Oil and Fluid recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone!

I am a new member learning my way around the forum. I know some basics about cars, but to the chemical technicalities of so many of these oils and fluids. Looking forward to learning something!

I just bought and 1995 Mazda Protege as a winter beater, though it is still in great shape for age. I am trying to get some oil and fluid recommendations. The manual recommends 10W30.

I was thinking Valvoline green/recycled high mileage oil. I am also using the Valvoline high mileage coolant. I am assuming that these "for high mileage cars" fluids have additives that are good for older cars. For my Mustang, I use Mobil One. But for this car, I want whatever will help it last.

Also, what do you guys think of the coolant system sealants? Those bottles of aluminum silver particles.

Thanks in advance!

I think you would do well with a 5w30 oil. What is the mileage on the vehicle. If it is not buring oil then I would not jump to a HM oil. If the cooling system is not leaking then I would not use any sealent.

Stay away from the packets...although they may block stop the leak, they can also block where you don't want them to.

Agree on 5w30 year round and no special anything if it is not leaking.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
welcome2.gif

The Valvoline Maxlife line is a good choice, but any oil of the proper viscosity and API rating would be suitable.

Stay away from the cooling system sealants. Fix the problem, don't put a bandage on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back