What oil would an engine like this use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a VW 2.0 litre 16 valve, 58psi boost at circa 1000 hp - I watched the clip on youtube and first thing I thought was "I wonder what oil he uses in that thing" like what could withstan the blowby and the heat and the shear from that much pressure an temperature.. Would Redline's 70wt nitro drag oil be under/over spec?

And he replied:

"Shell 10W60 stock ABF oilpump"

Must be the Shell Ultra Racing 10W-60.

Shell%20Helix%20Ultra%20racing%20copy.png

Is it for drag racing or road racing? 58 psi is the kind of boost they used to run in F1 1.5L qualifying engines.

Redline's 70WT Nitro oil would probably be overkill for that engine. Nitro engines have to deal with a lot of fuel dilution.

OK, I watched the video. It's a street car, and it looks like it could be run on a track, but they were only going through the gears during the video. What a wanton display of excess Horsepower. I love it. The thing I noticed was the turbo wouldn't spool until the engine got to 5400 rpm, so it would have nothing down low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Is it for drag racing or road racing? 58 psi is the kind of boost they used to run in F1 1.5L qualifying engines.

I guess you didn't know that EVERY bone stock, untouched, 2JZ-GTE can handle that kind of boost on 91 pump gas?
crackmeup2.gif

Not enough info'
Like every engine it depends on maximum oil temp's.
Then you want the oil to be light enough for the oil pump to be out of by-pass at high rev's.

The 10W-60 will likely be too heavy unless oil temp's are exceeding 120C.

being out of OP relief does not ensure that the oil film thickness in the bearing is up to the requirements for the load applied to it

Originally Posted By: Shannow
being out of OP relief does not ensure that the oil film thickness in the bearing is up to the requirements for the load applied to it

If it doesn't then the maximum relief pressure setting will have to be raised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back