Security Global and Champ oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may know, I work for Havoline Xpress Lube in the Chicagoland area. I'm currently working at our Northbrook location while we get the finishing touches at our Fox Lake location before opening and taking over (as manager) that store. Anyway, I thought you'd appreciate an inside look on the filters we use. We are currently finishing up using the Security Global stock and switching to the Champs. A switch which I'm not all too thrilled about given Champs insistence on e-core design. I recently changed the oil on my mom's Charger with the 3.5l V6 so I figured I'd snap a couple pictures of the two filters for it.
Security Global-

Champ-

AC Delco has been using those E-core filters for a long time with out any problems. If it is good enough for them.....

The Product of the USA stamp is reason enough for me to chose the Champ over the Made in China alternative....

On the plus side, I like the idea that they are switching to a US made/sourced oil filter. On the something less than "thrilled" side, as mentioned a good number of these will be ecores, but not all.

The switch will put your HavXP in line with Firestone service stores and Wally TLE which also use the Champ sourced line of oil filters. Interestingly the Havoline branded oil filters that have been sold at Fred's for some time are Purolator 'made fors' similar to Pep Boys ProLine. Weird.

The phrase "leak tested" on the dome combined with a cello base seal now look to be tell tale signs of made in China filters.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248

AC Delco has been using those E-core filters for a long time with out any problems. If it is good enough for them.....

The Product of the USA stamp is reason enough for me to chose the Champ over the Made in China alternative....

Agree on both statements.

Not sure if it's been noticed but the Champs also lack adbv's, unless it's hidden under the baseplate.

That is exactly what I said when I bought mine (for my GM vehicle no less) but I wouldn't buy one again now that I know all about them. For the same price as a Puro Classic why get the ecore? In fact I've actually bought a PureOne to replace my ecore with next OCI.
cool.gif

Ecores are used by thousands of cars on the road every single day (which is why mine doesn't bother me) but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't seek one off the shelf either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RamFan
Not sure if it's been noticed but the Champs also lack adbv's, unless it's hidden under the baseplate.

No, they really do have an adbv, but the Champ ecores add an auxiliary (outer) base plate/tapping plate. It used to be advertised as a beneficial feature by Champ when the ecore was first introduced. It's purpose is to make it easier to line up the threads of the filter with the engine threads in blind installation applications. I do believe that it is an improvement over the standard thread boss arrangement without such a plate. The base plate design without the ecore extra plate can be seen on some small
As for GM using ecore, true though from my reading many discerning GM diy folks still look for and prefer the classic ACDelco design. And as frequently noted most GM engines have the bypass function in the engine, so no nitrile combo valve is needed for bypass function, it just has an adbv. Imo, that would be a plus for using ecores in those GM applications.

And the ecore open nylon cage design is used in a majority of cartridge filters with seemingly good success. But, the difference I've seen between the ecore and cartridges, the cartridges posted here have much tighter uniform pleating than the some failed ecores posted here. And there's no nitrile combo valve involved in the bypass function of cartridge filters.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: RamFan

No, they really do have an adbv, but the Champ ecores add an auxiliary (outer) base plate/tapping plate. It used to be advertised as a beneficial feature by Champ when the ecore was first introduced. It's purpose is to make it easier to line up the threads of the filter with the engine threads in blind installation applications. I do believe that it is an improvement over the standard thread boss arrangement without such a plate. The base plate design without the ecore extra plate can be seen on some small
As for GM using ecore, true though from my reading many discerning GM diy folks still look for and prefer the classic ACDelco design. And as frequently noted most GM engines have the bypass function in the engine, so no nitrile combo valve is needed for bypass function, it just has an adbv. Imo, that would be a plus for using ecores in those GM applications.

And the ecore open nylon cage design is used in a majority of cartridge filters with seemingly good success. But, the difference I've seen between the ecore and cartridges, the cartridges posted here have much tighter uniform pleating than the some failed ecores posted here. And there's no nitrile combo valve involved in the bypass function of cartridge filters.

Great info! Good to know they do indeed have an adbv.

Decided to cut open two used filters today to truly compare the two. I must say, I'm genuinely impressed with how well they're built and would run either without concern.

Excepting the COO and based solely on construction 'my' preference would be for the SG filter, just me. That said, again from what I can see the ecore shown looks to have fairly tight uniform pleating. Hasn't been the case on some ecores posted here. And the ecore shown is for a GM application, so just a nitrile adbv with no combo bypass function is required. I would like to see at least a couple more verticle columns in nylon cage, but the one shown did hold up well. Wondering if oci length is known.

I'm thinking that you are outside the norm when it comes quick lube bay employees. You likely know more about filters and oil than even the higher ups. I'd say the customers at your HavX are fortunate to have you working on their vehicles.

Off topic but going to mention, it's distracting when thread pics go horizontal and horizontal scroll is needed, messes up the feng shui or flow of reading the thread. But at least once logged in they do go verticle, until one replies.

Nonetheless, thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
At least the Champ has a decent number of pleats, unlike some PH16 Frams I've seen in the past.

That's what surprised the most. I was expecting an e-core ocod.

Agreed. Although I try not to be xenophobic, I do prefer to support companies that still make things here.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I'm thinking that you are outside the norm when it comes quick lube bay employees. You likely know more about filters and oil than even the higher ups. I'd say the customers at your HavX are fortunate to have you working on their vehicles.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back