Internal Bypass Filter for Traditional Pontiac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '76 TA with a '70 RAIII motor in it. Part of the buildup was a remote filter eliminating the filter mount on the block. I need to use a filter with an internal bypass. I had a WIX years ago but can't find them in Canada now and I don't have the p/n anymore to try to x-reference.

Can anyone suggest a good, internal bypass filter that I can use? I'd like something about the size of a PF35 or even the old Fram PH373 extra capacity truck filter.

Thanx, Stewart

What filter is currently on the remote mount? Did the PF35 and PH373 filter fit your mount? If you have a number, you can enter it into the cross reference feature at the Wix or Baldwin websites and get the mating information (threads and gasket size). From there you can loiter at either website and find an oversize version of Wix or Baldwin (their website info also indicates if a bypass valve is present and its psi setting). Also, most bypass valves, if one is present, can clearly be verified by looking through the outlet hole (the big hole) of the filter base.

right now is the best time for the year for this and that's go to a NAPA parts store and ask them for last years copy of their filter book. They usally have extra's and are throwing away the old one's. They have ALL the info you would need looking up sizes, lenths, diameters, thread sizes, bypass pressures, etc. plus all the cross references and the real nice thing is that NAPA,WIX and CARPARTS filters all use the same last 4digit part ## with a different one or two digit lead in ##. I take it the Pontiac has had the internal block bypass plugged and if not it should be for the filter bypass is a better deal. The aftermarket remote mounts that I have had have always used the FORD filter w 3/4 theads. The WIX,NAPA,CARPART and Motocraft filter would be the ones with the theaded end bypass valves. The motocraft having been made by puolator using the purone element but with the theaded end bypass like WIX is only $2.77 ea at Walmart for the 1qt sized FL-1A(the size almost all cars used before they downsized them all)the NAPA#1515 WIX#51515. Used to live and breath only PONTIAC!!! use to have it all years ago, 455 4bolt mains/factory alum intake/RAIV heads/SD heads/ and even a doug nash tunnal ram for duel quads. 65/70 GTOs(owned the same 70 twice) good memories that just cost too much today but it's still fun to look at. (GEO Metros/Swifts these days, just bidding the time till retirement)

Thanx guys. All the info a guy could hope for. Currently there is a PH373 on the remote mount but it was installed back when I thought Fram was a good filter. Too many years ago to think about. Fortunately it has not been driven much at all so no harm was done.

The bypass in the stock, block mounted filter mount was plugged but it has been replaced with a bolt on plate that the lines screw into. A much more sane and good looking setup.

Being a diehard GM man I'm not sure if I could install a FURD filter on one of the beasts.
shocked.gif
I'd be afraid it might reject it at an inopportune moment.
wink.gif

Thanx again, Stewart

Crossing the FRAM PH373 to WIX, Hastings, Purolator and Baldwin, shows NONE of them having a bypass OR anti drainback valve.
That would make me suspect about the FRAM having one either!
I wouldn't ASSUME every AM SDF filter had the valve without verification.

IF it were me, I think I'd change the remote filter mount to accept a more common 3/4"X16 filter instead of the 13/16" you currently have. It should make filter selection much easier.
Then you could use a MOPAR filter (G).

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Kapaun:
IF it were me, I think I'd change the remote filter mount to accept a more common 3/4"X16 filter instead of the 13/16" you currently have. It should make filter selection much easier.

Bill:

You read my mind. None of the GM 13/16 mount filters that I've found have an internal bypass. I think I will change the mount to a 3/4" and be done with it. Then I have a variety of possibilities.

Stewart

Most Amsoil SDF oil filters have an Oil Pressure Relief Valve. If you use the PF35, the Amsoil filter would be the SDF24.

Canadian Tires sells Amsoil produts but not sure if they handle the oil filters.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Most Amsoil SDF oil filters have an Oil Pressure Relief Valve. If you use the PF35, the Amsoil filter would be the SDF24.

Canadian Tires sells Amsoil produts but not sure if they handle the oil filters.

Thanx Mike. I've never seen the Amsoil filters at CT but I can check.

