Oil for my 84 Nissan 720 Pickup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to figure out what oil I want to use for my 84 Nissan Pickup. It has the 2.4 liter Z24 SOHC engine. I started out putting in 10W30 Mobile 1 High Mileage oil. I've got some valve train noise so I'm checking the valve clearances, but the chance that it is still in spec, should I change to Rotella 15W40 or Chevron 400 15W40?

You may have valves out of spec or lash adjusters that are bad (not sure of the internal parts) all common to small engines. The cam followers in my Mercedes has the same issue, just have to replace the worn parts.

Worked on a Z engine before but nothing internal.

I would put whatever you want in but 5w/10w-30 should be fine, I wouldn't recommend 15-40 unless you have issues or have excessive wear.

I run 15-40 in my d21 hardbody with ka24 and thats only because it has crazy amounts of blow by in 2-3k miles of driving it severly thins.

That engine has an adjustable rocker for lash adjustment.

Run whatever 30 grade oil you can get cheap, it's not picky.

While you are inspecting it, make sure your timing chain isn't too stretched, the tensioner functions correctly, and that the chain guides don't have too much wear.

The timing chain seems fine. After I set the clearances to proper spec for the valves and put in Chevron Delo 400 LE 15W40, the engine really seemed to quite down, more after I replaced the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back