VW door arrestor grease

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My wife's 08 Rabbit has started squeaking at the hinge. Other than my Mercedes cars that have a port for grease/oil, Ive never paid much attention to servicing hinges.

From the factory the arrestor, which has three small rollers, was greased with a metallic grey-black looking grease. Apparently it is this arrestor and these rollers that should be greased.

My plan was to spray the rollers with WD-40 to flush them a bit, then hit them with my zoom spout oiler to work some oil into the moving parts (internal), and then put some grease on the arrestor rolers' exterior, like I observed from the factory.

This is a wash area, so I was thinking of perhaps an Aluminum grease.

The OE grease wasnt black, it was more black-grey, kind of the color and sheen of graphite in a pencil. I wonder if it is moly grease or even a graphite grease? Any ideas?

Im not keen on and dont have any white lithium, nor am I planning on buying any.

Here is an image I found online of what the hinge rollers look like. Fortunately ours are in far better shape, just dry...

doorhinge.jpg

I would not use WD-40. Too much solvent. How do you know what is sqeaking, the hinge or door check? Does the owners manual say what to lube things with? Some chassis grease shot into the hinge with a needle may help. Or just some chassis grease on the contacting areas of the door check.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Wurth HHS 2000 aka HHS-K

It has nice penetrating properties and then sets up thick grease.

Agreed, but this DOES wash out over time, especially in the 'salt soup' we all must face in the winter.

Now if one put some waterproof marine grease OVER the Wurth product.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Wurth HHS 2000 aka HHS-K

Agreed, but this DOES wash out over time, especially in the 'salt soup' we all must face in the winter.

smile.gif

SO? What's so hard about reapplying some every now and then?

I recently did these on my sister's Jetta. I used the Rust Check in the green can you can get at Canadian Tire. It is the heavier, greasier version.

Alas, no CT in these parts and no anti ripest stuff at the local stores. I do think I've got a can of Krown t-40 that perhaps I should use...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Alas, no CT in these parts and no anti ripest stuff at the local stores. I do think I've got a can of Krown t-40 that perhaps I should use...

Worth a shot
smile.gif

Wurth HHS 2000 aka HHS-K

ZEP also has a product called ZEP 2000 which we have at work which is a copy of the Worth stuff as we have not had a Wurth guy in years but we do have a ZEP guy

Originally Posted By: vssjim
Wurth HHS 2000 aka HHS-K

ZEP also has a product called ZEP 2000 which we have at work which is a copy of the Worth stuff as we have not had a Wurth guy in years but we do have a ZEP guy

Thanks! Looked at it on amazon and its $$$. Will need to look into a source.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Wurth HHS 2000 aka HHS-K

smile.gif

SO? What's so hard about reapplying some every now and then?

NOTHING at all is hard, or difficult about it.

It's just that this stuff is not exactly priced like Sino Mart's Super Tech spray, that's all (besides being hard to find, at ANY price).
wink.gif

I believe the grease in that hinge is a moly based grease that is the same or similar to what is in the wheel bearing.
Most likely a Wurth or Liqui-Moly product used as OEM by VW/Audi.

My 1996 VW Golf has the exact same set up, a port with a black rubber plug covering it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back