Stewart

quote:

Originally posted by Oldswagon:
According to Baldwin's website, the B1441 is a B1428 (PF1218) with a 14 PSI internal bypass and an ADBV. This filter is used on the Duramax 6.6L V8 diesel engines. If you adaptor calls for a PF35, then this filter will work in it's place (same 13/16"-16 threads and gasket size). I am not sure what the stock bypass pressure was on the Pontiac V8's, so I am not sure if the 14 PSI is too high for this engine.

The B1441 cross references to:

AC Delco: PF2232
Fleetguard: LF16102
Purolator: L35399
Wix: 57202

Thanx OLDSWAGON. The adaptor will take a PF35 so this one should fit.

I'm not sure what pressure the stock bypass in the mount is set at. Does anyone have an idea?

Can we get Baldwin filters in Canada? I'm unfamiliar with them and don't ever remember seeing the name at all.

Stewart

Murf'sDad & Gudmund: Way off-topic here, but did you ever notice that the stunt coordinator for the sister movies "The French Connection" and "The Seven-Ups" had a potent Pontiac fetish? (7-Ups was a "New York cop versus the bad guys" follow-up to French Conn, possibly with the same studio and/or director, I believe.) They trashed a good number of LeMans, Bonnevilles, and Venturas in some of the most famous chase scenes ever filmed.

Some wild trivia on the impressive "French Conn" car chase: It was done without city permits, the smash-ups were NOT planned, the startled civilians are exactly that (not crew members), and Gene Hackman drove in some of the stunt sequences. The director has since publicly acknowledged that he was highly irresponsible in doing so. Truth is stranger than fiction!

Just an opinion here, but I don't think the 14-15 PSI bypass pressurte should be any problem.
The only time the filter goes into bypass mode is if it's clogged or the oil is too thick (cold) to flow through the media.
If you have 25 PSI or more oil pressure under any condition (hot or cold), the pump should be able to force either bypass valve open without problem.
The higher bypass pressure might even be considered desireable!
It appears to me (so far anyway) that the engines equipped with higher bypass pressure filters TEND to be the higher performance engines.

TC I remember both of those movies and LOVED them along with 'MCQ' with John Wayne filmed in Seattle in 73 with the SD455 firebird only something like 673 of them ever made and they trashed it!!!! It ended up at one of the local yards here with the crank totally broke away from the block(I wanted to cry!) after the two semi's compacked it in the backalley. Also 'I dream of Jennie' being sponsered by Pontiac with the 66/67 GTO's always in the drive and of course 'Two Laned Blacktop' with Warren Oates/beach boy Dennis Wilson/James Taylor- Of course I was pulling for the GTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Baldwin's website, the B1441 is a B1428 (PF1218) with a 14 PSI internal bypass and an ADBV. This filter is used on the Duramax 6.6L V8 diesel engines. If you adaptor calls for a PF35, then this filter will work in it's place (same 13/16"-16 threads and gasket size). I am not sure what the stock bypass pressure was on the Pontiac V8's, so I am not sure if the 14 PSI is too high for this engine.

The B1441 cross references to:

AC Delco: PF2232
Fleetguard: LF16102
Purolator: L35399
Wix: 57202

I'm old enough to remember all of the movies mentioned. I didn't think that the McQ 'Bird was a SD though. I was of the impression that it was an HO. I'll have to dig out my tape and re-watch it. The Seven-Ups with Roy Scheider was great. If I didn't already love early 2nd Gen TA and Formulas that would have done it.

Bill: I think you are correct about the bypass pressure. But it is 15# not 14#. Picky, Picky, huh? If I can find this filter I'll give it a try. My TA runs 10w40 or 20w50 and it will only be good weather driven so cold oil shouldn't be a problem. A friend had a '67 Ferrari and he couldn't open it up until the oil was up to temp and it took about 50 miles of easy highway cruising to make sure it was truly safe to punch it.

Stewart

You'll find the bypass pressure rating to vary slightly depending on which brand you use. Wix lists 14 PSI for their version.

10W-40! Egads!!!!
Time to head over to the motor oil forum!

