Extreme Cold. Are You Running MMO for a UCL??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're going to have "Highs" of -15F to -20F & the "Lows" at -30F to -35F. Actual air temp, of course.

I put in MMO in all our vehicles' gas tanks for upper cylinder lubrication.

Do you add MMO, especially in the extreme cold, for the same reason? Why or why not??

Yes I do. In fact instead of adding 4 ounces of MMO per 10 gallons of gas I add 5. I've been doing so during the winter months for a very long time now.
27.gif
My snow blower gets a hefty dose too.

I use MMO @ the rate of approximately 4 oz per 10 gallons of gasoline in our vehicles and started with the first tank of gas after driving off the lot.

Back in Wisconsin where they have harsh Winter conditions years ago MMO was used at the rate of around 20% in the crankcase too.

That and having an electric heater keeping the oil warm was a plus in starting in the mornings.

Newer motor oils today help in starting when it is extremely cold help too.

No. As the temperatures drop, I don't add any two-stroke oil, and when really frigid, I run SI-1 or soy shield instead.

I believe that the lighter adds will be more volatile, which is good for cold weather starting.

Originally Posted By: Turk
We're going to have "Highs" of -15F to -20F & the "Lows" at -30F to -35F. Actual air temp, of course.

Do you add MMO, especially in the extreme cold, for the same reason? Why or why not??

That's dang cold. We're going to be around +12º tues & weds morning and that's unusually cold for us. FWIW I use 1oz/5gals of tcw3.

Will be -20F here Monday and yes MMO is in the tank just like it has for years.
BTW Packer kick off should be around -2F and will be a great day to have Brats on the grill.

Last edited:

I already have a UCL, it's called motor oil.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I believe that the lighter adds will be more volatile, which is good for cold weather starting.

We don't have cold weather starting issues. Strong batteries & Synthetic oil gets the credit.

(Watch, I jinx'd myself now...)
27.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

I already have a UCL, it's called motor oil.

You've got bad rings that you're getting oil in the combustion chamber??

j/k, kinda.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

We don't have cold weather starting issues. Strong batteries & Synthetic oil gets the credit.

(Watch, I jinx'd myself now...)
27.gif
lol.gif

Be careful
31.gif
. I was bragging about my 13+ year old battery a few weeks back. Guess what, I went to fire up my van and it didn't have the power to start it. I charged up the battery, and ordered one online from AAP, then took a ride over and had them put it in. Painless, and a good price with the online codes.

We're going to have "Highs" of -15F to -20F & the "Lows" at -30F to -35F. Actual air temp, of course. I put in MMO in all our vehicles' gas tanks for upper cylinder lubrication. Do you add MMO, especially in the extreme cold, for the same reason? Why or why not?

Yes, good idea. Buy why only in cold or frigid weather?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I use nothing! Don't want fouled plugs.

At the recommended rates it's a none issue.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
We're going to have "Highs" of -15F to -20F & the "Lows" at -30F to -35F. Actual air temp, of course. I put in MMO in all our vehicles' gas tanks for upper cylinder lubrication. Do you add MMO, especially in the extreme cold, for the same reason? Why or why not?

Yes, good idea. Buy why only in cold or frigid weather?

I run MMO occasionally; in 1 out every 5 tanks of gas on average...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I use nothing! Don't want fouled plugs.

Curious...

demarpaint: Did you ever get fouled plugs in all those years/decades of running MMO in the gas??

I use TC-W3 2 cycle oil at 1oz per 2 gallons and Power Service winter formula at the rate listed on the bottle in my diesel. I don't add anything to my gasoline vehicles. I've never used MMO in anything.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Every now and than i toss in some gas line antifreeze but besides that no.

If you're using regular fuel its already got 10% antifreeze in it already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back