Intermittant Whine from Engine - Nissan Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2008 frontier with the VQ40 has developed an intermittant, fairly high pitched whine from the engine compartment. It's not loud, but noticeable. It's definitly engine related, because it changes pitch as the engine speeds up and slows down.

I know these engines have issues with the timing chain tensioners. I'm curious if this sound would be consistant with that, or if I should be looking elsewhere. I've seen it described as a "siren" type noise by Boomer, I also associate that description with it being quite loud - which mine isn't. Mine is also intermittant.

Any thoughts? I may just need to schedule an appt. with the dealership and hope it's making the noise when I drop it off.

You're in Wisconsin and it's cold.
I'm thinking it is power steering pump cavitation.
Does the whine get louder when you turn the steering wheel?

It's definitly cold - negative 14 this morning and colder weather on the way - but I haven't noticed a change in the whine when turning the wheel. If it's acting up on the way home tonight I'll try to confirm that.

Just because the pitch changes with RPM doesn't mean its isolated to just the engine. Transmission, power steering also change with RPM.

My first thought of high pitch sound would be either the tranny or power steering. What exactly? I cant say. Transmission whine is normal to some extent, so is power steering squeal. If this is a "new" phenomena for your SUV then get a service adviser from NISSAN to hop in the car with you. They may know what it is right off the bat.

Jeff

Off subject but I am from Southeastern Wisconsin.....

Remember those Winter Days well. Classmate who still lives there said he has almost 2 feet of ice and snow in the back yard and there have been several nights below zero there.

That and the cost of living was the main reason we retired here in Southeast Alabama.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Did the noise just start when the weather got very cold?

I'd say it started when the weather started getting cooler in the late fall. It's been happening for a while, so I can't pinpoint exactly when it began and what the weather was like. Sorry..I'm not helpful at all!

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Just because the pitch changes with RPM doesn't mean its isolated to just the engine. Transmission, power steering also change with RPM.

My first thought of high pitch sound would be either the tranny or power steering. What exactly? I cant say. Transmission whine is normal to some extent, so is power steering squeal. If this is a "new" phenomena for your SUV then get a service adviser from NISSAN to hop in the car with you. They may know what it is right off the bat.

Jeff

I'm not a tranny expert so this may be a half baked idea - but if the whine persisted when it's in neutral would that be a way to try and eliminate the transmission? I could try that, if it would be valueable.

My local NISSAN dealerr won't do hop in's - so I have to schedule an appointment. I may need to do that, but need to find a time in my work schedule to do so.

If the whine does not change when you turn the steering wheel, that may also point to the automatic transmission instead of power steering. And if the noise has been coming on for a few months, maybe it is the automatic transmission. Have you checked the fluid level?

It could also be the idler and tensioner pulleys whining from the cold. Mine does it every time I start it when the ambient air temp is below -15C. When they warm up, they are quiet.

in my experience most whining noises are from rubber to rubber or rubber to plastic contact. not metal to metal...idk if that helps.

I have one of those trucks hence I troll the Frontier message boards. The death noise (worn TC guides) sounds like the whine from a supercharger.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
I have one of those trucks hence I troll the Frontier message boards. The death noise (worn TC guides) sounds like the whine from a supercharger.

I second this.
Could very well be worn timing chain guides. I want to believe most 08 ,and later trucks had this problem corrected , but there are still some out there.

How many miles on yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back