TYC Cabin Air Filters - Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone using TYC Cabin Air filters? Will be due to check/replace the cabin air filter in our Cruze in a few months. Just checking prices and see this is pretty cheap ($7 for the TYC versus $20-$30 for Mann, Wix, Fram). Are these any good or pretty cheap construction?

I just got one off Amazon. Cost me 6$..looks like any other cabin filter. maybe a bit thinner than others.. but it should do just fine...

Of the 2 air filters, engine and cabin, engine air filter is much more critical and you want to buy the high quality even if it costs more. Cabin air filter can be replaced with home furnace filter since it isn't importance, some years ago no vehicles had cabin filter and no one suffered without it.

I just replaced the OEM filter in my Tacoma after 17k miles with the TYC I got off Amazon for about $7. It was hard to tell the difference between the TYC vs the OEM.

This is what the old looked like:

20131231_150509.jpg

The TYC cabin filter for my Honda CRV did not quite fit the frame. I had to modify it(cut and re-glue). I have used them on other vehicles and the fit was ok. I won't buy any more TYC cabin filters for this car (no fitmnent problems with Denso, Fram, Purolator fitting).

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
Will be due to check/replace the cabin air filter in our Cruze in a few months.
I wouldn't wait, unless you have already established a regime.

I replaced the CAF is my sister's RAV4 and then checked it again less than a year later and it was filthy and had a varmint nest on top of it. I tell her to replace it every 6 months now.

No regime yet (this will be the first time on this car). I pulled the one in my parent's Cobalt which apparently was in for ~75K... not great but better than I would have guessed. Latest will probably be another 2 months (4,000 miles).

Have used the TYC CAF a couple times. Mine is $8 on Amazon so I put a new one in every year. Plus the frame is stiffer and made on plastic, not cheap cardboard.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
No regime yet (this will be the first time on this car). I pulled the one in my parent's Cobalt which apparently was in for ~75K... not great but better than I would have guessed. Latest will probably be another 2 months (4,000 miles).

Interesting...
When I had my 2003 ION, I had to replace the filter more than once before I reached 75,000 miles. I used ACDelco and Wix. The car would really stink if I didn't replace them once every 2 years, or about 24,000 miles.

About TYC http://www.genera.com/quality_assurance.html

The frequency to change the filter depends on the local conditions. Mine are good for many miles. Other localities require more frequent changes. Late winter with the high dust on the road from sand & salt can soon fill any air filter, as well as summer dust.

Florida's warmth & humidity will contribute to mold growth and smell. There might be a brand of filter that contains an moldicide/mildewcide ingredient.

I'd use a TYC cabin filter since the price is good, and its a cabin filter.
I (myself) would go a better brand though for engine air filter.

Just received mine from Amazon, for my Subaru. It is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a WIX or MANN, but appears to be of equal quality, and is the right size. I'm going to order a few more.

Amazon really shows the markup on auto parts at local stores.

Most stuff can be had for half the price of autozone or whatever.

Add in my prime account, and I have been buying everything from them.

I won't say it's [censored] that nobody suffered from not having a cabin filter, but things could have been better. Especially allergy sufferers that can not have much cleaner air in their cars.

Also those who commute in heavy traffic daily and have the filters with the carbon to absorb many of the pollutants so they don't have to breathe them in.

For the Cruze the ACDelco cabin filter (CF176) has impregnated charcoal. My recollection is that it is a really robust, decent filter. I put one on my sister's Cruze. And oh look, it's only four times the cost of the one you're buying. I don't know, the added $$ might be worth something. I'll keep using the Delcos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back