winter weight oil for coleman powermate generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 10 year old Coleman Powermate generator with a 10 hp Tecumseh 4 cycle engine. Up until now it has only been used in warm weather and the manufacturer specified 30 weight oil has worked fine. I now want to be able to use the generator in winter weather but I cannot locate the owners manual and don't know what the proper viscosity oil would be. Any suggestions as to viscosity and conventional vs synthetic would be greatly appreciated.

0w30, best oil for it year round.
Maybe a 0w40 if you think it is a little worn and want to have awesome protection in the Summer.

Either way, the oils have "freezing point" of something around -47 degrees F most of the time and a very robust synthetic base that is great at higher temperatures.

Agreed...

First number is viscosity when cold, 0W is the most fluid (liquid ) when cold,

Second number is viscosity when hot...

A 30 weight oil is ???W30, no idea what it's like cold, 30 weight when hot...

Use a synthetic, much longer run time (200 hours) vs Dino (60 hours).
Use an vibration hour meter to keep track of the run time...

Last edited:
I think I have the same generator as my backup (to my propane) generator. I use Amsoil 4-Stroke 0W30 small engine oil in it. I have also used the Amsoil 4-Stroke 0W40 which I think was the original Amsoil 4-Stroke oil weight.

The carb is off right now being cleaned as it needed a little choke to keep it running halfway decent. But have yet to find anything that really looks dirty. Unfortunately they sell almost no parts for the carb. The gasket for the bowl is a little hard and needs replacement.

Originally Posted By: docdavid
Any suggestions as to viscosity and conventional vs synthetic would be greatly appreciated.

If I told you it doesn't really matter (to a certain degree...), would you believe me?

Seriously though, look at Donald for a prime example -- it's always the fuel system that people have problems with on infrequently used small engines. Focus your attention on this system, and keep it in the best shape you can.

um no thats not even remotely correct.
15.gif
15.gif

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Agreed...

First number is viscosity when cold, 0W is the most fluid (liquid ) when cold,

Second number is viscosity when hot...

A 30 weight oil is ???W30, no idea what it's like cold, 30 weight when hot...

Use a synthetic, much longer run time (200 hours) vs Dino (60 hours).
Use an vibration hour meter to keep track of the run time...

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
0w30, best oil for it year round.

^this.

Those engines are sensitive to oil viscosity during hot and heavy use. Choose your oil carefully. Plenty of Tecumseh engines broke connecting rods due to "dino" 5W-30 after the FL hurricanes. The local shop had nearly 100 of them for repair for the exact same issue.

Winter ops: Chose something like Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck or Rotella T6. If you pick a super thin, cheap oil, there is a risk it will remain in the engine during summer ops.

Summer ops: 5W-40 or 15W-50M1.

I use M1 10-30 in my Powermate with the Subaru engine. It performs very well in all temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back