K&N vs. Motorcraft FL820S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better in terms of long term engine durability? I'm using Red Line Synthetic oil at longer drain intervals. Need to know which one will protect for a longer period. This is for a slightly modded 4.6L 2003 Mustang GT.

Thanks!

quote:

This is for a slightly modded 4.6L 2003 Mustang GT.

mf: I, too, have a slightly modded 2003 4.6L, but it's in a Marauder. I've got 20,000 miles on it, so I'm using the Motorcraft filter and M1 5W-30, with 5k OCIs, until the warranty is up...there's no way Ford can complain if there's an oil-related issue and I'm using THEIR filter...

I'll probably still use the Motorcraft filter after the warranty runs out...the K&N is an excellent filter, but I can buy 4 FL820S for the cost of 1 K&N...

[ February 04, 2004, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: RF Overlord ]

Yep, and the Motorcraft has a silicone anti-drainback valve, which will last longer than the nitrile rubber valve used in the K&N.

I'd rather use the Motorcraft and change it every 5,000 miles rather than use a single K&N for 10,000 miles or longer.

Plus, the top-off at filter change will help the oil...

It probably depends on how long your "extended drain" is. It's been over a year since I got some info on K&N filters from their tech support people, but at the time they advised not to exceed the manufacturer's duration, or 6,000 miles. They specifically said their filters are not for extended use. If you're serious about their product, you may to consider sending them an email directly. Hard to find any tech support on Motorcraft filters, but I think most Ford OCI's max at 5K for normal service.

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:
I'd rather use the Motorcraft and change it every 5,000 miles rather than use a single K&N for 10,000 miles or longer.

Same here (4.6 ltr F150). In fact, I wouldn't use ANY filter for 10,000 miles.

I used the K&N once or twice. Very expensive and I recall having the worst cold start knocking/slap ever with that filter on. Can't say for sure if it was the filter (I stopped using AMSOIL and M1 which is what was in the pan when I used the K&N filter) but at $10.00 each I think they are a waste of $$ unless used in a racing vehicle where the burst strength is needed.

Mikep

Thanks to everyone for the imput. I don't go to the track often, so I will, at most, be a little hard on the accelerator after a red light.

Does the Motorcraft filter have fairly good flowability?

THX
cheers.gif

cool.gif
I switched to a K&N on my Ranger after I picked one up. I figure anything that heavy ought to hold up if I whack it on a rock off-roading. I do a 5k OCI with Mobil 1 so I'm not worried. A mostly stock 4x4 Ranger with an OE limited-slip can do some truly amazing things off-road BTW.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
Thanks to everyone for the imput. I don't go to the track often, so I will, at most, be a little hard on the accelerator after a red light.

Does the Motorcraft filter have fairly good flowability?

THX
cheers.gif

I think the K&N would flow better though I admit I don't have any specs on the motorcraft. The K&N is supposed to be a high flow filter for racing so I guess it SHOULD flow better. I've read in more than a few places that the Motorcraft is a Purolator filter but again, no concrete evidence.

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back