SuperTech Grease Question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a quick question about SuperTechs Multi Duty High Temp Grease. I just rebuilt a 1950 GMC 3 speed manual transmission, and during the assembly I used a little bit of SuperTech's Grease (bought at Walmart) on the synchronizers. Mainly just because I didn't want to put the synchro rings in dry, and I had some of that grease on my bench. My question is, will this grease ruin the soft metal synchronizers (I believe they are brass)? I didn't think of that while I was putting in on there, but after reading a few post online about modern greases containing sulfur, which will harm the synchros, I got a little worried.

Is this grease ok on the brass synchros? It will probably be on there for a few months until I put the entire driveline back together and fill the tranny with gear oil. Should I tear it back apart and wipe that stuff off?

Also, would you recommend Penzzoil's Synchromesh GL4 gear lube, or is there a better GL4 lube you would recommend? I know other's recommend Red Line's GL4 lube. Which is better?

Any info you could provide me would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Jake

Too much sulfur can be corrosive to yellow metals but I don't know if it needs heat or pressure as a catalyst? I'm not a chemist..
Can you find the MSDS for the product? that should tell you wether you need to wash it off or not - personally, I'd find out what was in there and if it wasn't going to react with anything in the gearbox I'd leave it. Doing a couple of flush and fills after the box is back in use might be a good idea too
smile.gif

Last edited:
I have searched and searched for the MSDS, but to no avail. I couldn't even find out who actually manufactures SuperTech's products. All the other greases that I have found msds's for do not contain sulfur, so I am hoping that this one does not either. I will keep searching, but hopefully someone on the forum has had experience with this stuff.

Thanks again,
Jake

Play it safe if you can't find the MSDS - brake cleaner all the grease off, go over it again to make sure you got all of it, then fill the box with the correct fluid.

You'd kick yourself really hard if all that hard work on the rebuild went down the pan due to corrosive grease..

Finally found the msds on Super Tech Grease. Of all places, on the Walmart website. For some reason my iPhone was not pulling up the sheets, but I could on my PC.

Either way, here are the results:
III. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Name % CAS # OSHA Exposure Limits
Petroleum distillates, solvent-refined heavy paraffinic 90 - 99 64741-88-4 No PEL
Octadecanoic Acid, 12-Hydroxy-, Monolithium Salt 1 - 5 7620-77-1 No PEL
Components not listed are not physical or health hazards as defined in 29 CFR 1910.1200 (Hazard Communication Standard).

I don't see Sulfur listed in there, so I think I am good to go.

Jake

The sulfur EP additives are corrosive at high temperatures and pressures, and the surface degradation occurs with extended use. A little cold grease on the synchronizers isn't going to be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back