Prestone Dexcool Vs. Prestone Entended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, Its my understanding that the Prestone Dexcool and the normal Prestone Entended Life coolant and pretty much the same. I got this email from Prestone about it.

Good Afternoon Don,

You would be perfectly fine to switch your vehicle over to Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze, or even to use that coolant to top off the Dex-Cool antifreeze currently in your truck. Those two coolants are extremely similar as they use all the same corrosion inhibitors, the Dex-Cool simply has a higher concentration of some of them in order to meet the GM spec.

We offer the GM Dex-Cool so that people can have the peace of mind that comes with filling their car with a manufacturer approved coolant, but we are fully confident in the Prestone Extended Life's ability to provide your cooling system with all the corrosion protection and heat transfer capabilities it requires. Please let me know if you require anything further.

Sincerely,

Aaron Jones
Prestone Consumer Relations Representative
Phone: 203-731-8191

So, After reading this email, It seems the Prestone DEXCOOL has more additives? Whats the deal. Learning up on coolants. Thanks all

I see no reason to use an all makes/all models coolant like Prestone Extended Life unless its 9:00 PM on a Sunday night and you are low on coolant and thats all you can find.

It seems simple to me, if your vehicle came with Dexcool, continue with Dexcool by any number of manufacturers. If its G-05, continue, same with an Asian vehicle using something like Zerex Asian.

If I wanted an all makes/all models so I could have only one coolant in my garage for many vehicles, I would consider Peak Global.

I don't see an issue using the extended life antifreeze there are certiantly benefits switching too it, such as cost and availability. My Saturn is filled with mostly Prestone Dexcool and some supertech universal 50/50 and it hasn't exploded/rusted out or other wise failed.

If you are concerned on having the extra additives, as prestone put it, stick with dexcool, if your not as worried about that go with the universal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SF0059
As the most interesting man in the world would say, "I don't often go OEM, but when I do, it is for coolant".

Who is this most interesting man?

Originally Posted By: George7941
Originally Posted By: SF0059
As the most interesting man in the world would say, "I don't often go OEM, but when I do, it is for coolant".

Who is this most interesting man?

Stay+Thirsty.jpg
cheers3.gif

I am a bit out of the loop as far as popular culture is concerned since I don't watch TV. I don't recognise the man in the picture. Never seen him.

I am a bit out of the loop as far as popular culture is concerned since I don't watch TV. I don't recognise the man in the picture. Never seen him.

How did you know he was on TV then?
wink.gif

I did not know that for a fact but since most of popular culture arises from TV I made the assumption. I find TV boring and it always amazes me how people spend so much time watching TV and how much they know about the personal lives of TV stars.

I don't drink either, so I had never heard of Dos Equis beer. I would probably fit the opposite title of "The most boring man in the world"

I did not know that for a fact but since most of popular culture arises from TV I made the assumption. I find TV boring and it always amazes me how people spend so much time watching TV and how much they know about the personal lives of TV stars.

I don't drink either, so I had never heard of Dos Equis beer. I would probably fit the opposite title of "The most boring man in the world"

That would be this guy. Not quite as popular though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back