MoS2 testing - sound levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can MoS2 be made in transparent color? Does anybody sells it that way?

No. Its a mineral that's ground up into micron sized particles.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Sheaffers uses mos2? I'd have to actually see that since the only oil I've seen with mos2 actually in the oil is liqui-moly 10w-40.

I'm not sure if 'testing' is the same as 'seeing' but here are the test results from Petroleum Quality Institute. Shaeffers is loaded with moly - one of the highest levels in use, compared to other popular oils tested.

It's likely organic moly and it's different and works differently.

Oil analysis doesn't reveal the type of molybdenum in use. Yes, organic moly is different. It's not clear what you mean by 'works differently'.

Organic moly and mos2 don't work the same way. Organic moly can only leave a layer 1 molecule thick which is quickly worn off at start up. Mos2 layers and once cooled becomes very hard so at start up the layer is more durable.
That's what I mean by different.

Sheaffers uses mos2?
I'd have to actually see that since the only oil I've seen with mos2 actually in the oil is liqui-moly 10w-40.
Its likely organic moly and its different and works differently.

According to the tech sheets readily available on their site, it is liquid soluble moly. And according to testing done by PQIA, the level of moly in Schaeffer's dwarfs anything else by a multiple of 5 times in most cases.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker

Sheaffers uses mos2?
I'd have to actually see that since the only oil I've seen with mos2 actually in the oil is liqui-moly 10w-40.
Its likely organic moly and its different and works differently.

According to the tech sheets readily available on their site, it is liquid soluble moly. And according to testing done by PQIA, the level of moly in Schaeffer's dwarfs anything else by a multiple of 5 times in most cases.

Good to know, they must load up their oil with moly for a good reason. I never used their oil, but I've only read and heard good things about it.

Organic moly and mos2 don't work the same way. Organic moly can only leave a layer 1 molecule thick which is quickly worn off at start up. Mos2 layers and once cooled becomes very hard so at start up the layer is more durable.

That certainly makes an argument in favor of MoS2 over organic moly - more durable start-up lubrication.

Sadly, start-up lubrication may be a pretty low priority to the oil / automotive industry. Most engines easily last 100k+ miles with nothing extra done for start-up lubrication. Beyond that, the oil companies/car makers/etc. simply don't care.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
If you don't mind buying by the case, you can get the MoS2 for $5.70 per can (including delivery) from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B...ler=&sr=8-1

That's a good price at Amazon and the shipping is free. But you have to buy 20 cans - total $114.06. You will have enough MoS2 to weather the zombie apocalypse.

DubNutz has it for $5.75 per can. Shipping for 8 was $10.

Discounts at some NAPA stores are available with you have AAA membership or are part of the NAPA Advantage program (which is free).

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
If I am using Mobil 1 products will there be any benefit by adding this supplement?

Mobil-1 already has about 85ppm of moly - probably soluble moly - in the mix, so someone at Mobil thought it was worthwhile: Mobil-1 Analysis.

A few messages above, in this same thread, Clevy opined...

... Organic moly can only leave a layer 1 molecule thick which is quickly worn off at start up. Mos2 layers and once cooled becomes very hard so at start up the layer is more durable...

So, you should get better start-up lubrication with MoS2 in the soup.

Moly in any form reduces friction and heat. But, there already is some moly in Mobil-1, so adding more will not necessarily reduce friction more or reduce heat more. It might, but it might not.

If there's a chance of taking a bullet in your sump, then MoS2 might get you back home (or maybe back on the ground). MoS2 will probably do this better than soluble moly.

Originally Posted By: Nebroch
I'm running with Mobil 3000 X1 5W-40 in those pictures, propably it doesn't matter too much what oil you use. There is one exception though:

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/en_1091.html?OpenDocument&land=DE

It may not matter too much, since many popular motor oils contain soluble moly. The German LiquiMoly folks are seriously into MoS2. Perhaps the largest consumer use of MoS2 was also sponsored by a German company - Volkswagen. Maybe they know something. Or maybe German consumers pay better attention to engineers.

As for the other oil companies, there are many reasons why an oil company might use or not use a particular additive in a mass marketed oil. MoS2 is a suspended solid and the settling properties might be an issue. Personally, I think it is the color - it makes the oil turn black and the public simply does not like the appearance!

Also from this thread...

Originally Posted By: Injured_Again
I also used Arco Graphite motor oil back in the early 80's. I remember my dad asking why I would put something that black into the crankcase. I went on and on about all of the supposed advantages, but never did get him to try it just from that perspective.

As for the other oil companies, there are many reasons why an oil company might use or not use a particular additive in a mass marketed oil. MoS2 is a suspended solid and the settling properties might be an issue. Personally, I think it is the color - it makes the oil turn black and the public simply does not like the appearance!

Settling is a problem, and user should know it. The additive that I used was asked to be shaken well before adding it to a warm engine. And after applying engine should run for a while to distribute stuff evenly. Obiviously some would not follow these instructions, and blame the manufacturer for possible damages..

Originally Posted By: Nebroch

Settling is a problem, and user should know it. The additive that I used was asked to be shaken well before adding it to a warm engine. And after applying engine should run for a while to distribute stuff evenly. Obiviously some would not follow these instructions, and blame the manufacturer for possible damages.

I'm sure the Walmart shoppers would follow the instructions and shake well before using.

It may not matter too much, since many popular motor oils contain soluble moly. The German LiquiMoly folks are seriously into MoS2.

Except that their oils don't have that additive.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
...The German LiquiMoly folks are seriously into MoS2.

Except that their oils don't have that additive.
wink.gif

Don't have moly or don't have MoS2? Do you have some secret inside information on the LiquiMoly product line? Please share it with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back