Perpetuating the cold idle myths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see that the so-called "experts" are perpetuating the stupid myth of letting a car warm up for several minutes before driving off.

Most cars are equipped with all-season tires, but even those can become stiff and less pliable when they are extremely cold, providing less traction, said Joe Henmueller, director of the Arlington Heights-based Automotive Maintenance and Repair Association. Drivers should make sure the tires are properly inflated, he said.

The cold also renders many vital fluids — oil, steering, and transmission fluid — more viscous, which means that they provide less lubrication until the car has warmed up. Motorists should let their cars idle for two or three minutes before driving them, and should drive slowly for 10 or 15 minutes to allow the fluids to reach the correct operating temperatures.

“You should never just drive off,” Henmueller said.

Source:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-lateweekend-cold-front-may-push-temps-below-zero-for-2-days-20140102,0,7075120.story?page=2

Yea, I'm just going to keep driving off right away like I always have. The engine in my van especially warms up so slow when idling. Even waiting 2-3 minutes like this guy suggests, still leaves fluids very cold and thick. Driving sensibly is the quickest way to get everything safely warmed up, minimizes fuel loss, fuel dilution, etc.

2-3 minutes is too much.

I always warm up my car 30secs to a 1 minute. It just runs smoother and quieter than driving it immediately after turning on.

I agree with the drive slowly for 10 or 15 minutes part... Or at least, say, 5, before you have to do a heavy throttle acceleration someplace. There's no way that everything is truly fit together properly before that.

But idling that long? No way.

Kind of a polar opposite, but still annoying, are a few people who live near me that rev the snot out of their cars immediately upon cold starting them in the winter... like are you trying to grenade your engine?
09.gif
neither car has trouble keeping idle steady, and the one for sure seems well-maintained. I have no idea as to why they do this, and I dont care either, but it does make you wonder what has been done to used cars you've owned.

The only time I take longer than driving-off-immediately, is if I have to clear off A LOT of ice. If it's just snow, I'll shovel myself out, clear off the snow, and THEN start my car and drive off. If there's ice or the possibility of fogging, then, and only then, will I start and idle while I clear thing up.

I remember some years ago dad had a car that had a "cold" lighted indicator. It was green. He would wait till the green cold light went out before dropping into drive to go. Can't remember, but want to say it was an Impala.

Sitting idling on a cold morning sure seem to take a long time to warm up. I think (without checking) the book on my daily drive suggest something like 20 seconds, longer on coldest mornings, then drive to warm it up faster. Getting the cat to warm up faster also reduces emissions. Like more priority toward emissions, less everything else.

On a cold morning, any morning, probably takes me maybe up to 2 minutes idling before I'm ready to drop in gear to go - open gate, gps, cell, radar, radio, coffee, re-adjust myself, then try to take it easy first few miles.

I do let my Jeep warm up when its really cold out. As in 10F or below. Maybe a few minutes. The Jeep makes some odd noises running when its that cold out. The odd noises go away in a few minutes.

In some cases its me that does not want to be cold. So I am inside dealing with the dogs and their "treats" while the Jeep warms up.

The hydraulic fluid in a Bobcat needs to warm up before you do any serious work. That could take 15 minutes of moving the machine slowly.

On many newer cars you can hear the idle drop whe the o2 heater gets to temp. For me, that's a good indication of when to drive off, and seems to be a 10-20 second time window even down to single digit temps. It's about long enough to buckle a seatbelt, check mirrors, and set a radio. So that's usually my target.

I agree if there's chance for ice, I'll run it longer while making a attempt to clear. However, if it's just cold, I'll just start as described.

I do kind of wish that all cars had a block heater standard (at least in most regions), as that could be useful and likely cheaper/cleaner than idling to do the job.

-27 celsius today and did 35 mins of city driving and car never got to midpoint on temp gauge..lol. in this cold i let it run 3-4 mins..when started it idles at 2500rpm so i drop it to drive with handbreak to get it to 1500rpm and give it a bit of time. Usually I drive slow to warm it up..but in this extreme cold i prefer to let it run a few mins. Above -5 or so it gets 30 seconds or so.

I didn't start this thread to debate the issue, but rather to vent/rant about how an organization claiming to be experts in car maintenance is giving incorrect information to people.

How is letting a car warm up a little incorrect? Granted, 3 minutes is a bit much. I let mine warm up till the idle drops somewhat. I am not putting my car in gear with the engine doing 1500 rpm, sorry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Errtt
I remember some years ago dad had a car that had a "cold" lighted indicator. It was green. He would wait till the green cold light went out before dropping into drive to go. Can't remember, but want to say it was an Impala.

My Dad had a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 in the early 70s and it had a cold light as well (it was blue). He would let it idle until the light went out and then would drive away. It had a 352 FE engine in it that lasted about 275K before it gave out; not too shabby considering the quality of oil + carburetors of the day.

"you should never just drive off," is Wrong. THAT is the OP's and my point of contention...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: johnachak
How is letting a car warm up a little incorrect? Granted, 3 minutes is a bit much. I let mine warm up till the idle drops somewhat. I am not putting my car in gear with the engine doing 1500 rpm, sorry.

They're giving people the impression that you should just go start the car and let it sit in your garage or parking space for a while before you actually leave the house. That is wrong.

Well, it might saved an abused car maybe...but it's not like most people care anyways...my neighbor drives the snot out of his regardless of weather...

I can't see a big issue with a little idling, besides the waste of gas it is....I remember when I first started driving I would let it idle for a few minutes...but then I learned...

Mine both get like 30sec-minute tops (depends on what I'm doing), unless I have to clean off ice or snow, then it would be a little longer. Wife's car is a bit longer when we load the family in. The one thing I do though is drive it easy for the first few miles, then I drive like normal...

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: johnachak

They're giving people the impression that you should just go start the car and let it sit in your garage or parking space for a while before you actually leave the house. That is wrong.

Yep, nice easy car to steal...and it's ready to go! Sometimes with coffee included.....

A a serious note, I do agree..
smile.gif

i always give my cars 30 secs even in the summer. if its below 10F i will let it run 2-3 mins. when my oil temp guage says 5f there is no way im going to just drive off after 20 seconds. Try pouring a clear cup full of the oil you use in your car and put it in your freezer at 2f all night. you will see how thick it is at those temps.

i did this the other day with a half qt of QSUD 5w30 dexos and it was pretty darn thick at 2f. ill let my car run until the oil temp gets to at least 30f before i drive it off easy until the oil temp is at at least 150f.

Start car, put on seatbelt and drive off sensibly.

Biggest thing I have problems is people starting with their foot on the clutch...I hate the idea of stationary thrust bearings starting loaded (millions of Jeeps don't seem to have a problem with the oil film left on them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back