second pistol or 22 LR conversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CZ75 series are very nice pistols.

The CZ conversion is quite expensive (like about the same as the Ruger IIRC). Also remember you cant convert either the Kimber or CZ pistol purchased as a .22 to 9/45 so you have to buy the center fire pistol, then the conversion.

Beretta also makes a conversion for the 92 series although it is darn near impossible to put your hands on one.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
The CZ conversion is quite expensive (like about the same as the Ruger IIRC).

Yeah, it's definitely not a budget setup. The Kadet conversion lists at $391. The 75 B lists for $499 and the SP-01 for $660. Not sure if retail prices are going to be any less than list, and who knows if they're even going to be available anywhere. Going to see if LGS/Range has one for me to try.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I have a favor to ask... can we go back on topic?
Topic is closed, everyone said pretty much the same thing. Keep the Ruger and get a simple defensive pistol. You don't like either bit of advice but keep asking the same question.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
The CZ conversion is quite expensive (like about the same as the Ruger IIRC).

Yeah, it's definitely not a budget setup. The Kadet conversion lists at $391. The 75 B lists for $499 and the SP-01 for $660. Not sure if retail prices are going to be any less than list, and who knows if they're even going to be available anywhere. Going to see if LGS/Range has one for me to try.

Go to a gun show or shop and feel the pistol before you decide on buying it. ALWAYS molest a pistol before purchasing it......

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Go to a gun show or shop and feel the pistol before you decide on buying it. ALWAYS molest a pistol before purchasing it......

Absolutely! I'm going to make some calls this week and see if I can find someplace with one to look at. I'm hoping the indoor range that I usually go to has one I can rent and try.

Originally Posted By: wsar10

Absolutely! I'm going to make some calls this week and see if I can find someplace with one to look at. I'm hoping the indoor range that I usually go to has one I can rent and try.

I do apologize for prev. posts.
BUT you gotta educate yourself a bit about technique when having a gun for defense.

anyway,
an indoor range to try it before you buy it is PERFECT.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
andyd said:
I've been told by the man who gave me the instructions needed to get my license, that the best thing for home defense is 12 gauge pump shot gun loaded with buck shot. Just the sound of racking in a shell is enough to give anyone pause. Pistol has too much velocity and requires too much accuracy.

While I agree a 12gauge pump action shotgun is one of the best HD guns when loaded with #1,#0,#00 or #000 buckshot at HD defense ranges you definitely need to be accurate. The spread on buckshot is minimal at HD ranges (5-10yards). At these ranges you will be throwing a fist sized spread of buckshot. Even at 25 feet 00buck will only pattern about 20" or so. If you use tactical buckshot (such as low recoil Federal LE shells) for HD the spread can be only a few inches even at 50 yards. Your standard 18" barrel tactical shotgun will definitely require expert shot placement. A shotgun is still an experts weapon. I can shoot slugs all day at 50yards and place bulls-eyes but it takes practice and knowing your weapon.

Last edited:
OP Update: I really liked the CZ 75 B so when I found one available, I pulled the trigger. It fits my hand nicely and the ergonomics are great. I do have my work cut out for me in terms of shooting accuracy. I put 30 rounds of Federal Champion FMJ 115 grain (from Walmart) through it the other evening and was shooting most everything quite low. I shot most of the rounds in SA mode but practiced de-cocking and shot a handful in DA mode. My initial focus was to get the feel for handling/operating the gun when loaded.

I have a Glock 23 (mid-size .40) that I use for self-defense/CCW and I purchased the Advantage Arms .22LR conversion for it. I like the fact that I can practice with less expensive .22LR and have the exact same trigger pull and the same sight picture. The weight of the pistol and the recoil is quite different, however.

The Advantage Arms conversion kit is extremly reliable with the right ammo. The conversion kit instructions specified what types of ammo to use and the recommendations are spot on. I use the Remington Golden bullets and have only had one stove-pipe failure out of over 1000 rounds. That's pretty impressive. The American Eagle and Federal ammunition that works very well in my Ruger 10/22 would not even cycle the action and was single shot.

The cost of the conversion kit is about the same or more than a nice .22LR pistol so I guess the decision depends on how much you value practicing with the same trigger and sight picture.

OP Update: I really liked the CZ 75 B so when I found one available, I pulled the trigger....

An excellent choice.

They produce that pistol as a .22 and sell a conversion (although the conversion is quite expensive). I'd still keep the Ruger, but the Kadet kit might also be a worthwhile investment.

Edit: I see I already said that, sorry...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Any update from the OP on the newly purchased CZ 75B? I am considering the same. Thanks.

I like it! I like the very solid feel, the ergonomics, and the way it fits in my hand. But with that said... a) I've only had the opportunity to fire 60 rounds with it thus far, and b) I'm a novice when it comes to firearms and don't have enough experience with many other 9mm pistols to make any kind of comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back