Handgun dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the range over Christmas and realized a major flaw with my 92FS. It shoots low, and I can adjust my eyes to shoot it where I need to but that means covering up the target with some guesswork.

I rented a Sig P226 and that gun punched holes within 3" groups at 10, 15, 20 yards and shot right where I pointed it.

I have a Ruger SP101 on layaway but can change my mind and put a different gun on layaway.

I have three possible choices here :

1) Keep the 92FS and try to keep guessing where I'm shooting, and get the Ruger SP101 .

2) Trade the 92FS in on a Sig Sauer SP2022 (pricewise they would be about an equal trade) and get the Ruger SP101 too

3) Trade the 92FS, forfeit the Ruger SP101, and get a Sig P229 Duo Tone [two mags, tac rail, night sights] which is a concealed version of P226, for carry.

Ruger SP101 was $500, the SP2022 is $479, the P229 is $869. I can quite possibly get the SP101 in the future if I decide to spring for the 229, but I will have to wait a year or more (agreement with the wife). There is no wiggle room, this is what my wife and I are agreeing on.

Carry is a concern here, this will be a carry weapon.

Help me decide, thanks!

I am a Sig fan and have an older version of the P229 in blacked out stainless. I have fired thousands of rounds through it with ZERO issues. I vote for option #3.

I'm partial to revolvers, and had some issues with a recent Sig, but I still think option #3 is the way to go. In my opinion, the most important feature a carry gun can have is that you fully trust it to do its job in a life threatening situation. My Sig didn't give me that, so I got rid of it. But I think mine was just a lemon, and still like the brand, and that 229 is a fine weapon. My brother is issued one as his primary sidearm by the federal agency he works for, and I've never heard him say anything bad about it.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
that means covering up the target with some guesswork.

They are called 'combat sights'; your 92FS is probably shooting true.

Didn't your Hi Point also shoot low and to one side?

Is it possible the issue lies elsewhere from the weapon?

All of my Beretta's, and the Tauri clone of the open slide Beretta's, are quite accurate. Certainly as accurate as a Sig, of which we have many, because my wife likes them (for some reason).

My 92FS shoots dead on. Since the parts are all the same in your gun, including the sights and how they're mounted in the slide, I wonder about this. I would have a good gunsmith take a look, and let another shooter see how it shoots.

It's possible that you've got a problem, but in my experience, the Beretta is every bit as accurate as the SIG... Slightly more so, because of the longer sight radius.

Last edited:
Wait....you're using the 92 as a carry weapon?!?

Pretty big gun for that. It's very reliable, so no issue there. And for carry, you need reliability, size and accuracy. So what if you're an inch or two off on a paper target at a range. How does it do in rapid shots to center mass on a silhouette?

Quite frankly, a P226 is about as good as it gets in a 9mm, the only that may be better is a Browning Hi-Power. Before you trade the Beretta you may want to try some heavier bullets as they typically raise the point of impact.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Quite frankly, a P226 is about as good as it gets in a 9mm, the only that may be better is a Browning Hi-Power. Before you trade the Beretta you may want to try some heavier bullets as they typically raise the point of impact.

I shot my reloads (8 grains of Alliant Blue Dot, Berry's FMJ) as well as factory ammo. The Beretta shoots a little better with my reloads but the accuracy still leaves a little to be desired.

Also, if the problem was me, wouldn't I be having trouble with the 226 as well? I also shot the Shield and was able to hit COM pretty well at all distances within 10 yards. Beyond that it got pretty sketchy with a few flyers here and there. Initially I hung a little to the right with the Shield but was able to correct it immediately. The 92FS shoots CONSISTENTLY almost to a FAULT in the same place - but that same place is low and in order to get on target (for instance, to hit COM on a silhouette I had to aim for the neck) I had to aim far off from where I was pointing. As if the bottom of the trigger guard was the POI. I don't like that. I like to point the gun like I point my finger, choose where the bullet is going to go, and have it go there.

That's where the Sig shined.

r03xfs.jpg

You should be following #3.

Edit: Not all guns have combat sights...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gabe
r03xfs.jpg

You should be following #3.

Yep, read up on that. Still shoots low. I'm not saying I couldn't ever possibly be at fault, but I'm pretty sure it's the gun. My LE friend shot it low, and my wife hits the bottom of the paper (although that isn't saying much, she's fairly inexperienced). My FIL has had a hard time acquiring the right POI with it too.

Mine works right at image 2. I don't shoot it often, it's actually my wife's pistol....

Wind age with fixed sights can be tweaked, but elevation? Well....wonder if there isn't something wrong with it. What about a set of Meprolights, or another good lowlight sight...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Wait....you're using the 92 as a carry weapon?!?

Pretty big gun for that. It's very reliable, so no issue there. And for carry, you need reliability, size and accuracy. So what if you're an inch or two off on a paper target at a range. How does it do in rapid shots to center mass on a silhouette?

Sure beats carrying around a .50AE desert eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back