High boost E85 oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post as i have been researching the crxp out of oils for my cars. I will never need the usage out of my oils in my cars except my street/ track car.

a little info on the car and where I was leaning towards for my decision.

Nissan sr20det fully built spec:
sleeved 2.2l
solid lifter conversion head capable to 10k+ rpm (85-9k limit i'm thinking)
high boost application 35-40+psi
E85 fuel

Now the engine is fully built and even though its a sunny day street car i will thrash the ever living pxss out of it, with some non competitive drag races and possible HPDE it may see.

I was leaning towards shell helix ultra/ PU euro as my oil choice since ill probably be changing it every 2-3k. Doing a little more research I am now leaning towards shell helix ultra racing 10w-60/ PU racing 10w-60.

Just a little input and opinion would be nice for my setup and what you guys think I might use for oil for this specific car.

My power goals are 600-700 whp ( turbo and cam limiting) and revving to about 9k rpms.

have there been any reviews of this oil I've never heard of it but im still pretty new to researching engine oils.

Last edited:
In a past life, I was involved (in a very minor way) in turbocharged engine development, for both race and production vehicles. We quickly learned all the basics that are so common today. Piston squirters, robust connecting rods, capable bearings and managed oil temperature/pressure, using dry sump systems when ever possible.

More recently, but still many years ago, I did some "turbo miata" road racing. With max boost at 33 pounds, and more commonly 25PSI. In an attempt at better high RPM performance, I used 0W-20 oil and very rapidly ended up with a UOA of 250PPM Pb! Clearly, I trashed a perfectly good engine by choosing an oil that was not up to the task.

After the engine overhaul, it was back to M1, 15W-50 and frequent OCI's. Even then, after a while, the 15W-50 started showing slight signs of not being robust enough (loss of proper pressure at a given temperature) . This coincided with Mobil's change in formula from a Group IV syn to a VISOM based Group III. I then switched to M1 20W-50 V-Twin oil purchased at Wal-Mart. That worked as well as the previous 15W-50, and oil pressure remained acceptable at 240 degrees on the track. UOA results were good on both oils.

It's interesting to me that the M1 15W-50 has a higher pour point than the 20W-50 and that the 20W-50 remains more viscous at 100C! I'd guess that the 20W-50 still contains at least some Group IV base stock.

Your choice of oil seems superb for such an application.

Last edited:
single turbo? how laggy is that on a daily-driver basis?

i would start with mobil 1 0w40 and change it after 2k miles, and get an UOA and see how it holds up. it is spec-ed or factory fill for the nissan gtr and mitsubishi evo, if i'm not mistaken.

depends on oil temps.

if you are breaking 250F you want really heavy

if you have oil temp under control a lighter weight is possible.

Yes it is a single turbo and if you read through my post this is not my daily at all. i have 2 other cars i can drive. This is also a fully built engine with intentions of high boost and possible fuel dilution from running e85. I understand what is factory spec'd for evo and gtr but this is a race built engine even if driven on the street.

Originally Posted By: Rand
depends on oil temps.

if you are breaking 250F you want really heavy

if you have oil temp under control a lighter weight is possible.

This is what i was thinking i'm glad you brought it up as i didn't mention it. I will be putting an oil cooler setup on it to keep temps in check hopefully. My concern was the possible blow by and extreme pressure i'll be running.

Originally Posted By: phil240
Yes it is a single turbo and if you read through my post this is not my daily at all. i have 2 other cars i can drive. This is also a fully built engine with intentions of high boost and possible fuel dilution from running e85. I understand what is factory spec'd for evo and gtr but this is a race built engine even if driven on the street.

Daily-driver basis = around town, not on the highways or at the strip, I was being vague and unclear, was just curious how throttle response is. Fully built or not, it's an outdated and inferior engine (the sr is the little brother to the vg's), a modern oil that can meet the demands of a vr38dett would more than meet your needs. Run a particular oil, test it, and see how it holds up.

