low(no) compression - worth fixing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The patient is a 4 year old Husqvarna 125B handheld leaf blower. Compression test shows about 60psi. To confirm the Autozone loan-a-tool tester is reasonably accurate, my Husqy trimmer clocked 140ish psi. Looks like Jack's has everything from piston rings up to full cylinder/piston replacement parts.

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks!

-Brent

Just depends on whats wrong. I'd take it apart and see. Then hit ebay and parts websites. A piston and ring will set you back $25, but a cylinder will be twice that or more. At that point, you're not far from the price of a good used blower, complete.

Even if you can't fix it, disassembling and tinkering might be fun. Many people on this site maintain that small engine repair is a great hobby that helps you better understand automobile repair.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Even if you can't fix it, disassembling and tinkering might be fun. Many people on this site maintain that small engine repair is a great hobby that helps you better understand automobile repair.

It's the reason I pick up old lawn mowers that others are throwing away. I find it fun and relaxing to take them apart. Sometimes I'm even able to fix them using parts from other mowers and then I give them away. I have even used the pistons out of old mowers or old chainsaws/string trimmers etc to make handles and knobs for various things.

I also keep in mind, when a piece of OPE does need repair, you can usually find another just like it to buy used or damaged for parts, and then you're set for quite a while. I have enough mower parts to last for a long time, and three self propelled mowers in working order to boot, with a fourth well on it's way to being in service.

If the parts and labor is more than 1/2 the cost of the machine, your best bet is to replace the unit. My string trimmer is a throw away model for that reason and I paid Lowes for a 2-year warranty knowing that ethanol will trash the carburetor in less time than that.
Small engine power equipment is disposable like everything else from CHINA

let me fix that for you
Originally Posted By: Dufus2

Small engine power equipment is disposable like everything else from CHINA that is made to spec for the companies selling it.

Before you go too crazy, try to determine if the engine has a compression release "hole" in the cylinder. Some 2 strokes have a nifty little hole drilled above the exhaust port. This allows the engine to be cranked easily, without affecting power output. Engines with that type of compression release will display very low compression.

Also, take a look in the exhaust port and see if the cylinder/piston is scored badly. If it was run without oil, it's possible that the crankshaft could be bad too.

Since it is a homeowner quality blower, probably not worth fixing if it's worn out.

If you don't mind playing with it, it could be an easy fix.

Could be a scuffed piston/seized ring. You might unstick it, use a bit of emery cloth to dress bad spots, and throw it together. Worked on some old Lawnboys.

Piston kits are #25 to $30 (piston/ring/pin/retainers). Main problem is it looks like the crankcase and cylinder are one assembly. If the cylinder is in too bad a shape, it is new engine time, and that makes it time for a new blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back