Oil For 2014 Subaru Non-Turbo 2.5 Boxer Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be taking delivery on a 2014 Subaru Forester with 2.5 liter 4 cylinder boxer engine in about a month. Subaru specs 0W-20 oil. I was thinking of using Mazda 0W-20 High Moly oil since I already have a case. Is there anything in particular about the Subaru boxer style engine that would make a different oil a better choice?

If I had a case of Mazda 0W-20 High Moly I'd use it. I got some QSUD 0W-20 on sale a few months back and I'm going to be using it in a few weeks when I do my first change.

Watch for oil consumption.............

Notorious oil eaters, anything under 1 quart per 2000 miles is normal for Subaru.........look at the owners manual, carry extra oil.

I had read about high oil consumption. I read somewhere that Subaru re-engineered the rings on this engine 6 to 9 months ago. This model year they also added a low oil level light in addition to the low oil pressure light.

Fill her a half a quart to begin with.
smile.gif

Both of my Subarus used a little oil.

But only when driven hard.

They were both 04 models bought new so possibly not relavent.

Though not heard of the engines being modified recently.

Perhaps a US built engine issue.

Driven normally they used no oil

Not that much different to petrol engined VWs i have owned previously.

Probably put a litre in between oci during 4 years of ownership

I assume the dealer put in 5w30, though i usually paid extra for Mobil 1 so perhaps i got 0w40?

Must admit i didn't pay much attention back then as it was a new car with dealer service.

Congrats on the new Scoob

Use what you have on hand. First O.C. will be at 3750 miles, second O.C. will be at 7500 miles. With every subsequent O.C. thereafter at 7500 miles intervals. Congrats and enjoy your new purchase.

The Mazda oil is a top choice. You really can't go wrong with any of the major brand 0w20s out right now. Toyota and Pennzoil also come to mind when thinking of choices.

Good luck with your FB25 engine.

The infamous we fixed the rings, and by looking at your build date, you'll know has caused many people to be stressed.

Last Oil eating Subaru I'll ever buy.

You're buying a car that comes with a low oil light, because the FB25 engine eats oil, so sad.

I really hope you get one of the good ones, because it seems like not many people have much luck with SOA trying to get things fixed if you end up with an oil eater.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ColdCanuk
Good luck with your FB25 engine.

The infamous we fixed the rings, and by looking at your build date, you'll know has caused many people to be stressed.

Last Oil eating Subaru I'll ever buy.

You're buying a car that comes with a low oil light, because the FB25 engine eats oil, so sad.

I really hope you get one of the good ones, because it seems like not many people have much luck with SOA trying to get things fixed if you end up with an oil eater.

I'm glad I got a 2010 before the new CAFE engines came out. Figured they would have some issues to work out. Seems like the best advice is to monitor oil on dip stick every week or two.

Question:Did they finally fix the dipstick? It is always a paing in the neck to get accurate readings on it.

Last edited:
I'd guess that this is yet another one of those advantages of CAFE and thinner oils to the end user.

I'll chime in here-
Review of the popular Subaru forums indicates that oil consumption with the new FB series engines using 0w-20 oils varies widely- from excessive to nil. Even accepting that some proportion of the bad or good claims are exaggerations, I'm lead to the conclusion that there really is a large variation in consumption, using the specified 0w-20.
Aside from the obvious variable- "hard" usage versus "easy" usage, you can bias things in your favor by how you break-in the engine. (I do not subscribe to the idea that the initial ring seating that occurs during the first factory start-up is all that determines oil control ring characteristics).
For what it's worth, here's how I am breaking in my 2014 Impreza (FB20 engine, CVT)- 1) moderate to heavy throttle often - make the engine work, 2) no redline runs before 1000 miles, 3) liberal use of the paddle shifters to downshift.
About 1700 miles on the car at the moment. No oil consumption so far.
Also- Subaru now recommends the first oil change at 7500 miles. Based on the factory fill UOAs I've seen, I'm doing it at about 3750 miles. This was the previous years 1st change requirement.

Go for it. Although I've never used the Mazda 0W-20, you will see a lot of positive reviews of it here. I started with M1 in my '13 Outback, which has the same engine, and switched to PP when I got a good rebate deal. I'm very happy with the PP. Engine starts easy in cold, and runs very quiet.

Originally Posted By: ColdCanuk
Watch for oil consumption.............

Notorious oil eaters, anything under 1 quart per 2000 miles is normal for Subaru.........look at the owners manual, carry extra oil.

Don't concern yourself greatly with this. This is way over exaggerated. While it does happen, it is fairly uncommon. I have almost 19,000 miles on mine, and have not needed to add any oil between the 7,500 mile OCI. On the Outback forum that I visit, most of us report no issues. Carry extra oil? This is scare tactics.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Fill her a half a quart to begin with.
smile.gif

Super bad advice. Always bad to overfill any engine, but very bad with a Boxer.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Perhaps a US built engine issue.

Subaru does not build engines in the US. All US built Subarus have Japanese built engines and transmissions.

Not sure if it's my interpretation of some of these statements, but it looks like some of you believe that the oil consumption problems are only exxagerations.

SoA has released TSB's for some , but not all, of the oil guzzlers.
This includes Japanese built Foresters and Imprezas and U.S. built Legacy's and Outbacks. http://techinfo.subaru.com/static/whatsNew.html

Yes, there is an engine plant at SIA in Indiana.

Quote:
You'll get a glimpse at the engine plant where the famous Subaru BOXER engine is assembled.

http://www.subaru-sia.com/25th/index.html

-Dennis

I've got a one exactly like yours.THere has been no oil consumption whatsoever.My only problem has been finding non Honeywell filters.
You've got one of the best oils available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back