Extreme Cold. Are You Running MMO for a UCL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Every now and than i toss in some gas line antifreeze but besides that no.

If you're using regular fuel its already got 10% antifreeze in it already

One of the few benefits of E laced petrol.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: eljefino
I use nothing! Don't want fouled plugs.

Curious...

demarpaint: Did you ever get fouled plugs in all those years/decades of running MMO in the gas??

Never! I've also experimented like the late Gary Allen did with massive doses of as much as 2 qts. in 20 gallons of gas [which I don't recommend] long before my Bitog days. Never a fouled plug and they always came out just fine.

My son is currently on his 4th deployment and just before he left he added a qt of MMO to the gas in his Rav4 at the gas station, then filled the tank. He drove for about 30 minutes and parked it for the next 6-9 months. This will be the 4th time doing it, three times to a BMW 323i and once to the Rav4 and he's never fouled a plug either.

Bottom line 4 or 5 ounces to 10 gallons of gas is not going to foul plugs or have any negative impact on how the engine starts. At least from my 4 decades of using it. But as always opinions will vary.

One last note, I've used it as fogging oil from time to time, and squirt it directly into the carb of a running engine and stall it. Next season it fires right up, the plug in my mower is at least 10 years old. I don't remove and clean the plug.

When I lived up by Fairbanks AK for 10 years, I never put anything in my gasser fuel tank except an occasional bottle of heat and a regular dose of Techron. Worse I ever experienced was -72F and never had any issues.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I believe that the lighter adds will be more volatile, which is good for cold weather starting.

We don't have cold weather starting issues. Strong batteries & Synthetic oil gets the credit.

(Watch, I jinx'd myself now...)
27.gif
lol.gif

e dont either, but I cant see the HC profile or O2 sensor readouts in real time, and know for certain what it does to combustion efficiency.

If Im spewing hCs down the tailpipe, its a waste.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
When I lived up by Fairbanks AK for 10 years, I never put anything in my gasser fuel tank except an occasional bottle of heat and a regular dose of Techron. Worse I ever experienced was -72F and never had any issues.

Man is that cold!!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Man is that cold!!

+1 I think at those temperatures even a fully charged lead acid battery will freeze its electrolyte!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Man is that cold!!

+1 I think at those temperatures even a fully charged lead acid battery will freeze its electrolyte!

I'd think they'd have some kind of battery warmer, block heater, oil pan heater, tranny heater, differential heaters, etc. Or park in a heated garage. Honestly, I'd stay home and sit real close to the wood stove if it got that cold.

-66F in Fairbanks during winter of 2000 when I was there. My car block heater and battery heater died on me simultaneously that night. Didn't get it started for another 24 hrs but it did start once temps broke downwards to -20F region and a boost from neighbors truck.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
I just keep using the same 1oz/5gallon tcw3 treatment.

Me too! No problems starting up and I just changed the plugs on my Pontiac a few weeks ago. It has seen 1oz per 5 gallons of gas for the last 3 years or so, The plugs were completely spotless and the electrodes barely worn down. I almost put the old plugs back in and returned the new plugs but with 80,000 hard miles on the plugs, I couldnt do it.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Originally Posted By: Brenden
I just keep using the same 1oz/5gallon tcw3 treatment.

The plugs were completely spotless and the electrodes barely worn down. I almost put the old plugs back in and returned the new plugs but with 80,000 hard miles on the plugs, I couldnt do it.

That seems to be very common for me as well. The problem is plugs are very often a real PITA to remove and re-install so I always put new ones in once I take then out. Now I extend their service life instead. It sounds like you probably could have gone 100K miles or more.

On a similar note, does TCW-3 perform similarly to MMO as an UCL in very cold temp conditions?

^^^I don't know if it does or not, but I just dumped 3 ounces of the Red Line Watercraft Injection stuff, along with 8 ounces of their SI-1 into my tank before filling up with Shell 93.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^I don't know if it does or not, but I just dumped 3 ounces of the Red Line Watercraft Injection stuff, along with 8 ounces of their SI-1 into my tank before filling up with Shell 93.
wink.gif

thumbsup2.gif

We're going to have "Highs" of -15F to -20F & the "Lows" at -30F to -35F. Actual air temp, of course.

I put in MMO in all our vehicles' gas tanks for upper cylinder lubrication.

Do you add MMO, especially in the extreme cold, for the same reason? Why or why not??

Turk, how it the MMO dose working out for you in the extreme cold?

We're going to have "Highs" of -15F to -20F & the "Lows" at -30F to -35F. Actual air temp, of course.

Do you add MMO, especially in the extreme cold, for the same reason? Why or why not??

Very well, actually.

It's interesting, when I add MMO to the gas, the engine sounds slightly more "homogeneous" or "harmonious" if you know what I mean.

Again, I only run it once every several tank fulls at best, but I can absolutely hear a difference. Makes me want to run it much more ofter, if not every tankful.

Very well, actually.

It's interesting, when I add MMO to the gas, the engine sounds slightly more "homogeneous" or "harmonious" if you know what I mean.

Again, I only run it once every several tank fulls at best, but I can absolutely hear a difference. Makes me want to run it much more ofter, if not every tankful.

I know exactly what you mean, nice description! You'll notice it even more in an old beater. Added to the oil the engine turns over faster and easier, there's less cold weather associated noises as well.

Although unscientific (just my opinion) but I believe vehicle with dino 5W30 plus 15% ~ 20% MMO added turns over faster and easier than synthetic 5W30 without MMO added .

MMO has a moderate dose of Phosphorus which is primarily used as an anti-wear add and is around a 10w viscosity wise. The easier turn-over is probably related to the latter but the additional phos may be providing extra protection during that time.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Although unscientific (just my opinion) but I believe vehicle with dino 5W30 plus 15% ~ 20% MMO added turns over faster and easier than synthetic 5W30 without MMO added .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46

It does. I've done lets call it some informal testing over the years with my pre-luber pump. 5W30 PYB with 1 qt MMO in a 6 qt sump for maint cleaning during the dead of winter. I usually run 0W30 or 5W30 synthetic, Mobil 1, Edge, or Amsoil SSO. In all cases at about 30ºF the PYB MMO mix will build oil pressure pumped through my pre-luber faster than any 0W30 or 5W30 that I've used. As the temp drops the difference is even more noticeable. Hopefully I don't need a flame suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back