bmw oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need to change my oil in my 05 bmw 325xi ,, for first time ,, i bought it used .. could someone help me with this ,, do i need to run synt oil and what weight

thanks

Originally Posted By: lilrobo
i need to change my oil in my 05 bmw 325xi ,, for first time ,, i bought it used .. could someone help me with this ,, do i need to run synt oil and what weight

thanks

Owner's Manual

Page 120 and 121 might be a good start.

Any of these oils are BMW approved and available at most auto parts stores:

Castrol Edge 0w30
Castrol Edge 0w40
Valvoline SynPower 5w40
Mobil 1 0w40

When it,s a petrol engine. The bmw LL01 might be. More suitable then the LL04. The reason is that the LL04 is a low/mid SAPS oil with lower tbn.

That being said, the LL04 is totally backward compatible with the LL01 and LL98

I run Mobil 1 0W-40 in the identical engine and change it every 7,500 miles using a BMW filter. That has worked for me for over 159,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I run Mobil 1 0W-40 in the identical engine and change it every 7,500 miles using a BMW filter. That has worked for me for over 159,000 miles.

This.
For European vehicles I don't think there is a better choice,especially for the price.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: MCompact

This.
For European vehicles I don't think there is a better choice,especially for the price.

+ another....using this in 08 328 I6.

thanks guys ,, good info there

its git 120k on it now hope to see many more

wow 8 qts thats a lot of oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
the LL-04 is the most current spec.

Is LL-04 specified for the 2005 model/engine the OP owns,or is that the current spec for today's models?

thanks guys ,, good info there

its git 120k on it now hope to see many more

wow 8 qts thats a lot of oil

Another reason to buy the M1 0w40 for $25 per 5.1 quarts and stretch it out to 7,500 miles so your not wasting money. You will pay at least $7 per quart for the BMW dealer synthetic oil when the M1 is less than $5. Heck they used to have this stuff on rollback IIRC it was like $22.47 around these parts, a heck of a deal.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
the LL-04 is the most current spec.

Is LL-04 specified for the 2005 model/engine the OP owns,or is that the current spec for today's models?

It's backspec'd/supersedes the older ones like LL-98, sort of like how API SN oils supersede SM.

Also, since it's not a diesel, he technically needs LL-01, but LL-04 oils do meet LL-01 requirements (just not the other way around).

thanks

Did you even think to read the owner's manual for oil quantity or quality?

Start with BMW LL-01 and a good filter.

Even though bmw LL04 replace both LL01 and LL98. LL04 is mainly for the European market,and low sulphur petrol and diesel.Therefore the LL01 will be better for American high sulphur petrol. Because of the higher tbn.

I don,t now if American petrol still has more sulphur then europen?. If not LL04 is all good.

Originally Posted By: shDK
Even though bmw LL04 replace both LL01 and LL98. LL04 is mainly for the European market,and low sulphur petrol and diesel.Therefore the LL01 will be better for American high sulphur petrol. Because of the higher tbn.

I don,t now if American petrol still has more sulphur then europen?. If not LL04 is all good.

LL-04 does not replace LL-01. They are two different specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back