K&N Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am the tech director at FRAM Filtration. Until recently, K+N oil filters were made in our Albion, IL factory. They have transferred production to a Korean company and are no longer made in USA or made by FRAM or Champion Labs. The filter efficiency has been reduced from the mid 90's% range down to mid 80 percent range in our testing. They no have lower efficiency, lower capacity and a lower cost that they are not passing along to end users. Not trying to sound like sour grapes that we lost this customer but they are not making the filter as good as it used to be.

Jay - don't let 'em mess with the Ultra.
smile.gif

Thanks, the 2 I have were made in the USA. My question is for longer OCI intervals, 8500-10000 miles would the K&N or Mobil 1 oil filter be better or are they the same inside and it doesn't matter.

Thanks

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
IMO, either would be fine for 8.5-10K in most engines.

Thanks, I'm currently running the Motorcraft FL820S in my wife's 4.6 Exploder to what ever the mileage will be in late October. I'm assuming around ~7500-8,500 miles with Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, SM. The SUV was bought new and well cared for. The last oil change of PP 5W-20 at ~8500 miles with a Pure 1 came out dark tan, all her oil changes have. She does mostly highway driving so her next OCI will be PP 5W-20 and K&N oil filter for 10,000 miles. The 2005 Exploder has over 142,000 miles on it and runs great. Had the tranny fluid changed every 25000-30000 miles, mostly total exchanges.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
I am the tech director at FRAM Filtration. Until recently, K+N oil filters were made in our Albion, IL factory. They have transferred production to a Korean company and are no longer made in USA or made by FRAM or Champion Labs. The filter efficiency has been reduced from the mid 90's% range down to mid 80 percent range in our testing. They no have lower efficiency, lower capacity and a lower cost that they are not passing along to end users. Not trying to sound like sour grapes that we lost this customer but they are not making the filter as good as it used to be.

That enough info for me to personally quit using K&N.

Quote:
I just checked my airfilter tonight, Its a Purolator , made in China and I was horrified !!
I wonder if their oil filters are made there?m Purolator now owns Mann.. Now what? ....

Purolator cansister filters have been and still are made in the US. Otoh, the air filters are made in different countries including China and have been for awhile. Also, this is not unique to Purolator AF's, some Fram EG AF's are also made in China like the CA8911 as shown in this thread.

And fyi, Mann owns Purolator and had been a half owner for some time. Not vice versa.

One just needs to delve just a bit deeper to see why manufacturing shuts down in the USA & moves to Mexico or overseas.

The 2 main reasons are the EPA & all types of labor regulation. Just when you thought you had enough, here comes 'Obama Care'.

You can also throw some blame on our legal system. If you want to leave your head shaking read about the demise of the Blitz fuel can plant in OK. It shut down after 50 years.

Now back to oil.

Hello,

I understand the M1 filter was the same as K&N without the cap nut Does this also apply to M1??

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
One just needs to delve just a bit deeper to see why manufacturing shuts down in the USA & moves to Mexico or overseas.

The 2 main reasons are the EPA & all types of labor regulation. Just when you thought you had enough, here comes 'Obama Care'.

You can also throw some blame on our legal system. If you want to leave your head shaking read about the demise of the Blitz fuel can plant in OK. It shut down after 50 years.

Now back to oil.

+1000....

My understanding is that WIX makes all the NAPA-branded filters. The NAPA Gold is identical to WIX-branded filters, while the other lines are made to NAPA's spec.

Hello,

Just saw this post, good thing i still have the Made in the USA old stock filter on my Buick. I have a couple of Fram Ultra 3980s waiting in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back