How much longer will CS4 be around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DTD has $25 off of these at the moment. I can get a set of 4 for my Focus for $300! With mounting myself and bringing to a shop for balance, I can have a new set of tires for $325. Can't complain with that!

Looks like they have been out since 07. Is that a long run for a tire? Will they be discontinued soon?

I like how well they work in non-snowy conditions. I have put a few miles on a friend's car in the rain and definitely did not feel unsafe with them even though they are pretty well worn.

Since I run snow tires in the winter, I don't have to worry about their poor snow performance.

My concern is if I buy a set, they get discontinued and I have a blowout / unrepairable flat, etc. I'd have to run a mismatched set.

Just bought a set of 185-70-14 for $184 shipped after $60 mail in rebate, from discount tire direct. Mounted them myself. They have exceeded my expectations so far, don't need much balancing and much better in the rain that some other low priced tires I've tried.

Six more years.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: heynow
Just bought a set of 185-70-14 for $184 shipped after $60 mail in rebate, from discount tire direct. Mounted them myself. They have exceeded my expectations so far, don't need much balancing and much better in the rain that some other low priced tires I've tried.

The excellent wet traction (even against standing water!!) really impresses me for such a cheap tire.

If they're selling like hot-cakes, there's not much reason to discontinue them. The Michelin PS2 has been around forever too (10 years?) because it's a good tire.

No idea how long they will be around but I can give you my impressions of these tires. (They are on my wife's 2005 Focus.) They are very good in the rain and snow. Feel very surefooted and safe. Can't comment of tire life. They balanced w/very little weights. One thing I will say, they seem to have a stiffer ride on this car. It could be the two side-wall plies. Overall, a very good tire IMO.

Well I haven't heard of a replacement for the CS4 yet! Also, Cooper recently replaced the Lifeliner GLS with a tire called the CS3, presumably to have more a cohesive family feel to their tire lineup, which sounds like the CS4 isn't going anywhere soon.

Michelin's Primacy MXV4 has been put for years with no sign of any other tire replacing it.

The Dunlop SP Sport Signature has been out since at least 2007 if not earlier than that, and there are no signs of slowing down. In fact, it's still among the top tires in its segment and even back-ordered in some sizes!

One more thing to consider is that cheap tires get refreshed less often than premium tires.

I think there are two ways to look at this:

1) Cooper transitioned the Lifeliner to the CS3 as a way of streamlining the product line up, and to reduce confusion. That would indicate that the CS4 will stay put for a while.

OR

2) Cooper has transitioned the newly redesigned CS3 as a replacement for the slot being held by the aging CS4, and the CS4 will be moving on to a new design soon.

Would it be an all new tire, or a refresh of the current CS4? A July 2013 article in Modern Tire Dealer mentioned the "next generation CS4".

Cooper has replaced the ATR with the A/T3. They've come out with the quite LTX looking HT3 to add to the HT offering (and the HT is decades old).

Don't know. It would seem that the CS4 might be ready for a refresh in 2014.

I'd like to see them refresh the CS4 as well as the Discoverer CTS in 2014.

My parents have CS4s on their Mercury Villager and granted they only have a few thousand miles on them but I was actually really impressed with their snow performance for an all-season (coming from my own personal vehicle that has dedicated snows).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back