Saw this at the AZ today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Ford had a monopoly on Ford Mercon LV but Castrol appears to think other wise:
CCB846B3-8D40-4FBA-8D96-3C022B026819.jpg

Back

and front
3BCCD7FF-53BC-4D01-82B1-0E5D11321B0C.jpg

So is this old news? First I saw of it..

Not a fan of universal fluids personally... But looks interesting. How much $?

That packaging confuses me. It states:
"Suitable for use in all Toyota transmissions" but,
it does not specify whether that is Type WS or T-IV.

My educated understanding tells me WS and T-IV are not interchangeable.

What gives?

I didn't even think Dexron VI and Dexron III were even interchangeable. In the jugs of Castrol "Domestic Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid" I have seen, it says suitable for use in Dexron III (and prior), do not use in newer vehicles calling for Dexron VI.

How come this fluid is interchangeable with both types of Dexron?

It was like six bucks and change per quart IIRC. And I noticed that it says not to use in trans requiring Mercon V, SP or type F.

I'm going to give the local Ford dealer a call and see what the "proper" Mercon LV goes for.

Originally Posted By: 51Plymouth
I didn't even think Dexron VI and Dexron III were even interchangeable. In the jugs of Castrol "Domestic Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid" I have seen, it says suitable for use in Dexron III (and prior), do not use in newer vehicles calling for Dexron VI.

How come this fluid is interchangeable with both types of Dexron?

They are not "interchangeable". Dex-VI has a lower startup viscosity than Dex-III, but they have the same viscosity at operating temp, so using Dex-VI in a Dex-III spec'd vehicle is like using a 0W-X oil in an engine that calls for a 10W-X or 15W-X, which is okay because all of those fluids are too thick at startup anyway. But using Dex-III when Dex-VI is called for is like using an oil with a higher than spec'd winter viscosity.

That is the first approved aftermarket Mercon LV approved fluid I have seen. I'd use it in the Fusion, but Redline D6 has been good in the trans, so I'll stick with that. Not "approved", but its a great fluid.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Dex-VI has a lower startup viscosity than Dex-III, but they have the same viscosity at operating temp, so using Dex-VI in a Dex-III spec'd vehicle is like using a 0W-X oil in an engine that calls for a 10W-X or 15W-X, which is okay because all of those fluids are too thick at startup anyway. But using Dex-III when Dex-VI is called for is like using an oil with a higher than spec'd winter viscosity.

No, operating temp viscosity of new DIII is much higher than DVI. It's old DIII that shears down to the DVI range.

It's like starting with 5W30 oil that shares down to 5W20 range (it's really more like 10W20) vs using 5W20 from the beginning.

Hmm..... #XT-10-QLVC
FordPartsGiant get's $5.55 a quart, But there's a minimum $12 shipping
Amazon.com Gets $13.17 a quart, w/ Prime free shipping
Avg dealer cost's are $10 a quart

Avg Drain and Fill is 4 qts,
FPG = $38 ish with tax
Amazon = $57 ish with tax
Dealer = $44 ish with tax

I'd price shop local dealers, But I would most certainly, Except Type F/Mercon/Mercon V, Never use a Aftermarket fluid in a SP/LV/CVT/Dual Clutch transmission.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Looking at the flash points between the two: Castrol - 350F, Mercon - 421F; something here is different! All the other specs are pretty close though...

Good find. I'm not expert on flash points but it sounds like Mercon is full synthetic and Castrol is not.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Dex-VI has a lower startup viscosity than Dex-III, but they have the same viscosity at operating temp, so using Dex-VI in a Dex-III spec'd vehicle is like using a 0W-X oil in an engine that calls for a 10W-X or 15W-X, which is okay because all of those fluids are too thick at startup anyway. But using Dex-III when Dex-VI is called for is like using an oil with a higher than spec'd winter viscosity.

No, operating temp viscosity of new DIII is much higher than DVI. It's old DIII that shears down to the DVI range.

It's like starting with 5W30 oil that shares down to 5W20 range (it's really more like 10W20) vs using 5W20 from the beginning.

Right, and it is backwards compatible. I have a 4L80E and 4T65EHD using it right now. So much nicer than DEX III.

Nice to finally see an approved aftermarket LV compatible fluid.

While it may not be any cheaper, it at least gives an option as far as availability, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back