Mercedes 500SL - Redline 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is a report of a sample taken from my 500SL. This car is a 1991 and has been in the family since new. It only has 54K miles and only gets driven about 2K a year. This oil has been in the car for 14 months, and I was concerned because I spoke to Dave at Redline and he said to change it after a year. At $11 a quart and a capacity of 8.5 quarts, I have decided that after this one run with Redline to go back to Mobil 1 0W-40 and change it every other year.

2014_01_03_19_43_30_zps333a5b9b.jpg

IMG_1981_2_zps1bf0c017.jpg

Hi,
Nyati - A great report on a great car. I would not concern myself about the Copper comments

My first Benz was a 230SL in 1970 - it was the first of about 7 as well as about 6 Benz Company cars too

Very nice and clean classic roaster, it was the best looking convertible in the early 90's.

I love that style AMG wheels with/without chrome.

I think M1 0W40 in 5-qt jug at WM for $25 is the best oil for money in any MB engine, AMG included.

Good plan of switching to M1 0w40 and changing every other year. The residual moly will work well with the fresh M1 too I bet.

Does the car have an oil cooler? If so everything looks about perfect.

Even after 14 months 2000 miles, any oil would test good in a decent engine. I have run dino for two years and 3500 miles several times. Every time I had it checked by Milestone they said I could go longer.At $11.00 per quart and such a large capacity, seems to me to be a waste of oil not going two years with that fill.

Way, way overkill, IMHO. You could use any modern 10W-40 (for two years @ 2K miles per year in Dixieland) and save a lot of dough. If you really wanted to $plurge buy a couple gallons (per oil change) of the NAPA 15W-40 HDEO on sale now for $9.99. Your '91 should only last a couple decades more: our 1991 420SEL has 220+K on the original top & bottom end and is running very strong.

Cheers!

p.s. What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Do you always run premium?

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

My first Benz was a 230SL in 1970 - it was the first of about 7 as well as about 6 Benz Company cars too

I love those Pagoda roof SLs. My neighbor had a 250SL with a manual shift. silver w/blue interior. He had it (along with 3 or 4 S class diesels) for years. He retired and sold them all. I wish I would have known he wanted to sell them - I would have bought the 250SL in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Does the car have an oil cooler? If so everything looks about perfect.

Yes, and it's almost a big as the radiator. It's built like a tank.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
No concerns about the Potassium and Sodium?

None at all. This car will outlast me.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt

p.s. What kind of gas mileage are you getting? Do you always run premium?

I've never checked the gas mileage. I'd say about 10-12mpg though. Hard to stay off the pedal - nice to hear the sound of those 4 cams and 32 valves
smile.gif
Yes, I always run Premium non-ethanol gas.

The sodium could be either additives or residual additives from a previous Ashland product and the potassium is very low that could be a single drop that spilled somehow into the system. It's a good reason to monitor the next fill with a UOA for coolant though.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Very nice car, looks like you take good care of her.

Thank you. It's my wife's baby - I rarely get to drive it.

Nice R129, I wouldn't worry about it to much the M119 is built like a tank. I don't think anyone has ever managed to wear one out, I know their are a couple out their with well north of 600k on them.

Keep up on the fluids and exercise the top so the cylinders don't leak and it will last just about forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back