Not open for further replies.
'09 Nissan Sentra
No Make-up oil
15k on oil
100,000 on engine
K&N Oil Filter
MPT Industries (30k Formula)

Blackstone Comments:

Wear metals read pretty high here. This is the third 15,000-mile interval that we've seen, so we're a
little surprised that metals changed so dramatically. Lead is our main concern since it has
changed so dramatically. This is only the second time we've seen this oil & the additives look a little different
than last time. We're not sure if they've been damaged or if these readings are its correct formulation. Watch
for falling oil pressure. Check back in 8,000 miles.

MANGANESE-1
ALUMINUM-8
CHROMIUM-1
IRON-22
COPPER-6
LEAD-16
TIN-2
MOLYBDENUM-686
NICKEL-0
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-3
BORON-16
SILICON-47
SODIUM-8
CALCIUM-2956
MAGNESIUM-13
PHOSPHORUS-1117
ZINC-927
BARIUM-0

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C-13.63
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F-72.66
Flashpoint in °F-430
Fuel %-.05
Antifreeze %-0.0
Insolubles-0.03
TBN- 0.4

Yikes. Car still runs great, burns no oil, gets 30+ MPG.

I've seen analyses with higher lead, but this car never had a reading of more than 1. I'm sure at some point, it had a fuel system cleaner run through it, so I'm not sure if that affected anything. TBN of 0.4? Ouch.

Refilled with Pennzoil Ultra, Purolator filter, and will stick to a few 10k intervals. The other 15K intervals were with Pennzoil Ultra, Amsoil SSO, and Castrol Edge with Titanium, none of them ended up with a TBN of less than 1.4.

Last edited:
Lead is probably from bearings. I suggest reducing the interval to 10k if you're going to use this oil. I assume you did not get the TAN measured. What's the virgin TBN?

I believe the virgin TBN is in the 11-12 range. I will not be using this oil again, believe that.

Last edited:
I doubt it's a bearing. The Copper wasn't high. A bearing failure would show both Copper and Lead high.

I think MPT calls the oil 30K because it's supposed to go 30,000 miles. The TBN reading doesn't support that.

The oil is supposed to be a 30-weight, but its KV100 is solidly in the 40-weight range. It would have been nice to have Oxidation readings of virgin and used.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but if you're doing 15k intervals, wouldn't Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 be an ideal candidate?

You ran this oil way too long as indicated by the heavy oxidative thickening and depleted TBN.
Also you chose the wrong grade to run as this is really a 40 grade oil with it's HTHSV of 3.9cP which is why it's recommended by them for Bimmers.
Their 0W-30 would have been a better choice but still heavier than necessary with a HTHSV of 3.5cP.
The best choice for your Sentra would have been their 0W-20 and although they haven't provided the HTHSV value it's undoubtedly around 3.0-3.1cP if not higher, much the same as the PU 5W-30 you're running now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back