Detroit Series 60 and Schaeffer 700 15w40 blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, here is my first UOA on Schaeffer 700 15w40 syn blend I just started using in my Detroit Series 60. 200008 miles on the engine, 13733 miles on the oil. Was previously using a Delo 5w40.

Iron 13
Chromium 1
Lead 2
Copper 1
Tin 1
Aluminum 1
Silicon 2

Boron 17
Sodium 15
Potassium 2
Magnesium 885
Calcium 1161
Phosphorus 1104
Zinc 1429
Molybdenum 46

Vis 100c cSt 13.34

TBN 6.12

Water 0
glycol N
Soot .46

Oxidation 13
Nitration 6

Well, I bought a 30 gallon drum the first go around to see how it would work out. I am on the second fill of it now and just got the report from the first fill. I just put in another order for another drum. The Delo was breaking down bad. In the same time frame on oil, the viscosity on the Delo was tanking pretty bad. I was getting a lot of things going on we couldn't trace as the problem. So, decided to make a switch. This came out pretty good for the first go around. Now, will have to see how it trends.

Hi,
TiredTrucker - this seems to be a reasonable report for the mileage. For comparison please find the averages (over some millions of kms) for my vehicles all with the same engine family:

AVERAGES (all engines) at Avge OC point of 90051 kms (55955 miles)

Soot = 3.23%
Iron = 130 ppm
Alum = 3 ppm
Chro = 12 ppm
Cop = 7 ppm
Lead = 36 ppm
Sil = 33 ppm
Sod = 14 ppm

Vis @40C = 86
TBN = 2.64 (D4739)
TAN = 6.67

The lubricant was Delvac 1 5W-40 and a Mann-Hummel (Spinner) centrifuge and SS FF filter inserts were used

This may give you a chance to compare uptake rates in your case

My OCI limits were based on:
Iron @ 150 ppm
Soot @ 3.50%
TBN @ 1
TAN @ 8
or any other out of balance situation (which never occurred)

I hope this is of interest

Well, next UOA on the Schaeffer and the Detroit 60. 15040 miles on the oil, with 215048 miles on the engine.

Iron 17
Chrome 1
Lead 2
Copper 1
Tin 1
Aluminum 1
Nickel 0

Silicon 2

Calcium 1194
Phosph 1216
Zinc 1437
Moly 51

Visc 13.65

TBN 7.31

Soot 0

No fuel, water, glycol detected.

Not bad. Will start extending drains a little at a time now that I have a couple of samples to see results.

Schaeffer's current formula uses "Next Generation" Moly which will stay plated longer than the previous version. Bottom line is that it is better.Gauging on a ppm bases is not comparing apples to apples.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Schaeffer's current formula uses "Next Generation" Moly which will stay plated longer than the previous version. Bottom line is that it is better.Gauging on a ppm bases is not comparing apples to apples.

Is this the much lauded "tri-nuclear" moly that Mobil has been using?

I am not sure what Mobil uses, though I highly doubt that they are using the same layered structure chemistry that creates a lower coefficient of friction that Schaeffers uses.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
I am not sure what Mobil uses, though I highly doubt that they are using the same layered structure chemistry that creates a lower coefficient of friction that Schaeffers uses.

IIRC Molakule spoke about it a while back, I believe it was an Infineum product (so XOM/SOPUS) that is essentially a far more effective form of Moly, so less of it is required to achieve the same benefit.

Just curious if it was the same stuff, not delving into other aspects of the formulation
smile.gif

Check out the normalcy article for macro data on the D60 ...

Looks like your sample is below averages; very good performance! Easy to extend those OCIs if that's indicative of the lube abilities.

Last edited:
I am going to take the next change to 20,000 miles from my normal 15,000 now that I have two oil changes on the Schaeffer and have a nice base line. Will be chomping at the bit to see what that sample shows. Got a bypass unit on the engine and running dual Donaldson ELF 3998 full flow filters. Should be a good combination to get more time between changes.

All in all, I am very pleased how this factory rebuilt Series 60 is performing. Detroit did a great job remanning the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back