Bluetooth ODBII Readers. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bluetooth reader such as that can cost under $10.
Torque is a great app, with a free version available.

I much prefer the shorter version, which costs about the same. They don't get knocked out by your knee as often.

The all work about the same. Not especially fast, but do everything a typical user needs.

Use it and love my cheap obd bluetooth and torque. Worked great everytime i used it. You should be able to find one for 10-15$ though.

Last edited:
I got the exact same reader for Christmas (ok, I ordered it and the kids gave it for me). It works great. I downloaded the $4.99 app and I'm still discovering all the stuff it will do.

I'd read some of the $10-$15 were cheap knock-offs and there were some problems with them.

Originally Posted By: kmcavin
I got the exact same reader for Christmas (ok, I ordered it and the kids gave it for me). It works great. I downloaded the $4.99 app and I'm still discovering all the stuff it will do.

I'd read some of the $10-$15 were cheap knock-offs and there were some problems with them.

The guys at Volvospeed also share your sentiments on the lower price models, i.e. [censored] quality. With the stellar reviews on this particular model, it's worth a few extra bucks for an item I plan to use for years to come.

I got one of the knockoff ELM327s off eBay. Surprisingly it works fine, and yes, Torque is a great app, well worth the $$.

I do feel a little bad though... afterwards I read the history of the ELM327 units, basically the Elm guys didn't properly encode the programming on their initial units, some Chinese group reverse engineered it and now the market is flooded with cheap clones of varying quality and it can be hard to know what you're getting.

I got this one off Amazon a little over a year ago for
Works great on both my Hyundais and with the Torque app there is a Hyundai plug in that gives oil temp and much more.

Not bad for under $40 total. Plus you can log the data easily. It is a little slow if you log a lot of data.

I use the BAFX unit with TorquePro and I like it. I haven't been able to fully test it yet, but there's a plug-in called "Track Recorder" that you can use to record video with on-screen data. If I can find a simple and quality mount, I'd like to start using my tablet more as a dash-cam and log my speed/GPS as well.

I've been using Bluetooth OBDII scanners for a bit. It's quite a handy tool. Turn the car off, plug it on, fire it up and your phone should find it.

Note: iPhone users must use the BAFX WiFI module. For the $23 adapter which is the real deal unlike the fake unit I got before, I've surprised so many people around me with it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
what software do you use with iPhone? And does that cost extra or included with the BAFX WiFi?

I use OBD Car Doctor. Works well with my three vehicles.

Any good recommendations on the cheap OBDII bluetooth readers? I just need something that works to capture a code every now and then. Are all the generic ones the same on ebay or is there any particular type/seller that someone can recommend.

Thanks for the recommendations. I won an auction for a bluetooth elm327 generic for ~$4. It worked perfectly with Torque on android and obtained the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back