2010 Chrysler 3.8L burning oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with the 2010 Chrysler 3.8L "burning" using oil? Ours has 43,000 mi and is consuming 1 qt per 1,000 miles. Which is "normal" per their service bulletins. Is there a better oil to reduce use? Using Mobil 5W20 conv.

2010 Chrysler T&C 3.8L 2 stroke

There were problems with 3.8L engines built in Mexico that had the rings installed upside down which caused oil burning issues. You might want to see if your engine was one of them. There's a lot of info all over the www about them. Chrysler is going to tell you qt. of oil/1,000 miles is perfectly fine.

Originally Posted By: nepadriver
Since he is in Michigan from the looks of his profile, wouldn't a 0w-40 Mobile 1 be better for him this time of year versus a 15w-40?

You're absolutely correct -- 0w/5w-40 would be vastly superior.

I read that thread a bit more, people in colder climate reports synthetic 10w-30 even improved performance, perhaps 0w-40 Mobile 1 now,switch to 5/10w-30 by June-ish for him, both synthetics. Stay away from the conventional. Or even just try a 0/5w-30 full synth now to be safe.

Pretty common for the 3.8 to burn oil. Though, the people with Chrysler blinders on will say you have the *only* 3.8 engine to burn oil ever.

5/10w-30 helps with the oil consumption.

Originally Posted By: nepadriver
I read that thread a bit more, people in colder climate reports synthetic 10w-30 even improved performance, perhaps 0w-40 Mobile 1 now,switch to 5/10w-30 by June-ish for him, both synthetics. Stay away from the conventional. Or even just try a 0/5w-30 full synth now to be safe.

Remember that we're fighting high oil consumption here due to piston ring issues -- ideally for that purpose, we want something that's as thick as possible while still maintaining acceptable cold weather performance.

I'd say Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 with a FL-400S from Wal-Mart. You'll be out the door for $30.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Demarpaint is right -- it's a well-known issue.

Doesn't mean you can't do anything about it, though: http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/15w40-heaven-210282/#b

5w-20 out. 5w-40 in.

I didn't say you couldn't do anything about it. I just mentioned the problem and that it was all over the www. The truth is if the rings are in fact upside down the engine should get a ring job. Chrysler has done just that for many people who put up a good fight.

OP-If you decide to use a 40 grade I'd go with Mobil 1 0W40.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
While the 3.3 and 3.8 are similar engines,seemingly only the 3.8 burns oil.

and while his burns oil mine just leaks it all over the driveway
smile.gif
. I would at least go to the dealer if ur car could possibly have the rings improperly installed. It will likely be covered and provide u with peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: anpconnors
Anyone have experience with the 2010 Chrysler 3.8L "burning" using oil? Ours has 43,000 mi and is consuming 1 qt per 1,000 miles. Which is "normal" per their service bulletins. Is there a better oil to reduce use? Using Mobil 5W20 conv.

2010 Chrysler T&C 3.8L 2 stroke
How is the dealer going to know if you tell them its burning more then a quart per 1000 miles??

If you can use one of the dipstick pumps, pull about a pint out at 300mi, within the next 200-300mi it'll be a qt low, take it back to the dealer...

There may be something you can do to actually get a brand new car for free...Really
Call a Lemon Law attorney from a larger lemon law firm and talk to them they are absolutely free... Call them for free and talk to them. i dont know the laws in your state but they may be able to help.

The 3.3 and 3.8 both commonly burn oil. A fix typically is a pcv valve replacement or going to 5w30 or thicker synthetic with a really low black.

Mother in law is running Pennzoil ultra 5w30 in her 06 3.3 caravan and after 5k on this run its only down 1 Qt. Previous run of valvoline conv. It burned 2 QTS in 3k miles.. Gonna stretch her OCI out to 7500 as its first run of synthetic. Next run will be Amsoil Signature series 10w30.

Originally Posted By: steveh
How is the dealer going to know if you tell them its burning more then a quart per 1000 miles??

They won't you have to beat them at their own game.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
If you can use one of the dipstick pumps, pull about a pint out at 300mi, within the next 200-300mi it'll be a qt low, take it back to the dealer...

Exactly! As they adjust the acceptable miles per qt. of oil from 1,000/qt, to 800/qt to 600/qt. to match your use, you be one step ahead of them. When you get to about 400 miles/qt. or worse they'll start talking.

my parents have the exact same vehicle and engine combination, what a pile of garbage.

The engine has 100 thousand miles on it now, new it burned 1 liter (quart) every 1000 miles using 5/30, now it burns 1 liter every 500 to 750 miles.

The solution was to switch to 15w40, the oil consumption has drastically slowed.

Forget about Chrysler helping you, as stated above they will tell you 1 quart every 1000 miles is "normal"

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
my parents have the exact same vehicle and engine combination, what a pile of garbage.

The engine has 100 thousand miles on it now, new it burned 1 liter (quart) every 1000 miles using 5/30, now it burns 1 liter every 500 to 750 miles.

The solution was to switch to 15w40, the oil consumption has drastically slowed.

Forget about Chrysler helping you, as stated above they will tell you 1 quart every 1000 miles is "normal"

1 quart per 650 was considered normal when my parents got rid of their 08 Wrangler.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls

Indeed. That's why I offered the suggestion of Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-40 earlier -- similar viscosity @ 100ºC, but superior cold temperature performance.

@Anpconnors: FYI - if you do choose this oil, it does an exceptional job of cleaning and will get very dark and absolutely disgusting looking in short order. Don't freak out.

They will seal your dipstick tube and drain plug and run an oil consumption test (IIRC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back