
This vehicle was a recent used car purchase. The owner had some concerns about the paint condition, so she had her servicing dealer address them.

When she received the vehicle back from the dealer, the paint looked great until the first wash. Once the low-quality wax was removed, a ton of holograms and buffer trails appeared.

She spent several months looking for a quality detailer, but finally found my friend's shop. Her main concern was that many detailers were hiding the defects instead of removing them. She was incredibly happy when she saw the completed result.

Products Used:
Wash - P&S Pearl Wash
Wheel Cleaner - Meguiars D140 Wheel Brightener
Chemical Decontamination - Iron-X Spray
Mechanical Decontamination - Nanoskin Fine Grade Wash Mitt
Clay Lubricant - P&S Paint Gloss
Polish - BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish
Buffing Pad - Meguiars DMC6 DA Microfiber Cutting Disc
LSP - BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

Tools Used:
Rupes 21
Brinkmann MaxFire Dual Xenon Light
Wheel Woolies
Various MF towels

This is how the vehicle looked upon arrival:

One step paint correction using a Meguiars DMC6 Microfiber Cutting Disc and BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish. Yes, I am using both of these products outside of their intended application, but just look at the results:

Pretty good for a one step correction?

Haze-free:

90-95% correction on this R/F fender:

From a distance:

The obligatory gloss picture:

Time spent:
1 hr - wash/decontamination
6 hr - paint correction
1 hr - paint sealant application
3 hr - full interior detail (wipe-down, clean/condition leather, extract carpet)

Total: 11 hours.

Happy Detailing!

Originally Posted By: dparm
Impressive.

I see you used Nanoscrub AND clay? Isn't that redundant?

Thanks.

The P&S Paint Gloss was used as a lubricant for the Nanoskin mitt. I have found that the mitt works better when used with detail spray.

Nanoskin does not fully replace clay. Clay works a bit better at removing overspray and certain types of contamination.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Impressive.

I see you used Nanoscrub AND clay? Isn't that redundant?

Thanks.

The P&S Paint Gloss was used as a lubricant for the Nanoskin mitt. I have found that the mitt works better when used with detail spray.

Nanoskin does not fully replace clay. Clay works a bit better at removing overspray and certain types of contamination.

Yes, thanks for clarifying. I guess I didn't understand that point. I have a two-pack (medium and fine) Nanoskin sponges I'm anxious to try out this spring.

Yes, thanks for clarifying. I guess I didn't understand that point. I have a two-pack (medium and fine) Nanoskin sponges I'm anxious to try out this spring.

Iron-X the car first, then use the fine grade. You will save a significant amount of time and get a better result.

While it is more expensive, the spray version of Iron-X works better and faster than the paste version.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Iron-X the car first, then use the fine grade. You will save a significant amount of time and get a better result.

While it is more expensive, the spray version of Iron-X works better and faster than the paste version.

I have a spray bottle of Iron-X I'm waiting to try too. :)

Great work
thumbsup2.gif

Ahh yes, the typical lazy/inexperienced dealership detailer: apply something with cut using a rotary and do one quick swipe across the whole car. Nice work fixing it!

Just for an extra bit of vanity when finished you might consider trying Adam's Invisible Undercarriage Spray (or something like it) in the wheel wells. It doesn't last through rain but it isn't sticky and really sets off the job when admiring/presenting it.

Whelp since no one else has said it, time to start getting paid for your hard work, Michael.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back