I need a single bolt. How hard can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dodge dealers around here wanted 36 bucks for the front shock absorber (to lower control arm) bolt. I went to the Ford dealer and the guy at counter pulled a matching one from a spare bin for free.

Isn't the pan held on with like eighty bolts? Put the other 79 in and see if it leaks first. Heck, around here a slow oil leak is a good thing for keeping rust at bay.

^ They probably pay about the same, except for mission critical strut bolts etc.

My saturns had a bazillion of those 10mm headed bolts, seems their CAD designers decided if more clamping was needed they'd just drill more holes instead of using bigger bolts. Exhibit "A", the AC compressor bracketry. Probably also helps assembly. This is 99% of the reason for finding torx headed fasteners.

Originally Posted By: gr8gatzby
I need a single trans pan bolt. Ford part #N605904-SA. Not sold at AZ/AA/O'Reily. This bolt, in a package of two can be found cheap online($2.50), but then shipping adds $11-$14 to the bill. The Ford dealer wants $8 per bolt. Anyone with an alternative solution here?

Ye Gads!! 4 pages?? I sent you a PM with my phone #. Give me a call. I have a blown 94 gc tranny with like 21 pan bolts in it. I'm sure they are the same. I'll give you as many as you need. I'm over on the east side in the Wilgrove area.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: JetStar
3 pages for a missing trans pan bolt????

LOL!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I got two Dorman flange bolts for my Buick that were identical to the OEM bolts except for the color -- the OEM bolts are silver and the Dormans are gold.

Then you should replace them all with gold so they match...
wink.gif

I didn't replace them all, but I do have the two golds ones right next to each other.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Any Local transmission shop will have plenty of these bolts.

How about a transmission shop supplier? We got one of those in town too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: TFB1
I got two Dorman flange bolts for my Buick that were identical to the OEM bolts except for the color -- the OEM bolts are silver and the Dormans are gold.

Then you should replace them all with gold so they match...
wink.gif

I didn't replace them all, but I do have the two golds ones right next to each other.
grin2.gif

Maybe alternate gold, silver, gold etc... Could start a new trend...

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: gr8gatzby
I need a single trans pan bolt. Ford part #N605904-SA. Not sold at AZ/AA/O'Reily. This bolt, in a package of two can be found cheap online($2.50), but then shipping adds $11-$14 to the bill. The Ford dealer wants $8 per bolt. Anyone with an alternative solution here?

Ye Gads!! 4 pages?? I sent you a PM with my phone #. Give me a call. I have a blown 94 gc tranny with like 21 pan bolts in it. I'm sure they are the same. I'll give you as many as you need. I'm over on the east side in the Wilgrove area.

Wayne

now there's a solution I like.

Seems like the best answer is for the bitog'rs that have vast bolt stashes to visit the OP, inspect be area where the bolt is missing, post photos, have another 5 page discussion about suitable replacement. Although eljefino will be helpful, the bolt wont come from his stash because his stuff is too rusty. a side discussion will ensue about how professional mechanics are hacks and thieves, especially dealers, and that's why the bolt is missing. Once a replacement is determined from the bolt stash we need to discuss sealants for 3 pages. Then we need to discuss torquing procedures for 2 pages and torque wrenches for a page. At this point the another bitog'r will attempt to torque the original pan bolt with a Chinese made wrench, then someone else will not feel secure about the accuracy of that torque at which point another bitog'r should volunteer to go over there with a Snap-on torque wrench. That will cause a 3 page discussion on the fact that not everyone has the budget for top of the line tools, a few comments about German made tools, Canadian Tire, and Harbor Freight screwdrivers will be made.
At the end of this, The Critic will come over to the OP's house and correct the vehicle's paint...
After all of that, gr8gastby will have saved $8.22 and many bitog'rs will feel warm and fuzzy.

LMAO

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Seems like the best answer is for the bitog'rs that have vast bolt stashes to visit the OP, inspect be area where the bolt is missing, post photos, have another 5 page discussion about suitable replacement. Although eljefino will be helpful, the bolt wont come from his stash because his stuff is too rusty. a side discussion will ensue about how professional mechanics are hacks and thieves, especially dealers, and that's why the bolt is missing. Once a replacement is determined from the bolt stash we need to discuss sealants for 3 pages. Then we need to discuss torquing procedures for 2 pages and torque wrenches for a page. At this point the another bitog'r will attempt to torque the original pan bolt with a Chinese made wrench, then someone else will not feel secure about the accuracy of that torque at which point another bitog'r should volunteer to go over there with a Snap-on torque wrench. That will cause a 3 page discussion on the fact that not everyone has the budget for top of the line tools, a few comments about German made tools, Canadian Tire, and Harbor Freight screwdrivers will be made.
At the end of this, The Critic will come over to the OP's house and correct the vehicle's paint...
After all of that, gr8gastby will have saved $8.22 and many bitog'rs will feel warm and fuzzy.

How about buying some M8x1.5 allthread and cut it any length you want. Just put a nut on it and presto you have universal length bolt stock.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hsd
How about buying some M8x1.5 allthread and cut it any length you want. Just put a nut on it and presto you have universal length bolt stock.
cool.gif

But what grade would the nut need to be???

Only the following metals will suffice for this bolt replacement:

A29 / A29M - 12e1, either of which meet the standard specification for general requirements for steel bars, carbon and alloy, hot-wrought.

TI6AL4V (titanium alloyed with 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium)

IGCN (Industrial Grade Carbon Nanotubes) >50nm OD with a minimum of 90% purity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back