Last edited:
Not making anywhere near that power, but in my high compression, high boost Bimmer, I have had nothing but phenomenal results w Redline and occasionally RP XPR.

Work colleague with a mega boosted mitsubishi running alternately E85 or PULP used Shell Helix Ultra.

Been doing more in my search to find a top of the line oil for my car. Now it looks like through my reading that redline, motul, and millers oils are some very good choices as well.

all have great supporting facts and the fact that nissan actually went to motul to design a specific competition oil points me towards motul. However I'm still not leaving out my initial choices although they are a group III oil.

I don't mind paying a premium for good oil and I wouldn't mind trying millers oil nanodrive but it really is pricey compared to motul and redline, and although i use redlines trans fluids religiously i'm not real big on using there engine oils ( my own retarded views and since nissan sought out motul).

Been doing more in my search to find a top of the line oil for my car.

From the outside looking in, it seems that your search is focusing more on brand name prestige, $$$$, and marketing.

Have you bothered to look at what other high-output SR20DET guys are running with success? You may just be surprised -- I sure was.

I don't mind paying a premium for good oil and I wouldn't mind trying millers oil nanodrive but it really is pricey compared to motul and redline,

Not as pricey as rebuilding an engine after an oil related failure
wink.gif
But seriously, spend a few more dollars in the short term for more power and more protection in the long term, you know it makes sense..plus Millers supply F1 teams, along with WRC, BTCC and some Daytona and Indy500 teams.

If you want some other options, the Gulf Competition and the Fuchs Titan are also very well respected motorsport oils. details here
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/vsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=10w60

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Been doing more in my search to find a top of the line oil for my car.

From the outside looking in, it seems that your search is focusing more on brand name prestige, $$$$, and marketing.

Have you bothered to look at what other high-output SR20DET guys are running with success? You may just be surprised -- I sure was.

In my experience it usually goes you get what you pay for, now that being said is not always true. If you have information on oils high hp import or sr20 guys are running with success please share it. I don't consider 400whp high hp I'm looking for a minimum of 600whp.

I haven't gotten that far to bother people about the oil they run yet as this is the forum to come to, to learn and i'm still a little ways from first crank so.

Originally Posted By: Olas

I don't mind paying a premium for good oil and I wouldn't mind trying millers oil nanodrive but it really is pricey compared to motul and redline,

Not as pricey as rebuilding an engine after an oil related failure
wink.gif
But seriously, spend a few more dollars in the short term for more power and more protection in the long term, you know it makes sense..plus Millers supply F1 teams, along with WRC, BTCC and some Daytona and Indy500 teams.

If you want some other options, the Gulf Competition and the Fuchs Titan are also very well respected motorsport oils. details here
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/vsearch.aspx?SearchTerm=10w60

I'm not going to say i won't have oil related failures no matter what oil i run, but millers price point is top of the line premium. There are plenty of other awesome not as expensive oils out there.

I'm not saying i'm objective at all to trying it but 1 it doesn't have a lot of proven time out there as the top of the line oil as it's still newer to the market and 2 although i really would like to try it it's first use for me would not be in my 15k engine and too expensive to run in a very hard driven daily driver.

If you have information on oils high hp import or sr20 guys are running with success please share it.

The general consensus with SR20 guys is Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 for high output applications.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
If you have information on oils high hp import or sr20 guys are running with success please share it.

The general consensus with SR20 guys is Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 for high output applications.

Don't get me wrong i like RT6, but where are you hearing that high hp sr guys are running it? I run it in moderate horsepower cars and yes it is a good oil, but most sr20 guys run a 10w-40 or thicker. Although I haven't talked to my engine builder about it others he's built engine for said he recommends 20w-50, a little thick to me but the FSM even states you can run it above 50*f.

As I have said earlier this is a high hp build, yes street driven but a looser tolerance motor. General consensus I found was a lot of guys who make real power or straight race there cars run 15/20w-50 with the occasional 10w-40.

I may try a 5w-40 for winter or right off the bat but I want the best oil for my specific situation not general consensus drift tards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back