Amsoil DEO 5w40, 8K, 04 Dodge 2500HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owner previously maintained 5k mile OCI using Valvoline Premium Blue. Will suggest he run the 10K on this fill as indicated by Blackstone, and then push him to switch over to AME.

Make/Model: Cummins ISB 5.9L
Vehicle: 2004 Dodge 2500HD

Code:

OIL DEO 5w40

MILES IN USE 8K

MILES ON UNIT 178,400

SAMPLE TAKEN 12/3/13

MAKE UP OIL 0

ALUMINUM 3

CHROMIUM 2

IRON 44

COPPER 4

LEAD 1

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 41

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 3

TITANIUM 4

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 29

SILICON 4

SODIUM 6

CALCIUM 900

MAGNESIUM 1232

PHOSPHORUS 1091

ZINC 1222

BARIUM 0

SUS @ 210F 81.2

Visc @ 100C 15.83

Flashpoint 450

Fuel % 0.5

Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.4

Blackstone comments:
A mildly high viscosity was the only unusual find in this sample. It's still close to the 15W/40 range, and we're guessing the only reason it's up is that you used a little Lucas or something like that. Heat on the oil can cause the viscosity to thicken up, though we aren't seeing any of the other typical signs of heat (damage to the additives or lots of insolubles). And wear looks good. You're running your oil longer than average, and that's why wear is higher than average. The averages are based on ~6,700 miles on the oil. We'd change this fill at 10K.

That Fe seems high for the 8k miles. It's not at a point of condemnation, but it's high. One UOA is not worthy of any decisions yet. Run a couple more and see if the Fe is typical or an anomaly.

Do you have any UOA history under the VPB? Would be interesting to see how it ran with the other lube.

Donald, I'm not too worried about the TBN at 10K with this oil. Much more and I would agree with you.

dnewton, this was his first and only UOA on the truck. I agree, wish I had a little more background on the Fe. Hopefully I can get him to run a few more and see improvements in the metals and get the viscosity back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back