converting S/PDIF to analog RCA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to connect my audio from my Samsung plasma TV to my Pioneer analog amp. Discovered I will need something like this:
http://www.ambery.com/2ditoanaudac.html
but there are cheaper ones out there. Found one on ebay for 23 bucks....however....it states that you can't use that particular one IF it is coded...like Dolby/DTS etc. etc. On the menu from the TV, I can set the sound as to turn off the SRS system. My question....if I do that, will the sound coming off of the S/PDIF optical output be still uncoded or still coded? That ambery system above seems like it would do it regardless, but really only need one optical input and just one analog L/R output to run into a tape 1 or 2 input.
The amp I'm plugging into a full analog, 1984 Pioneer SA-8800 model.

Your TV probably already has an analog out. Mid-level TVs have had this since the early 90's and yours is a modern plasma (I hope!) In my family we have two entry level plasmas: a 2007 Best Buy Insignia (rebranded Samsung) and a 2009 LG plasma. Both have analog outs.

Your analog out is either stereo line-level meaning your TV volume control will not adjust it or is variable meaning it can. Some have both line and variable outputs while others like TVs from the past 5 years you choose in the menus.

Last edited:
LPCM will be output over the "analog RCA" (red/white). AFAIK you cannot output Dolby Digital over that type of connection.

you probably have a headphone out.

use that with a headphone to rca adapter

I would recommend disabling the SRS thing anyways. It will just add faux-surround effects, making dialogue harder to understand.

There is no headphone out nor rca out. Ive checked and fairly knowledgable with stereos. That tv is a 2011 bare bones model from wally world. One usb port, two hdmi ports and two rca in for external components. All inputs. Only output is an optical small square port looking thing. It says digital optical out....not s/pdti...just digital out. There is a dolby trademark notification on the back of it. Can anyone tell me if the output digital optic line is coded ? I have to get a certain type of decoder to go from digital to analog. My wii and other games will sound absolute killer running through 80 watts on my 84 pioneer amp, dynamic range enhancer,12 band graphic equalizer and jbl 112's!!!!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
There is no headphone out nor rca out. Ive checked and fairly knowledgable with stereos. That tv is a 2011 bare bones model from wally world. One usb port, two hdmi ports and two rca in for external components. All inputs. Only output is an optical small square port looking thing. It says digital optical out....not s/pdti...just digital out. There is a dolby trademark notification on the back of it. Can anyone tell me if the output digital optic line is coded ? I have to get a certain type of decoder to go from digital to analog. My wii and other games will sound absolute killer running through 80 watts on my 84 pioneer amp, dynamic range enhancer,12 band graphic equalizer and jbl 112's!!!!

The problem is that the audio signal carried on that optical connection is completely different (digital) from what would be going over a headphone jack or "red/white RCA" (analog).

There is stuff like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Converter-Adapter-Includes/dp/B003OND0N4/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

But I frankly have no clue how well it is going to work. Note that it says 'Converts 2-channel LPCM digital audio S/PDIF Coax or TOSLink Optical signals to analog stereo L/R signals'. If the TV has an option to downmix the audio (might be called downsampling, audio output format, downmix, etc in the menu), then it could work. But if the TV will only bitstream (dump non-decoded audio), it won't work. That TV might be stripped of the features you really need.

BTW, SPDIF can be either fibre-optic (TOSlink) OR a single RCA connection.

This is it....just a tad older but exact same specs....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-PN43F4500-43-720p-600Hz-Class-Plasma-HDTV/23347326
from within that, came this....

Advanced audio processing decodes the DTS stream, then mixes down and outputs 2-channel audio, played back via stereo speakers. Digital Out means the device can also output the DTS bitstream via digital outputs (S/PDIF or HDMI) to a receiver to decode DTS audio.

I think I just answered my question....(helps if I'd READ the thing) the output from the optic line is DTS bitstream....does DTS stand for something Dolby? I would think it does. So, i'd have to get a decoder that could decode DTS audio. Does that sound about right????

DTS = Digital Theater Systems, which is a generic term used to describe a bunch of sound formats from that company. Dolby is a competitor.

And yes, if it won't downconvert to LPCM or stereo, your receiver won't know what to do with it. Check the configuration menus to see if you can enable downconversion. Otherwise, you're SOL.

....got a great deal and didn't need all those "extras," as long as the guts were there....and they are. Great TV....love the colors....once I get this digital to analog thing worked out..will have a killer sound system.

I just took a look at other current model plasmas... RCA audio out is very rare! Anyhow... check your TV's manual or dig through the audio menu. If you can verify that the optical out can output PCM then you can use any optical-in DAC such as this one for $28 from a site I trust:

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/fiio-d03k-taishan-dac.php

It is powered via 5V USB. So chances are good you just plug it into the USB input on your TV as power and it will automatically turn on when you turn your TV on.

I did. All external out sound is only through the digital TOSlink. Found a decoder for 43 bucks on ebay. Emailed the vendor and confirmed that it will support DTS audio via toslink input and converts it to analog L/R audio for the amp. Haven't tried it out yet as I haven't ordered it. In the process of installing cabinets and flooring for the man cave. Once I get that all situated and stereo installed the way I want it, I'll order that unit. I'll also need about 10 feet of TOSlink cable.

What is the source of your TV signal? Is it some cable/sat TV box or other media device? Can't you take audio signal directly from that device and feed it into your amp/receiver?

Now, if your TV signal source is a small rabbit ears TV antenna, then I guess that has no audio output, so this would not work.

No box...just got one for the main TV. This one has a converter box that just has one coaxial input and one coaxial output that goes to the TV. I'm doing exactly that with the main TV and running the audio out signal through a JBL 5.1 surround sound, all analog.

Update....found a converter on ebay. Takes the toslink cable, converts it to RCA plug L/R signal, put that through the amp and it works great!!! Volume was a little low until I ran the raw signal through my range expander and now works pretty good!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back