2004 Lincoln Navigator Spark Plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 79k km on my navigator or 49k miles of pretty hard city driving. Should i be looking at changing my spark plugs? They are still the same ones from the factory.

Sure why not. I am assuming you have the DOHC engine, so they aren't that difficult. Make sure you use Motorcraft plugs, it should take SP-493, some places might list it under the old number AGSF-32P-M.

They might be in need of replacement, I am not sure. Some OEM platinum plugs go over 100,000 miles, some don't even go 60,000 miles. If your engine uses coil on plug ignition, buy new ignition coil boots at the same time.

Also, be sure to use a torque wrench, as some Ford V8 engines will blow out plugs if you don't use a properly set torque wrench.

5.4 Tritons I would change out at 40K miles.Just to make sure they dont break coming out and replace with 1 piece Champions,not the 2 piece Autolite/Motorcraft twins.

That's only on the 3 valve 5.4. I don't think the expedition/ navigator got the 3 valve until 2005. I would not recommend a champion plug in a Ford. I've never had good luck with that combination.

It has the 4 valve in the Navigator and it is a one piece plug, not the 2 piece that breaks in the expedition and f-150. I wouldn't bother changing the plugs until you start getting misfire codes, and you will soon... The ignition coils on these things go bad frequently. When you do replace all the ignition coils and the plugs with motorcraft parts. I used the accel coils (being cheap) and they didn't last 6 months on my friends 2003 Navigator.

Well I may have spoke to soon.. My friend has a 2003 and that has the 32 valve engine. Hey may have the 2 piece plug..

Last edited:
I use Champion or NGK plugs in all th fords and Standard Motoro products coils and have for years with perect results. Changing plugs in fords is never a bad idea.

Last edited:
The four valve engine has the one piece the 3v engine has the 2 piece. I have the dohc 4v i am almost 100% certain i have the 1 piece.

This brings us back to the whole coils only need to be replaced when they break down debate. I love doing preventive maintenance that is why I am on this site. I would rather spend that money on a diff flush or something that is more likely to need replacement again this car has only 79k Km on it.

Originally Posted By: rw19
This brings us back to the whole coils only need to be replaced when they break down debate. I love doing preventive maintenance that is why I am on this site. I would rather spend that money on a diff flush or something that is more likely to need replacement again this car has only 79k Km on it.

I would only do the coils if there are misfire codes present. You can get the boots by themselves, I would look at doing all of them if any of them looks swollen at all. That being said, if any of the boots do look grody, you should probably do the valve cover gaskets, spark plug tube seals, and coil cover gaskets.

When I did the intake on my mom's Grand Marquis, I did all the coils because I work for a Ford parts dept so I get them cheapish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back