MC FL-500s (OEM) | 1,905 miles | Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dumped the factory fill in the Explorer a bit ago (1,905 miles on it) and refilled with some MS5K 5W-20 for a short OCI to 5K and then will likely switch to Kendall to see how it likes it.

One thing I noticed was the OEM filter was quite a bit longer than the FL-500s that is specified in the owner's manual. It caused me to double check the OM to ensure I had the right filter. I am hoping that BDCardinal or one of the Ford guys will chime in and give a clue why this is. It made me wonder if Ford installed a different filter at the factory. I saved the OEM so that I can compare to the retail FL-500s that I will dissect when I change it again.

Pleats were nice and tight and construction was very good (as expected). The only thing I did not like was there is a heat shield that has to be removed to gain access to the drain plug. The filter was very easy to access and install (it is mounted in a vertical position). At any rate enjoy!

qgm5.jpg

ogqx.jpg

gfdq.jpg

1m9l.jpg

r1bi.jpg

omei.jpg

v5ev.jpg

8abg.jpg

ujv4.jpg

1ujz.jpg

0y0b.jpg

h3bm.jpg

gk8b.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
One thing I noticed was the OEM filter was quite a bit longer than the FL-500s that is specified in the owner's manual. It caused me to double check the OM to ensure I had the right filter. I am hoping that BDCardinal or one of the Ford guys will chime in and give a clue why this is. It made me wonder if Ford installed a different filter at the factory.

A lot of car manufacturers use a different filter from the factory then what's available from the dealer. Filter looks well built.

So was there anything else on that filter besides "FoMoCo"? Reminds me of the old generic beer in a white can with the word "BEER" on the side.
grin.gif

FjMxq.jpg

Id stick with MotorCraft.

they are very good oil filters and for the $ you get what you pay for and more.

that stands for Ford Motor Company

the FO MO CO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
So was there anything else on that filter besides "FoMoCo"?

Nothing other than some production codes on the dome (it was a generic as it could be):

tj5v.jpg

Originally Posted By: David1
Id stick with MotorCraft. they are very good oil filters and for the $ you get what you pay for and more. that stands for Ford Motor Company the FO MO CO

Not to be snarky, but I would hope that I would not find A/C Delco on it.
grin.gif

Teasing aside, you are quite right and for at least the next 100K miles it will be nothing but MC filters on it. I have 10 more on deck which should carry me there.

Originally Posted By: David1
that stands for Ford Motor Company

the FO MO CO

Yeah, good thing the dudes putting it on the can weren't dyslexic.
grin.gif

Since Ford is specifying a full OCI right from day one, perhaps they are installing a larger filter from the factory to catch the known residue from building materials.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Since Ford is specifying a full OCI right from day one, perhaps they are installing a larger filter from the factory to catch the known residue from building materials.
Could be (although I never do that on a new engine); but it would be nice to know what they installed so that owner's could have a choice in MC filters. Although it is OK for them to install a larger filter from the factory, if we as consumers deviate, the battle could ensue about warranty status...blah, blah, blah. You know how it goes...

Factory FoMoCo filter Champ made, thread end bypass similar to M1 design. And retainer spring very similar to/same as STP S2808 shown in link below. Only the in STP S2808 retainer spring also serves a 'clicker' type dome bypass.

And of course replacement Motorcraft made by Puro. Thanks for the pics.

STP S2808 dissection

I noticed the same thing on my Mustang. Been using the FL-500S with good UOA results. I look forward to the comparison, thanks.

That's a Champ all right, looks good. Ironic that the factory filter is a Champ and the Motorcrafts are Puro's.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

The motorcraft oil filter on the shelf is made by whoever will make it for the price they want to sell them for. It has to please the consumer.

The factory installed one is made by whoever will make it the cheapest to their specs. It has to do what they spec it to do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Where are you buying the FL-500S oil filters?

AAP with a code...

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
The motorcraft oil filter on the shelf is made by whoever will make it for the price they want to sell them for. It has to please the consumer.

The factory installed one is made by whoever will make it the cheapest to their specs. It has to do what they spec it to do.
Motorcraft filters have been confirmed by Purolator to be made by Purolator, and the factory filters confirmed by Champion to be made by Champion. Not that this can't change in the future, but it's been this way for at least the last 20 years.

I disagree; it has to meet the specifications and warranty requirements--price is a secondary consideration. IMHO I do not believe that Ford would sacrifice the warranty of the engine in the quest to save a few cents from the filter, especially with the amount of testing they do regarding oil and engine life. Purolator has been the maker of MC filters for many years now and MC filters are very good (even for non-Ford vehicles).

I disagree; it has to meet the specifications and warranty requirements--price is a secondary consideration. IMHO I do not believe that Ford would sacrifice the warranty of the engine in the quest to save a few cents from the filter, especially with the amount of testing they do regarding oil and engine life. Purolator has been the maker of MC filters for many years now and MC filters are very good (even for non-Ford vehicles).

+1
thumbsup2.gif

BTW, did you take those pics with your Canon camera?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
+1
thumbsup2.gif
BTW, did you take those pics with your Canon camera?

hehe...no; still the S3 mobile phone. I never think to look for the Canon and the phone is right there...

My point was that the motorcraft filter has to meet different specs than what the factory filter has to meet. It has to be what ford specs and what people will buy for a price that they will buy.

The factory filter has to meet ford specs and be whatever price they are willing to pay.

Fords specs on the two filters can very well be different also. It is whatever their engineers and accountants say it can be.

Also the motorcraft filters being made by purolator is all well and good but ford could decide tomorrow that they want to put it up for bid or tell puro that they need to make the filters cheaper. As long as ford is happy and the manufacture is happy and the product will sell, nothing else matters.

Last edited:
My point was that the motorcraft filter has to meet different specs than what the factory filter has to meet. It has to be what ford specs and what people will buy for a price that they will buy.

The factory filter has to meet ford specs and be whatever price they are willing to pay.

Fords specs on the two filters can very well be different also. It is whatever their engineers and accountants say it can be.

Interesting theory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back