BMW 5W30, 13.3kmi, 2009 BMW E90 N52 w/ 66,778mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is! After finally having gall and patience to wait long enough to get an extended run interval, I have the results I expected and many have been saying for a while: BMW intervals are too long (and further cementing in my mind the reason why they altered late model recommendations). I swapped the oil filter around 8k during this interval and didn't have to add any oil. I don't particularly care for the copper being where it is at - I'm hoping someone tells me it really isn't THAT bad. This is the first time I've run the oil longer than 8k (I like to do a changing of the guard [oil filter] and oil around 7.5k even though the car came with extended maintenance) since I've owned the car which was picked up at 39k CPO. The oil monitor is still saying 6k until bingo (but BMW will allow me to change it around the 3k mark). I may just swap it out with some cheapo ST 5W30 for the few remaining miles since it has done well in my wife's car.

Please opine.

c5s8.jpg

Not sure where the copper is coming from but other than that It looks good other than the fact that the TBN is done.

I don't think you mentioned how much time is on this oil but something less than 13,000 miles, 11,500 or 12,000 might be a better maximum OCI.

I think running a cheap 5W-30 for have the OCI (keep the same filter) is not a bad plan.

With the TBN down to 0.7, I am confused why Blackstone would recommend going to 15,000 miles for an OCI. I would drop down to 10,000 miles, and see what the TBN is then.

Last edited:
The new 10k oci applies to bmw's made after July 2013. In other words, 2014 models. I've never seen any explanation for the move.

My only guess is fuel dilution/heat from turbo's. I've never seen in BMW literature exactly why it changed.

Honestly, I think it's not so bad of a report. Not sure about the copper. Otherwise, not so bad.

I can't believe the monitor says to go 6k miles more though, that is silly.

I have a 2000 BMW 528i, which also has the N52 engine. I do a change once between the intervals indicated by the OLM, or once a year whichever comes first. Lately it's been once a year.

The shop foreman at the BMW dealer suggested that more frequent changes (than the OLM indicates) would be a good idea "if you want to keep the car for a long time".

I use GC, and change the OEM filter every second change (ie I run the filter for the full interval). The filters come out very clean.

ecotourist

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
I have a 2000 BMW 528i, which also has the N52 engine.

A 2000 528i would have an M52 engine. Its successor was the M54 engine, and its successor in turn was the N52 engine that the OP has.

[/quote] A 2000 528i would have an M52 engine. Its successor was the M54 engine, and its successor in turn was the N52 engine that the OP has.
[/quote]

You're right, in a 2000 528i it's an M52, an M52TU to be exact (that's the double Vanos version of the M52).

Ecotourist

I think the guy at Blackstone that made the comments is wrong with his 15k mile change recommendation for the next oil fill. Normally Blackstone recommends changes when TBN reaches 1.0, so I would conclude that 13k miles is too long. Try an OCI of 10k on the new oil (assuming you refill with BMW 5w30).

Except for Copper, the wear metals are quite low. Especially the Iron, considering the miles.

Last edited:
So the million dollar question - where in the heck is this copper coming from? I thought a bearing or piston ring...

Is there any copper plumbing that the oil is exposed to. That's all I can think of as far as where it's coming from.
What are the valve guides made from?

13.3k miles or *kms*??

Please clarify, as there is a big difference. If it's 13.3k KMs, then that oil is [censored] and BMW should be pistol whipped for suggesting longer OCIs with it.

Ahh... 13.3kmi is 13.3K miles. FYI, for us canucks, when we see the two letters 'k' and 'm' together we start to wonder.

Either way that oil is done and the OLM is dead wrong.

Yes, it is 13,300 miles. I cannot wait for the day that the US FINALLY switches to SI units...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back