Do I have to be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I see from the oil cap.

Is it normal ?

IMG_20131231_113929_zpse26bcf13.jpg

I don't think you have to be worried.

It's been very cold. Moisture will condense on the cap and give you that milky appearance. It should burn off after a nice long trip.

What engine/history?

The photo seems to show a baffle under the fill hole. Just because it is crudded up doesn't automatically mean the rest of the engine will be.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
What engine/history?

The photo seems to show a baffle under the fill hole. Just because it is crudded up doesn't automatically mean the rest of the engine will be.

Yes you are right, made a mistake,it is the fill hole.

The engine is Kia 2006 2.0L on kia spectra.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan

It's been very cold. Moisture will condense on the cap and give you that milky appearance. It should burn off after a nice long trip.

Thats not yellow slime from moisture thats the baffle with the black crude scrapped off.

I would scale back your OCI to 15k and check oil condition with a UOA. Might be nothing, might be something but can't be sure just yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hemitom

Thats not yellow slime from moisture thats the baffle with the black crude scrapped off.

After looking again it does look like areas of the baffle missing pieces of sludge. The black edges are sharp and clearly defined."Mayo" just doesn't look like that.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Is this the same car that had high fuel in the oil?

No.

The car goes very good so far.

I was thinking that can be an issue with PCV Valve since I never changed it, now the car has 134.000 KM the first 5000 I did with factory oil, after I put the kia dealer oil Kendal changing every 5000 km.

The car was going horrible with that oil since the first kilometer, horrible oil.

So I changed when the car had 20.000 km to petrocanada synthetic and the car just changed totally.

I used this oil for 30.000 km with OCI 12.000.

Than I changed to Amsoil with 20.000km OCI.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Why are you asking the question here?

This is

Science and Technology of Oils and Lubricant Additives » Technical and White Papers

Why not ask the question here:

Mechanical Maintenance Forum

You are right how do I move the post ?

Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone

After looking again it does look like areas of the baffle missing pieces of sludge. The black edges are sharp and clearly defined."Mayo" just doesn't look like that.

SLUDGE !!!!! I thought was varnish

Originally Posted By: Mephy
Originally Posted By: Keith_Stone

SLUDGE !!!!! I thought was varnish

It's a layer of thicker particulate matter. More than just varnish.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not be worried. Are you getting UOA for your extended OCIs?

No

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks like the 20k km OCI is not exactly working out as advertised. This engine should be spotless. That amount of crud would not be acceptable to me especially if I was using synthetic.
I would bring this matter with Amsoil.

Is it possible that is PCV valve issue ?

Originally Posted By: Mephy
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Looks like the 20k km OCI is not exactly working out as advertised. This engine should be spotless. That amount of crud would not be acceptable to me especially if I was using synthetic.
I would bring this matter with Amsoil.

Is it possible that is PCV valve issue ?

Yes, a clogged PCV will only accelerate deposit buildup, but it had to get clogged by something in the first place and the only thing it can get clogged by is oil by products.

I dont think you described your daily commute and how the car is driven in general, but judging from your low mileage and the build up, it looks like the oil should've been changed more often.
Short trips, especially during Canadian winters, will put lots of fuel dilution and moisture contamination onto the oil. Synthetics don't deal any better with these contaminants and sometimes have to be changed just as often as dino. Since you didn't do any UOAs, it's hard to say what the optimal OCI for you driving style should be, but the current one is too long IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back