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Kapaun:
You'll find the bypass pressure rating to vary slightly depending on which brand you use. Wix lists 14 PSI for their version.

10W-40! Egads!!!!
Time to head over to the motor oil forum!

Bill, remember that this is an "old tech" engine that hasn't been run for years. The last time it was run there was no synthetic and 10w40 was the ticket for HiPo engines.

Stewart

quote:

Originally posted by Murf'sDad:
Thanx OLDSWAGON. The adaptor will take a PF35 so this one should fit.

I'm not sure what pressure the stock bypass in the mount is set at. Does anyone have an idea?

Can we get Baldwin filters in Canada? I'm unfamiliar with them and don't ever remember seeing the name at all.

Stewart

Stewart:

Baldwin filters are avaiable in Canada, but are a little trickier to find. Check at some of the large truck parts stores in your area. Locally, I can get mine from a Peterbuilt dealer or Acklands. Baldwins are excellent filters, with top notch construction, as well as good flow and filtration.

You should also be able to get an AC Delco from the dealer with ease, since they will stock this fitler for Durmax trucks.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
The SDF-24 does have a by-pass valve, with a PSID (pounds per square inch differential) of 7-9.

Mike:

How do you know the SDF-24 has a bypass valve in it? This filter cross references to a PF-35, which does not use a bypass valve. Why would Amsoil put a bypass valve in a filter that shouldn't have it?

All the Canadian tires I have been to lately do not stock Amsoil filters. The filter selection is always limited to Fram clones (Motomaster, Quakerstate), and the super expensive K&N.

Still off-topic here, but I gotta give Mopars some equal time here...

I really, really like the Pontiac movie chases above, but I gotta give my vote to the Mopar Madness in The Blues Brothers, one of my favorite flicks. They went through 13 BluesMobiles for the movie, former California Highway Patrol rides. In the Wacker Drive scene, they actually drove 120 mph under the downtown subway track, but the footage looked fake and speeded up. So they refilmed it with stunt "pedestrians" in the background to provide a visual scale for the 120 mph speeds. Then they drove cars through the lobby windows of the marble-floored Daily Plaza gov't building, plus trashed the inside of a vacant shopping mall, etc, etc, etc. Love that movie!!!

THE MOVIE WAS FILMED IN SEATTLE IN 73 AND I SAW THE WRECKED TA AT FITZ AUTO WRECKING (WOODINVILLE-WASH.) LATE IN THE SUMMER OF 73 JUST BEFORE I LEFT FOR BASIC TRAINING(SEPT). DID NOT AT THE TIME EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE MOVIE YET FOR IT WAS NOT RELEASEED UNTIL 74. WE DID KNOW JOHN WAYNE WAS IN THE AREA THAT SUMMER FOR HE HAD BEEN SEEN ON HIS BOAT OUT BY SQUIEM,WASH. WHERE HE KEPT THE BOAT(OLD MINE SWEAPER FROM WWII) OFF AND ON OVER THE YEARS(THE MARINA TODAY IS NAMED FOR HIM) HE WAS ALSO SEEN LOCALLY IN OTHER PLACES. THE TA IN THE YARD WAS A 73 WITH LESS THAN A FEW THOU MILES ON IT AND WAS A SD455, REALIZED IT WAS THE CAR WHEN I SAW THE MOVIE AFTER SEEING HOW THEY "TRASH COMPACKED IT" WITH THE SEMI'S IN THE ALLEY, HAD ALSO BEEN TOLD BY A FRIEND WORKING AT THE YARD(JUALIUS AND HE STILL WORKS THERE TODAY 30+ YEARS LATER) THAT THE CAR HAD BEEN WRECKED IN SOME MOVIE BEING FILMED BUT DIDN'T KNOW ANYMORE AT THE TIME ABOUT IT, JUST THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE SEEN IN SOME MOVIE IS ALL THEY HAD BEEN TOLD WHEN IT CAME IN FOR SALVAGE. MAYBE IT WAS, MAYBE IT WASN'T, BUT I SAW WHAT I SAW IN 73 AND WILL STAND BY IT FOR WHAT LITTLE IT MEANS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back